You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Used skates are apparently bad!  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Used skates are apparently bad!
« on: March 12, 2017, 08:56:40 PM »
So!

When I first jumped back into skating, I bought a pair of used skates so I could save up for a good quality pair (Of which I've had plenty of amazing advice on here for!) and I've been using them while saving up. But at my most recently lesson while trying Twizzle for the first time my skate literally ripped apart. The 'boot' section separated from the heel completely. I'm wondering if this is common in low quality skates or if I maybe just used them a bit TOO hard. Also, should I save the blades? The blades are still super solid.

I did go and buy a pair of basic skates at a local store to last me until I can get better ones. But they feel really 'recreational'. The boot is a bit bigger than I'm used to and while they are shaped like figure skates and have figure skate blades, they feel really weird on my feet. Is that common with a new skate? They also don't lace as high as I hoped so I feel pretty insecure around the top of the skate when practicing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Used skates are apparently bad!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »
Can you give us more info about the blades and the new skates?  (brand, model, etc.)  We can probably give you more feedback that way.  (And when I say "we," I probably mean higher level skaters than me!) 

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »
Can you give us more info about the blades and the new skates?  (brand, model, etc.)  We can probably give you more feedback that way.  (And when I say "we," I probably mean higher level skaters than me!)

They're a pair of Jackson 'Soft Skate' Figure skates, they're lined and rather cushy inside. I've no local places with good leather skates. These were the closest I could find ^_^ The blades on them are 10.3" figure skating blades but I'm not sure of the brand. It's a big box store, so likely nothing too crazy!

Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
They're a pair of Jackson 'Soft Skate' Figure skates, they're lined and rather cushy inside. I've no local places with good leather skates. These were the closest I could find ^_^ The blades on them are 10.3" figure skating blades but I'm not sure of the brand. It's a big box store, so likely nothing too crazy!

Those are standard recreational skates- good for people just getting started, but they probably won't last you long.  Start saving!  :)  They come with a low level blade that can't be swapped out.  What were your previous skates (boots and blades)?  It's possible it's worth keeping those blades to mount on new boots later, assuming they're good quality, in good shape, and the right size.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:22:52 AM »
Those are standard recreational skates- good for people just getting started, but they probably won't last you long.  Start saving!  :)  They come with a low level blade that can't be swapped out.  What were your previous skates (boots and blades)?  It's possible it's worth keeping those blades to mount on new boots later, assuming they're good quality, in good shape, and the right size.

Thats what I thought. They will last me a few sessions anyways. The balance is sttange on them though. As for the others, the boot was just a basic CCM boot, but the blades were aftermarket I believe. They say "MX" on them. They are in excellent shape.

My Blog

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
As for the others, the boot was just a basic CCM boot, but the blades were aftermarket I believe. They say "MX" on them. They are in excellent shape.

Saw pictures of your first boots on your blog - your CCMs were also very recreational skates, ones that I'd never recommend anyone to buy, especially not someone taking lessons.

Boots with proper fit and support are very important - both for safety and maximum progress.  Hope you can get something suitable soon.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Saw pictures of your first boots on your blog - your CCMs were also very recreational skates, ones that I'd never recommend anyone to buy, especially not someone taking lessons.

Boots with proper fit and support are very important - both for safety and maximum progress.  Hope you can get something suitable soon.

The fact that people read my blog makes me quote happy <3

Duly noted though! Ive spoken with the nearest fitter and opted to buy a good higher end skate actually. Im also having them custom fitted with boot and blade. I believe the final price was about 450$ CAD.

I can understand the need for fit and support. Is there anything you can recommend for being more secure around the ankle with these current ones?

My Blog