You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade sizing - fsf  (Read 6691 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Blade sizing - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
luckeylasvegas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Blade sizing ???
Posted: 01-16-2007, 12:55 PM

My DD has grown out of her sz 4.5 Sp teri's that had a 9" MK Professional Blade. I bought her new sz 5.5 Sp Teri Ultra Lites. My question is can I use her 9" blade on the Sz 5.5 skates , or should I get new 9.25 " blades.
What is the safe size span for blades? 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 01-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Measure the sole of the new boot.
The "perfect" blade length is 1/4" shorter than the boot length.
(Align the blade flush with the toe, leaving the "shortage" at the heel.)

You CAN get away with another 1/4" longer or shorter, but you need a really good skate fitter to mount the blades so the rocker is positioned in the right spot. (Ball of the foot) 

luckeylasvegas

Posted: 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isk8NYC 
Measure the sole of the new boot.
The "perfect" blade length is 1/4" shorter than the boot length.
(Align the blade flush with the toe, leaving the "shortage" at the heel.)

You CAN get away with another 1/4" longer or shorter, but you need a really good skate fitter to mount the blades so the rocker is positioned in the right spot. (Ball of the foot)

So if the boots are 9 1/4" - 9 3/8 " long, then the sz 9" blades should be the perfect fit , and not the 9 1/4" blades? 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 01-16-2007, 11:09 PM

AFAIK, the 9" blades should be fine on the 9-1/4" long boot.

You are going to have the blades mounted by a pro, right? Check with him/her first, to be sure. 

AW1

Posted: 01-17-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
AFAIK, the 9" blades should be fine on the 9-1/4" long boot.

You are going to have the blades mounted by a pro, right? Check with him/her first, to be sure.

I just looked at this recently and was told the "industry standard" is to have the blade the same length of your boot, or UP TO 1/4 " shorter. I don't think that 1/8 " is going to cause any real issues if it's that much too short. 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW1 
I just looked at this recently and was told the "industry standard" is to have the blade the same length of your boot, or UP TO 1/4 " shorter. I don't think that 1/8 " is going to cause any real issues if it's that much too short.

Klingbeil, Jackson, and Riedell all recommend the 1/4" shorter standard. Just curious: do other mfg's recommend the same-length blades?

AH HA! I knew I had read a "Ask Mr. Edge" article on this at some point in the past.
From Skating magazine's Aug/Sep 2001 issue: ARTICLE 

AW1

Posted: 01-18-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Klingbeil, Jackson, and Riedell all recommend the 1/4" shorter standard. Just curious: do other mfg's recommend the same-length blades?

AH HA! I knew I had read a "Ask Mr. Edge" article on this at some point in the past.
From Skating magazine's Aug/Sep 2001 issue: ARTICLE

I am not sure what the boot manufacturers say, but definitely on the blade box, for example the pair my brother got says 11 3/4" FOR 12" BOOT I'm assuming they are saying you can have a blade the same length as the boot if you want to try and be able to use them on their next pair of boots when they outgrow them IYKWIM? 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 01-18-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW1 
I am not sure what the boot manufacturers say, but definitely on the blade box, for example the pair my brother got says 11 3/4" FOR 12" BOOT I'm assuming they are saying you can have a blade the same length as the boot if you want to try and be able to use them on their next pair of boots when they outgrow them IYKWIM?

Yeah, I do know what you mean, since it's also what I posted. In your original post, you said same-length was "the standard." Did you mean that many skating parents buy same-length blades to save money? That's not a standard, that's just a good idea! LOL New boots and blades are so expensive, it's a great way to save money if you can move the blades at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Blades 
The length of the blade should be heel to toe with a minimum length of 1/4" less than heel to toe of the boot.

LINK

I looked at the actual mounting instructions that came with my JW Gold Seals and they also say that the "ideal" blade length is 1/4" shorter than the boot length, but you can vary it up to a 1/8 inch longer/shorter. I actually had too-long blades on my competition skates. The blade plate stuck out in the front, past the sole. 

luckeylasvegas

Posted: 01-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Well, I bought her blades for her last boots as long as I could w/ the idea that we culd use them on her next boots, but her coach said to get the
9 1/4" blades for them. Her new boots had blades mounted on them from the previous owner ( boots didn't fit her so she sold them, they look brand new!)so I think he's trying to match the previous mounting. I guess I shouldn't complain since I got such a great deal on the boots , but every penny counts . 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeylasvegas 
I think he's trying to match the previous mounting.

Don't let him reuse the holes. It would be better to plug them all and start with a proper mounting from the beginning. You don't know if the previous owner had the same blades/size, or if the blades had been adjusted. (I used to always have to get the blade moved to the inside, even with new mounts.)

When I went from Patt 99's to Gold Seals a few years ago, the person who mounted them reused the holes. The left blade of the brand-new gold seals twisted. For months, I had a different edge on the front of the skate than on the back.

After three adjustments, I ended going to the best pro shop guy I know and he just plugged with epoxy and started over from scratch. It was like night and day. 

AW1

Posted: 01-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I do know what you mean, since it's also what I posted. In your original post, you said same-length was "the standard." Did you mean that many skating parents buy same-length blades to save money? That's not a standard, that's just a good idea! LOL New boots and blades are so expensive, it's a great way to save money if you can move the blades at least.

I looked at the actual mounting instructions that came with my JW Gold Seals and they also say that the "ideal" blade length is 1/4" shorter than the boot length, but you can vary it up to a 1/8 inch longer/shorter. I actually had too-long blades on my competition skates. The blade plate stuck out in the front, past the sole.

I haven't been able to find that darn website where I read that on, but it did say same as boot length or up to 1/4 inch was "industry standard"... Also on the John Watts site, it says "Just measure your blade from toe to heel in either inches or centimetres and if necessary round down for the corresponding size." However, I think where they say blade, I think they mean boot, since the FAQ is "what size blade should I order?"

I will keep hunting for the website where it says that about the industry standard

So far I've only been able to find the following

Quote:
Some parents occasionally choose to purchase blades one size larger than nominal (1/4 or 1/3 inch) when they have a growing child who will soon be moving up to larger boots. This is an acceptable practice so long as the heel plates do not substantially overhang the ends of the heels of the skater's current boots (no more than about 1/16 inch). 

from this source

and USA Skates.com says
Quote:
Recommended blade length should not be any shorter than 1/4" of overall sole length of boot. 

I have searched and searched and cannot find where I saw that. Honestly I didn't pluck it out of thin air!