You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating for Dummies?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Skating for Dummies?
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:03:17 AM »
Is there such a thing?  I'd like to know what should be in a prepre routine (well balanced).  I know her coach knows, but I don't know, I just feel lost watching.  For example - dd has a forward spiral and does one edge and then the other.  Someone else might have a backward spiral - I'm guessing "value - wise" that is a more difficult element.  But how different is it?  Are there some things that they "need" vs would be good to have?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Skating for Dummies?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »
The rulebook and technical information on the USFSA website are not "for dummies" but they are accurate and understandable.  Any other source is at serious risk of being out of date.

For your more specific question, spirals are not technical elements in prepre.  They may contribute to the PCS, but that is up to the judge to decide.  More generally, spirals never have levels, so their base value is always the same, and only the Judge's opinion, in the form of grade of execution, varies.

Personally I think backwards spirals are easier if the ice is not crowded.

(not a Judge)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:48:05 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Skating-Dummies-Kristi-Yamaguchi/dp/0764550845

It's an interesting book, and I found it a somewhat useful. But it doesn't explain choreography. It doesn't even go very far into technique.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »
Thank you!  I felt dumb asking the question, but for some reason my brain isn't skating oriented.  I just see pretty...

Is it better to do a solid camel combination spin camel or a shaky flying camel-sit?

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
Is it better to do a solid camel combination spin camel or a shaky flying camel-sit?

That's a question for your DD's coach, as it might be that her level has certain spins or groups of spins, one of which she is required to do (eg: in some divisions, 3 spins are allowed; one must be a flying spin and one must be a spin in one position.)  It might also be that your DD can get a higher level in one spin than another.

That being said, I looked up the scale of values, and as far as I can tell, the base value for a level 1 camel combination is CCSp1 = 2.0; while the base value for a flying camel-sit (I assume you don't mean back sit which requires changing feet) FCoSp1 = 1.7.  If you did mean camel-back sit (FCCoSp1) , its base value is 2.0.  All 3 spins reduce GOE at the same numerical rate: -0.3, -0.6, -0.9.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:04:06 AM »

Definitely ask her coach about this one. Are you questioning it because coach has her doing a flying camel-sit and you think her regular camel combo is better? If so, is this a new spin your daughter has just learned? My daughter's coach is "sneaky" and will often put an element my daughter is working on in her program. Sometimes with the intention of possibly using it in her program and sometimes the intention is to force my daughter to practice an element she might not otherwise practice! LOL. Then, shortly before the competition. she'll switch it to an element my daughter is better at. Sometimes my daughter improves to a point that she will leave the "practice" element in her program.

My daughter's camel/sit/back sit is ok sometimes and other times looks very rushed. She struggles with back spins. Once she gets them, they are pretty but for whatever reason, they are not easy for her. At the end of her program is a camel with catch/sit/back-sit combo. To be honest, it makes me very nervous!! lol. Sometimes it just looks rushed and therefore looks sloppy. I understand why her coach is adding it in, but it makes me nervous none the less. Anyway... good luck!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:30:59 PM »
It was like you described - it was in and then it was out.  I was stressed seeing it was very much a work in progress, but her coach I think wanted her to really focus on getting it.  So there were lots of improvements but not enough to be ready so she is back to the non flying.  I know there is a plan, I'm just a worrier/stress kind of person. 

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:43:22 PM »
It was like you described - it was in and then it was out.  I was stressed seeing it was very much a work in progress, but her coach I think wanted her to really focus on getting it.  So there were lots of improvements but not enough to be ready so she is back to the non flying.  I know there is a plan, I'm just a worrier/stress kind of person. 

I am a worrier as well. :) I did notice that when my daughter was doing her program on Friday, she did not have the back-sit in her last spin combo. I don't know if dd forgot or if her coach took it out. It'll be interesting to see what IS in her program the 12th. :) Interestingly, she was working on a back camel/back catch or whatever that spin is called and it looked pretty good. Maybe that will be an easier back spin for her. :) I have asked my daughter's coach for clarification before. That is how I found out that her coach adds in practice skills and then removes the element if it is not ready by competition time.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 12:59:20 AM »
I'm glad I'm not alone!!!!!   :laugh:

I still find it all confusing, but I'm going to try to keep learning.