You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: "I am having so much fun fooling around"... favorite or crazy tricks on ice?  (Read 12425 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
I was working on my bronze moves today and then some bronze freestyle when I decided that it'd be a great idea to try a hydroplane.

Good news? I can get pretty low before I fall.

Bad news? I'm testing bronze moves in the morning and I'm so sore!

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
I have a back inside hydroblade into a loop in my program. When it works it's impressive but sometimes I get a head rush while I'm coming up into the set position!!

Loop as in the jump or the figure? A hydroblade loop figure would be amazing...

I can do a very fast chest-level "detroiter" with my partner which gets a lot of attention on publics! Unfortunately it's the opposite direction to how I usually rotate (mirror pair) and as a result get very dizzy... I think we'll put it at the end of our programme when I am allowed to collapse "artistically"  :D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Haha I think it's a hydroblade into loop jump. What is a hydroplane?

I've discovered that outside spread eagle in deep squat works very nicely for me. In the normal position I worry about extended knees, pushing hips forward etc. and slow down significantly, but in this deep squat position I glide so fast at times it was freaky.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
My bad. Hydroblade. :) it was late when I typed that. Lol.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Here is a thread with hydroblade tips.
http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,635.0.html

There is a girl at my rink with her upper body horizontal to the ice during inside hydroblade. It's a beauty to watch.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
My bad. Hydroblade. :) it was late when I typed that. Lol.
I make that mistake all the time, too.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
I've discovered that outside spread eagle in deep squat works very nicely for me. In the normal position I worry about extended knees, pushing hips forward etc. and slow down significantly, but in this deep squat position I glide so fast at times it was freaky.

Turns out it was probably an outside besti squat. And saw photos of cantilever on Wikipedia. Wow, just wow.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Turns out it was probably an outside besti squat. And saw photos of cantilever on Wikipedia. Wow, just wow.

My coach does an amazing cantilever. I'm just too chicken to try. I'd rather have an ordinary spread than a cantilever.

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
A teenager I used to skate with occasionally explained the cantilever to me--she thought because I can lay flat on the ice during my hydroblade I should be able to do the cantilever. I just could not bring myself to even TRY to bend over backward in the low position--I was sure every ligament in my knees would pop out of place!!

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
New trick: half salchow.

Attempt a single salchow in your opposite direction, get the takeoff right, then pop the rotation, land forward and fall painfully on your butt.

Look over to see opposite direction skater friend laughing hysterically at your poor attempt at lefty skating.

Offline lindafmb

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 8
    • Fit Mind-Body Conditioning YouTube Channel
Latest trick that I can now actually DO on the ice (yay, 'cause it took a long time to master) is a variation on a Charlotte, but instead of keeping the free leg up in split position, I bend at the knee so my skate is over my head and looks like a scorpion's tail, and then I arch my back to look up. I usually do it while gliding backwards, but I can do it forward too--it's just scarier!

We call it the Scorpion.

Here's me practicing it at home back in November 2009, pre back surgery, before I could do it on the ice:

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Surprising success on this sequence: back outside shoot-the-duck, change foot into back inside hydroblade, change foot again into (very slow) back outside spiral. Actually feels decent when I don't splat on the spiral :D

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Isn't all figure skating "tricks"?

I like to play with all the arm and body motions my ice dance instructors have told me I shouldn't do, and exaggerate them to make them more dramatic. Not a real trick - freestyle skaters do it all the time.

Ice dances progressing clockwise instead of counter-clockwise about the rink.

Moon-walking. In my case, pushing my feet diagonally sideways and forwards to move forwards, or diagonally sideways and backwards to move backwards.

The moves where you pivot about a hand while doing forwards or backwards crossovers. Stole that one from a coach. Still can't do the other trick that coach made his classes do, where he spun on the back end of the blade.

Land style grapevines - toe on ice, extending sideways, other toe on ice crossed in front, extend sideways in point again, other heel on ice behind (to make it harder), repeat.

But I'm too old to do any real tricks. Wish I could do the things you real skaters can do.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Query, that sounds really cool! I still have not learned moon-walking yet, it's very popular with the flood of MJ programs!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
I have a back inside hydroblade into a loop in my program. When it works it's impressive but sometimes I get a head rush while I'm coming up into the set position!!

Now that loop became my best jump maybe I could try this!! For CCW is it LBI then step on RBO and jump? And LBI directly into salchow or flip?

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
I enjoy spread eagle into Lutz and Bauer into double Salchow. 

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Isn't all figure skating "tricks"?
````
But I'm too old to do any real tricks. Wish I could do the things you real skaters can do.
Yes, most of them are "tricks"

And give me a break...you are NOT too old lol! Two of the ladies in my skating group JUST got their flip & salchow and they are 55+ and 60+ respectively; one of the gentlemen I skate pairs with occasionally is 70+
so stop it!  ;D
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
Now that loop became my best jump maybe I could try this!! For CCW is it LBI then step on RBO and jump? And LBI directly into salchow or flip?

LBI hydroblade, then come up, step onto RBO and jump! (for loop)

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
Re: "I am having so much fun fooling around"... favorite or crazy tricks on ice?
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »
Back when I had a decent camel spin, I used to play with the catch foot, those spins that look like a rose. I suppose an "almost" beillman but sideways. I'll eventually get my camel spin back and try it again. Someday.

I like my turn out and love doing outside spread eagles. Bauers are also quite fun. Or headless scratch spins.
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: "I am having so much fun fooling around"... favorite or crazy tricks on ice?
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
I can't do it, but illusion spin is one of my favourites (it's also a fav of my first coach, who can do fab ones)

A skater I know has ina bauer into double loop in her program, which sounds cool

Actual ones that I can do, I like bunny hop, spiral, drag in combination, like attempting forwards-backwards drags, but only on smooth ice cause i always fall lol!

It's not really a trick, but the hip twists exercise from a high level field moves (I think it's some sort of back double three, jump into the air, twist your hips, land on the same foot thing...) looks really fun too!

Upright spin with a broomstick also good lol, that was for a show!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Running my test program today, and brain got confused whether it's lunge or bauer that follows the salchow. Well it gave me a hybrid! I splat and went back doing it over and over, and officially have a decent enough lunge into ina bauer!!!! :)  If coach does not object it will be part of my program: waltz - toe, waltz 3, salchow, 2 forward strokes, lunge into bauer, set and toe loop :)

The move does put a lot of pressure on left knee (lunge goes lower than my usual bauer) and right hip...

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
For some reason forward-to-backward lunges scare me to death. My coach forced me to try one once, and I fell pretty hard on my arm, so that didn't help. Any tips? I know it's just a 3-turn...I guess I just need to do it.

I don't have a lot of "fooling around" things, but I love doing backward shoot-the-ducks. I also love, love, love doing a scratch spin and grabbing my blade and pulling it up as I'm spinning, although I'm only successful about half the time.

And if I'm feeling gutsy and the ice is pretty smooth, I'll do lunges and then slide on my knee.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
I think forward to backward lunges are scary because there is very little control of direction once one is going backward. Also the falls can be awkward.

I still think the back lunge into split sierra mentioned would be very neat way to end a program! :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
Loop jump, sink from landing edge into (half-hearted) back outside shoot the duck, rise up and another loop jump. Is this a sequence or combination jump? The first half is not exactly working yet (has to do with checking I am sure), but the second half is consistent. :D