You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Waist Twists  (Read 1985 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Waist Twists
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »
The three-turn discussion in the On Ice Skaters forum reminded me that I really think waist twists are vital to figure skating.  The motion is similar to turning to get something off a desk to our right or left without moving our chair.  That shoulders-against-hips twist is used for edges, turns, spins and jumps, plus it helps build core stability in the skater's body. 

Add slow upper-body twists to your off-ice workout, so that you get the flexibility and strength to turn the shoulders without the hips and lower body. 

Here are some ways to add it to your off-ice workout:

. Wii Fit and other video exercise games include these exercises.  Make a workout.
. Yoga Warrior pose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKhTKDXo3c/
. Old-school waist twists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTZYMaO3z-A/
  (Little too fast, but you get the idea)
. Twist and hold, then try to walk forward - it's hard, but that's what you have to do for three turns, so give it a try!

I think twisting and holding for 20-30 seconds per rep brings the best results.  Start with a few short sets and then increase the counts.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
Re: Waist Twists
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »
I like to practice this position while brushing my teeth. Also helps to do some knee bends while you hold the twist -- be sure to keep the knees over the toes and don't let your feet roll in, don't let your knees jam together.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Waist Twists
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:35:57 AM »
Is this the same twist needed to perform back double rockers? (Back inside rocker - forward inside rocker).