You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: training logs  (Read 1643 times)

Offline xtwinkletoesk8r

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
training logs
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »
hey guys! this is my first post on this website :) i was just wondering if anybody here keeps a training log? such as making a spreadsheet with all your jumps on it and keep track of what you land or don't land each day? i haven't done that before and i would like to..any tips on a format or any tips you may have? i'd like to keep track of my progress :) thank you guys! xo

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: training logs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
Very interesting. Depends on how detailed you wish to be, like knowing exactly out of all flips attempted, how many were landed perfectly, how many had wonky landings, how many popped, how many fell, and how many aborted? etc. etc. If this is the case, maybe consider having several different headers, each type of jump takes one row, and record number of jumps for each header. (I won't remember all this, lol)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »
I know this is not exactly what you're looking for but a number of us post to the practice thread. I find myself going back over the last several months to check my progress.
You could always put your data in Excel, and then put your practice thread notes in as comments.
Data alone is so dull.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
I don't normally, but when I switched blades and really had to make it a point to practice the most basic stuff to get comfortable again, I made a list of every skating element I could think of in a 3-column word document and printed out 15 of them.  Then, I would check them off as I did them, and if I wanted to, make comments.

This ensured I practiced not only the "fun stuff" but EVERY 3-turn, EVERY mohawk, etc.  I didn't do everything each time, but I at least had a record of what I was trying, and if it was getting better.

Since I started skating I've kept a journal (link in signature) and I kind of recap every practice, so I can go back and get a sense of "OMG I've been trying to do a sit spin for 3 years!" but also "hey- I used to really struggle with X and now that's easy"

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 02:15:45 PM »
I kept a journal (written) for the first couple of years, but now have gotten quite lazy.  I usually wrote down my progress on each jump, spin, and move.  I also wrote down the notes of what my coach said to do to improve them or important things to remember.  It really helped.  I should go back to that.

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
I have one, but some days are better than others.  If i am really struggling with one of the listed items badly, i bail and come back another day.  Some days we have less ice time as well, but it is a good thing to keep up with, but i think skating can have its good days and bad days, so i don't keep it as a consistent formula, but more as a list so i dont' forget to work on something. 

For example, the past week i've had majory muscle spasms in my neck, so i know my flying camel is going to frustrate; i simply work on it a little and move on...