You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do Jackson width sizing run narrower than regular shoes?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline ubmuaer

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 16
Do Jackson width sizing run narrower than regular shoes?
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »
Do you know if Jackson ice skates width sizing run narrower than regular shoes?  I know that Jacksons run wider than Riedells, but how does it run compared to regular dress shoes and sneakers?  I always thought I had relatively skinny feet and I always took a standard B width for regular shoes, but I followed Kinzie's Closet size chart and I measured out to a C width.  Just wondering if I'm possibly measuring wrong.

Thanks so much for all your help

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Do Jackson width sizing run narrower than regular shoes?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:25:34 AM »
I know this isn't an answer, but even different brands and sometimes different models within the same brand of sneaker fit me differently.

Wouldn't it be cool for skate manufacturers to publish insole sizes and shapes, for each size and width? Insole size and shape isn't everything, because feet are 3 dimensional, but it's a good start.

Skates should fit much more snugly than normal shoes, because if your feet shift at all inside skates, below the ankle, you are likely to lose control and/or injure yourself. "Diabetic feet", which are easily damaged by snug fit, should probably be fit by experts, and those skaters should be more careful limited in what they do.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
I would not worry about correlation of skate boots size to the street shoes.  I wear  a 6.5 in street shoes, but measure to a 5.5 in Riedell and 6 in Jackson.  Also, some skate boots run narrower, so a B in one manufacturer would be an equivalent to a C  in another with the same width measurements. 
The best thing is to get professionally measured, even a 1/4 inch in skating boots can be an issue, even though in street shoes a 1/4'' difference in width is easily tolerated.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:08:33 PM »
"Diabetic feet", which are easily damaged by snug fit, should probably be fit by experts, and those skaters should be more careful limited in what they do.

I'm not even sure why this is relevant to the discussion but there are several of us on the forum that are diabetic and unless there is some sort of complication already in place (such neuropathy or poor circulation) our feet are no more delicate or at risk than anyone else's... my boots alone aren't going to cause me more problems than the next person.  Poor control which will ultimately lead to complications can, but that's another issue.  My feet are just fine and there's no pressing reason to treat them differently in skates just because of the "D" word.

Anyways, I wear really wide Jacksons (E ball, C heel) and I don't actually tend to wear wide street shoes unless I have to buy dress shoes.  I mostly wear sandals or my Vibram Five Fingers and those all tend to fit wider anyways.  I wear a 39 in Vibram or a 7 1/2 or 8 in most street shoes, and my Jacksons are 6.5's and fit great.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »
As best I understand it, "diabetic feet" are feet with such poor circulation that snug fit shoes cannot safely be used. It is extremely relevant to proper skate boot fit.

Not all diabetics have diabetic feet. I don't know whether "diabetic feet" implies diabetes.

See, for example

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/amputation-and-diabetes/DA00140

http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/amputation-for-diabetic-foot-problems-topic-overview

I'm glad you don't have this problem.