You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hockey Clubs vs. Figure Skating Clubs  (Read 1411 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Hockey Clubs vs. Figure Skating Clubs
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
There's a rink near me that closed a few months ago due to financial difficulties.  The bank brought in an experienced manager and capital, so it's now being renovated quite nicely.  They're scheduled to open in mid August with a new name and new management.

I found it intriguing that the hockey programs are already in place.  The local hockey league stepped up to the plate and organized leagues, teams, registration, etc. based on the mid-August go date.

On the new rink's Twitter page, the management posted a little blurb saying that any figure skating people who wanted to "contract" ice time for lessons and freestyles should contact the management.  I don't skate or coach there, but I know they had a nice program.  I feel like a busybody, but I sent out two emails to a coach and a parent that I'm friendly with, just to make sure someone else knows about the situation.

The word "contract" intrigues me - I wonder if the hockey ice is all rental except for Stick & Puck/Pickup?  If so, I can understand why the sport of Figure Skating isn't growing: we no longer have skating clubs that step up to the plate and reserve ice time.  That was the traditional way it was handled pre-1990's, but you always had the issue of not having enough skaters to cover the cost of renting the ice.

I guess this is a bit of a rant, but how do you convince busy families that figure skating requires some upfront financial committment as well as a regular time committment? 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Hockey Clubs vs. Figure Skating Clubs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »
Well, the Canadian model requires that you belong to a club; you pay in advance for your seasonal ice fees.  We do have clubs that haven't been able to run their summer programs this year, but, haven't heard of any who are folding (although a bunch are running at a loss because of increasing ice costs). You can't just do "drop in" and not belong to a club if you want to test or compete; you have to belong to a club.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
Yes, but my example is in the US.  Thanks for the info.  The Canadian system was the way figure skating was coordinated before the mid-1970's.  US rink-run freestyles and Learn-to-Skate programs have really changed the dynamics of skating clubs in the US and I understand that it hasn't made its way north yet.  You're fortunate. 

Going back to my question, how do you pave the way (in the US) for clubs to rent ice time in order to be competitive with hockey programs that are so organized and have strength of numbers? 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
We mostly skate at an ISI rink.  I'd be hard pressed to say they need a club.  Our manager does a great job balancing the needs of figure skaters, hockey and public sessions.  We are very happy with the set up.  If there is a big hockey weekend they build that into the schedule and we can pick up sessions at another rink during that time. Don't get me wrong - we also love our club (different rink)- they make testing enjoyable and host amazing events.