You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Shelf Life for Skating Programs  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Shelf Life for Skating Programs
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
May '11 I got new program/new music and used it until this May, '12. Coach wanted me to change my music.

So, just got a new program, new music, 30 seconds longer, new dress etc. Going to test it soon then use it for Pre-juv competitions next spring. I want to keep the same program to test Juvenile and compete Int SP (too old to compete Juv), so the next new program, Int FS, won't be for awhile.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »
I've had my latest program for the past, almost, year. The only reason why I changed was because I am starting to compete outside of the Basic Skills level, and need longer music. (Pre-pre and such)
But for the majority of the year I had my last program, my coach and I kept the same outline for the program. The connecting steps, where the jumps would go, when the footwork would be, stuff like that. But as I moved up a level, we would just switch the elements out, but keep them in the same place.
There are girls at my rink who've been using the same program for 2 years. Then,  there's my sister, who insists on new music for every competition. Haha. But, I prefer to keep the same music if possible, so I don't waste lesson time planning new programs, and can use the time to work on other elements. 
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
I first used my current free skate program last fall. Since then, I've changed the dress I wear with it, changed jumps, spins and footwork, adjusted it to work for an ISI competition, adjusted it to work for an exhibition and most recently added 10 seconds. I don't think I've had any competitions where we didn't change something in it. The competition I'm going to do in a month is the same one I made my program for last fall, but I'm doing bronze instead of pre-bronze.

So, it's the same general pattern and the same spin at the end. But almost everything else has changed.

Most adults in my area keep their programs for at least two years, but on the other hand they do fewer competitions than I do. After this, I probably won't compete again until spring, and I'm hoping to get a completely new FS program then. But I'll keep the artistic one we're creating now.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
I've had the same program/music for several years, mostly because I didn't compete for 3 years.  Am I sick of this music?  Yes I am .  Will I change this music soon?  No, not until I take my Adult Silver test, then I will use the music if I compete and finally put it to bed!  It cost so much to have this music cut I am determined to get my money's worth!

When I competed more, I changed music every year.  I would try to keep the music with a similiar theme so I wouldn't need a new dress.

Sidebar:  Years ago, I was at a competition where ALL the women in my group wore black dresses and all but 3 of us (there were 11 in the group) skated to the exact same music! :o
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 07:03:42 PM »
So, it's the same general pattern and the same spin at the end. But almost everything else has changed.
This is out of date now...we changed the spin a couple of weeks ago  ;D

I should add that I am way more exhausted at the end of my program as it is currently than I was a year ago! The jumps are much more challenging.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »
There comes a point when you DO outgrow a program or there's no more growth to be had from an existing one.  This for me, is about 2 seasons.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
I should add that I am way more exhausted at the end of my program as it is currently than I was a year ago! The jumps are much more challenging.

Ditto here. OTOH, programs should challenge the skater appropriately, not to the point of constant exhaustion, but not a cakewalk either ;)

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »
It cost so much to have this music cut I am determined to get my money's worth!

When I competed more, I changed music every year.  I would try to keep the music with a similiar theme so I wouldn't need a new dress.

I'm so glad my coach cuts my music and considers it as part of her job so doesn't even charge for it! (very lucky turnip who is very grateful to very lovely coach  :love: )

But yes, I got a black dress with sparkles, got a friend to add some more sparkles (again, for free, although I got her a thank you gift  :love: ) which I plan to use for competitions and tests until it falls apart or I somehow manage to lose a few stone!