You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice training reports  (Read 114413 times)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Off-ice training reports
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
Anyone focusing on off ice this summer? Just realized that I keep looking up stretches and exercises but am not really doing them! Or, if I am, only in bits and pieces

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2014, 12:48:32 AM »
I have too, since I effectively have no ice, plus will be on vacay most of the summer.

I need someone to help keep me honest with my workouts- it's too easy to de-prioritize.  You want to do something together?  Maybe get a group going?

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2014, 07:03:39 AM »
Anyone focusing on off ice this summer? Just realized that I keep looking up stretches and exercises but am not really doing them! Or, if I am, only in bits and pieces

Me too!!!!
I really need to be more accountable. My plan was to stretch for at least 30 minutes a day, but I seem to be "forgetting"  with a special focus on my hips, hamstrings and back.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »
I'm suppose to be stretching and running. Stretching at the rink is happening, but not so much the actually focusing on stretching. And trying to run when it's so bloody hot outside is simply annoying (100*F or higher each day). I just got a running app to try and keep myself honest!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2014, 02:28:11 PM »

I have too, since I effectively have no ice, plus will be on vacay most of the summer.

I need someone to help keep me honest with my workouts- it's too easy to de-prioritize.  You want to do something together?  Maybe get a group going?

Yes! A group sounds good!!

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
-Trainer says that he wants the "I hate you" look from his students.  :o It means he's doing his job.  88)

-Splits are slowly getting into the correct position. I still have a smidge more to go until it looks proper.

-I can finally get out of the pool without looking like a wet dog.  ;)

-trainer made me do planks after I was already tired...  :'( I still held it for 1 minute each time, though.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »
Doing off ice training on my own rather than signing up for a class right now… I need to improve strength, stamina, and most of all flexibility.  I have none.  Tried a 7 minute workout app for a while in the spring, which was good but I fell out of the habit.  I've decided to just focus on stretches for now.  I don't need to do anything fancy… pretty much anything I can do will improve things at this point.  So now I'm following this set of stretches:  http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/sportsci/stretch.htm  I like it because it's a manageable number of stretches, and the diagrams explain what to do, where you should feel the stretch, and why it's important.  I do it while listening to a playlist of quiet instrumental stuff and it takes about 30 min to do.  We'll see how long I stick with it.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2014, 01:41:15 AM »
Pistol squats.  I want to do a proper sit spin, so that was a must. Trainer asks me, "How low can you go?" Hey, we're not doing the limbo here...  :P

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
This is a great thread!  I need to step up the off ice training.  I stretch A LOT and am always tight.  Have always been that way but truly if I did it every day I would make progress.

Short Term Goals:
- Deeper squats for shoot the duck, including getting back up to standing and for the record I was never able to do that, even when I was young, (and sit spin someday when I learn to spin on 1-leg)!  Just not my focus right now.
- Increase hip range of motion + quadratus lumborum (QL) flexibility for, well everything on ice, but specifically more secondary push off with both forward and back crossovers.
- Increased arm strength and tone for better arm positions and endurance (and control on ice)

Anyone have any idea how to choose the sk8strong (??) videos?  Anyone use them currently?  I'm thinking about it.

Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
I think I'll buy the sk8strong videos tonight! Hehe

I haven't been doing much off ice, aside from stretching most of the time after skating.. Ugh today I ask fiancé to help me with some exercises and let me just say doing 10 sit-ups and attempting to do the easier variation of push-ups was a struggle.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2014, 11:19:03 PM »
Start with a few @littlerain and work your way up!  Anything you do (correctly) is better than nothing.

I got the Adult and Dynamic stretching MP4's from sk8strong and did the first 20 minutes of the Dynamic stretching before skating tonight and I swear I got a "little" more push with my waltz jumps!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »

Start with a few @littlerain and work your way up!  Anything you do (correctly) is better than nothing.

I got the Adult and Dynamic stretching MP4's from sk8strong and did the first 20 minutes of the Dynamic stretching before skating tonight and I swear I got a "little" more push with my waltz jumps!

Thanks! I need the push to continue haha. He has always been pretty athletic and I've dragged him into an inactive lifestyle with a lot of food Lolol. So he is happy to encourage any thoughts of activity I have!

A little more push with waltz jumps sounds like what I need! Those were the two I'm thinking about getting too.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2014, 12:12:16 AM »
Do it!  There's a discount on 2.  Make sure you see that.  I ordered the sliding discs too.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2014, 02:56:48 AM »
I saw it, thanks. I only hesitate bc I am afraid I won't do any of it anyways, lol! #lazy

I bought sliding disc things a while ago but never remember to use them. Not sure if it's the same as what they offer? Curious to hear your thoughts when you get them!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »
I'll let you know.

If you see improvement in your skating, that will motivate you!  Although I don't know what level you're at with skating....

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »

I'll let you know.

If you see improvement in your skating, that will motivate you!  Although I don't know what level you're at with skating....

I know it will! I think I am just a bit behind you, level wise :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
3 sets/12 reps of pushup rows with two 15 pound weights.  :sweat Then a bunch of other things I forgot about. lol I'm improving on my splits flexibility.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2014, 03:05:02 AM »
-Sumo squats with 65 pound weight, 3 sets, 15 reps.
-curtsy squat set for the same amount.  ??? Those were really awkward.
-2 other arm exercises that escaped my memory. XD
-pistol squats... getting lower...  :o

I finally got into a full split without the quads getting in the way. I need to work on getting comfortable in that position.

My trainer is applying for his dream job. I will miss him.  :'( Our relationship is like the one I have with my coach. I will definitely give him a letter of recommendation. lol

Offline Loops

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2014, 05:14:06 AM »
I'll join in here too.  I've been continuing with the Sk8strong adult 3 days a week, then one training day a week at the rink, with a trainer.  Will admit that the summer, between having the kids and being on vacay, I was NOT successful in keeping to any sort of exercise routine.  Except that which comes with chasing children around.

Skating started this past week.  Trainer had us do 5 laps around the rink (spaced out in relay style), then lots of good stretching and ab work.  Holy moly, the running felt good at the time, but the rink is built into a rather steep hill, which he has us run UP, then down the gentle slope.  Probably better but my shins still on fire three days later.  Worst my splints have ever been.  So no running for me for the time being.  Besides ice/rest any one have any tips on dealing with those?  I can't exactly stop walking.....

I also got a spinner, so I'm working on control and balance with that, for threes, inside and outside spins and the dreaded twizzle.

Need to re-start on the pistol squats.  Was middling on them before but nonetheless noticed a difference with my sit spin.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
I'll join in here too.  I've been continuing with the Sk8strong adult 3 days a week, then one training day a week at the rink, with a trainer.  Will admit that the summer, between having the kids and being on vacay, I was NOT successful in keeping to any sort of exercise routine.  Except that which comes with chasing children around.

Skating started this past week.  Trainer had us do 5 laps around the rink (spaced out in relay style), then lots of good stretching and ab work.  Holy moly, the running felt good at the time, but the rink is built into a rather steep hill, which he has us run UP, then down the gentle slope.  Probably better but my shins still on fire three days later.  Worst my splints have ever been.  So no running for me for the time being.  Besides ice/rest any one have any tips on dealing with those?  I can't exactly stop walking.....

I also got a spinner, so I'm working on control and balance with that, for threes, inside and outside spins and the dreaded twizzle.

Need to re-start on the pistol squats.  Was middling on them before but nonetheless noticed a difference with my sit spin.

Lol oh dear. They sure are slave drivers. (edit: do not use autocorrect. *facepalm*)

Do you have any tips on how to get lower on the pistol squats?

Offline Loops

« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2014, 02:59:29 PM »
Not really.  I think it's just practice and pushing yourself a little lower each time.

Fwiw here's my tactic: I do them with something under me for support.  The goal is to go down to that level, with hands and free leg out in front, but not actually put weight on the support, then raise up.  The whole idea is to keep me from smacking my bum into the floor if I fall.  I started with a chair, that I mastered pretty easily, then I tried the kid's table, which was too high, and the matching chairs which were too low, so I moved to a bench which we have built into our bathroom, which is lower than an adult chair.  I do the same thing in there, but haven't been able to move beyond it yet (kids chairs are next step).  At a guess I'd say it's about 1.5ish feet high, or roughly what I remember a gym bench (for presses) being.  When I was being good about it I was aiming for 10 on each leg a day either while I waited for the shower to heat up, or whenever I could.  Hopefully once the proverbial seal is broken and I start doing them again, I'll go back to doing them daily.  For the moment, I'm just too sore.  Darn trainer.  But I love him.

Unsurprisingly I can get lower/do more reps on my spinning leg than on my backspin leg. 

Wall chairs are also goooooood for this.  Our trainer has us do lots of those.  I'm expecting them next week, if he holds true to form.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
Not really.  I think it's just practice and pushing yourself a little lower each time.

Fwiw here's my tactic: I do them with something under me for support.  The goal is to go down to that level, with hands and free leg out in front, but not actually put weight on the support, then raise up.  The whole idea is to keep me from smacking my bum into the floor if I fall.  I started with a chair, that I mastered pretty easily, then I tried the kid's table, which was too high, and the matching chairs which were too low, so I moved to a bench which we have built into our bathroom, which is lower than an adult chair.  I do the same thing in there, but haven't been able to move beyond it yet (kids chairs are next step).  At a guess I'd say it's about 1.5ish feet high, or roughly what I remember a gym bench (for presses) being.  When I was being good about it I was aiming for 10 on each leg a day either while I waited for the shower to heat up, or whenever I could.  Hopefully once the proverbial seal is broken and I start doing them again, I'll go back to doing them daily.  For the moment, I'm just too sore.  Darn trainer.  But I love him.

Unsurprisingly I can get lower/do more reps on my spinning leg than on my backspin leg. 

Wall chairs are also goooooood for this.  Our trainer has us do lots of those.  I'm expecting them next week, if he holds true to form.

Thanks for the tip!

Report: I can spin, spiral at 15 mph, do planks for more than 2 minutes, and doing hanging straight leg raises, but I can't do a single sit-up.  :nvm:

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2015, 04:04:14 AM »
Who knew that doing crossovers for 3 years would make a step up curtsy squat easy to do?  :sweat I didn't lose balance at all!

On another note: inching closer and closer to the biellmann position. I'm going to order an I-Flex. Slow and steady wins the race.

Figure skating problem: people gawking at your flexibility at the gym and you're thinking "Still not flexible enough! grrr"

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2015, 05:00:08 AM »
After a trawl of the net for VMO exercises, found a few that work more or less:

- Reverse step ups  (i.e. step up onto box backwards,  or climb a staircase backwards)
- Stand on one foot, pressing heel of free foot into VMO to provide proprioceptive feedback which helps isolate the muscle.
- Sit on ground with legs outstretched in front.  feet at 11 oclock and 1 oclock. Whilst leaving knee and calf on ground, raise heel slighly
- Sit on ground with legs outstretched in front.  Contract VMO in such a way that the patella moves slightly to the inside.

None of these are really satisfyingly "blissful agony" kind of killer exercises.   Finding it a really hard muscle to isolate.  One site I went to suggested electrical muscle stimulation to really get at it!    But not too fussed at this point though, just taking it easy for the sake of the other bits around my bad knee.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2015, 10:38:45 PM »
Did my 7 min circuit workout and 20 min of stretches tonight for the first time in quite a while.  (I was really good about it in Nov/Dec, spotty in Jan, and hardly did it at all in Feb.)  Pleased to see that at least I don't seem to have lost any flexibility.  Let's see if I can actually keep it up for a while… my goal is to earn the app's silly "one month non-stop" badge.