You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Seeing favorite skaters at a local comp...  (Read 2169 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Seeing favorite skaters at a local comp...
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
Dd and I are going to see some senior skaters this month at a local comp and it will be our first time doing this... she wants to make a poster to root on her favorite skater and is asking if it's okay to throw fowers of a stuffed animal on the ice for them.  Is that appropriate?  Can she ask for an autograph as well?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Seeing favorite skaters at a local comp...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
the throwing of things on the ice is prohibited by some competitions, allowed by others. The problem is that if they don't have "little girls and boys" to come out and get things off the ice, it delays the competition, plus, the risk of leaves, petals, bits of stuffed animals leaving debris on the ice.  You'll have to check. 

Some skaters will welcome autograph opportunities; some really don't want to be bothered when they're "in the zone".  The coaches will not let you near them if it is the latter.  I have seen some very very very annoying little girls (and their mothers :) ) who get very shirty when they are not allowed to get an autograph ... or ask for 45 ones for themselves and all their little friends and are denied.  Don't  go expecting it, be polite, and if the opportunity arises, be prepared with a pen and paper; don't assume you can take pictures without asking. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
Thank you!  We'll check the rules first. So do you think the poster is okay?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »
Are they a "known" senior skater?  If so, I would think a poster is okay.  Most skaters really appreciate their fans.  Just be polite with the poster, and don't block the views of people around you.

But if they are a local skater who is still "unknown", more of a hometown hero, it might make them a little uncomfortable.  I would still say (if their body language suggests it is an okay time, as the other poster mentioned) that even an unknown skater would be happy to sign autographs (maybe even more excited than someone who has to do it all the time.)

(On a random note, my husband and his buddies brought a "D" and a fence cuttout sign to a synchro competition once.  Everytime we skated near that side of the ice they held them up and cheered.  After the competition he played dumb and said "What do you mean there is no defense in synchro? That sign works for every other team sport!"  I thought it was hysterical, and loved knowing I had a cheering section. Not the same thing as a senior skater, but I think everyone likes to feel their skating is appreciated! I'd leave the signs to entering and exiting the ice though.)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
Some are US Olympic medalists.  Others are local girls who are skating with them (who she adores just as much).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Then I would say, as long as the competition allows them, signs/stuffies are appropriate. If she has them for the "known" skaters, it will be less ackward to also have them for the unknown skaters, so she could do them for them too.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »
Approach skaters for autographs AFTER they've finished their events, never before.

Some rinks don't take down the glass or puck-stopper nets, so tossing things on the ice is impossible or you have to be in a certain area to make the shot.  Not every competition has sweepers to pick them up, so don't toss them if there's no one doing cleanup duty, lol.  You can bring them and give them out later if no one else is tossing anything.

Putting up a poster would be fine.  Just be sure you don't block someone's view with it.

Love the "D for Defense" story.

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »
the throwing of things on the ice is prohibited by some competitions, allowed by others. The problem is that if they don't have "little girls and boys" to come out and get things off the ice, it delays the competition, plus, the risk of leaves, petals, bits of stuffed animals leaving debris on the ice.  You'll have to check. 

Actually I find this quite interesting.

At our competitions, there's always one girl who sits near the gate, with a giant garbage bag full of plushy toys. For EVERY ACT skater, she throws a toy for them. But the key is that she throws it while the skater is taking their bows, and far enough that the skater can easily see it and pick it up themselves. Flowers are not allowed to be thrown but there's certainly no rule against plushy toys. Something to think about, maybe?
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
The small competition I did this summer some people got tossies- they would just pick them up after they finished bowing, if they missed the announcer would tell them to go get it.  You had to toss it over the glass, but the nets were not down.  Flowers were all fake, as I think is generally the case for big competitions now too (or else petals are wrapped in saran wrap to keep them from coming apart.)