You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea screw substitutes  (Read 7415 times)

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
Re: Edea screw substitutes
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2022, 10:38:14 AM »
I think you got Bill's post mixed up with mine.  My post linked to 3M 847.  It is not a silicone-based glue.  It is an industrial rubber cement.

It's also not a compound to be used as a filler under the mounting plates as Bill does with silicone. 

Yikes, thanks so much for pointing that out! I still would like to try it for screws, though.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
I start by applying SnoSeal with a heat gun until the leather has saturated.  The leather usually gets considerably darker, but to me it looks nice (not so dry and thirsty).  The heated sole will soak up the SnoSeal for quite awhile--I treat one sole, then the other, and go back and forth until I feel like they are done (probably at least 10 times, sometimes more). The last coat of SnoSeal should be applied so it does not all soak in but leaves a little film on the surface.  This can be polished with a soft cloth to act as a finish coat.  Then I spread a layer of SnoSeal on the soles where the sole plates are going to sit, but leaving a 5mm-ish circle around the screw holes so I can insert the screws without coating them with SnoSeal.  I line the blades up and tighten the screws.  SnoSeal will be squished out around the edges and at the center of the blade (unless they have solid sole plates), as well as out of the other screw holes.  This is a good sign that there is a nice layer of SnoSeal between the sole plate and the sole.  I wipe off the excess but I leave a little in each of the empty screw holes to keep water out.

Have you installed permanent plugs on the soles and heels of boots that have been heavily treated with SnoSeal?  With leather soles and heels, when I need to permanently plug an old screw hole, I drill out the hole and use steel-filled epoxy to attach a plug cut from wood dowel rod.  I can re-drill in or near the plug and re-install a screw if needed.  Works reliably even if I re-plug the hole multiple times.  I don't know how deep the SnoSeal penetrates when multiple coats are applied with heat.  But I've avoided it because I've been concerned that the wax would interfere with the adhesion of the epoxy.  Do you have any experience here?

Offline supersharp

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2022, 06:51:37 PM »
I plug holes with a combination of Kwik-Wood epoxy putty and wood dowels in leather soles. Works great. I have never had a problem in boots where SnoSeal has been applied.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2022, 08:07:41 AM »
Thanks.  That's good to know.

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2022, 03:26:09 PM »
cela fait un moment que je cherchais le produit pour boucher les anciens trous.
Biensur je ne trouve pas votre produit, et je pense que celui là s'approche de votre produit.:https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/peinture-droguerie/restauration-et-relooking-de-meuble/reparation-du-bois/mastic-bois/mastic-epoxy-sinto-bois-clair-350-g-69192746.html
Vous pourriez me confirmer?
Merci pour vos précieux conseil... ou vboire petit secret?
I have been looking for the product to plug the old holes for a while.
Of course I can't find your product, and I think that the attached one is close to your product.
Could you confirm for me?
Thank you for your precious advice... or vdboire little secret?
Could you confirm for me?
Thank you for your precious advice... or your little secrets?

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2022, 03:37:07 PM »
Just so that you know, I was unable to view the web page. It was blocked for me because of location.
Bill Schneider

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2022, 10:19:20 PM »
excuse me:
https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/peinture-droguerie/restauration-et-relooking-de-meuble/reparation-du-bois/mastic-bois/mastic-epoxy-sinto-bois-clair-350-g-69192746.html

Wrong stuff.  Further details from the manufacturer's website:  https://www.sinto.fr/produit/bois/reparer-bois/repare-vite-les-bois-casses/

"Multi-usages

La pâte à réparer est idéale pour le bois cassé, fendu ou fortement abîmé et renforce les parties abîmées (fenêtres, escaliers, poutres, terrasses…). Il s’adapte à tous type de bois sapin, chêne, teck…et toutes finitions (vernis, peinture, lasure). Enfin, le Répare vite bois cassés se ponce, se perce et se peint.

Simple d’utilisation

Le Répare vite se travaille en 3 à 4 min avec une prise rapide. Simple à poser, le Repare vite bois cassés s’utilise comme de la pâte à modeler et devient inaltérable."

Fed into Google Translate, we get:

"Multi-purpose

The repair paste is ideal for broken, split or heavily damaged wood and reinforces damaged parts (windows, stairs, beams, terraces, etc.). It adapts to all types of fir wood, oak, teak… and all finishes (varnish, paint, stain). Finally, the Quickly repair broken wood can be sanded, drilled and painted.

Easy to use

Quick Repair works in 3 to 4 minutes with a quick setting. Simple to apply, the Repair quickly broken wood is used like modeling clay and becomes unalterable."

So, this is a wood epoxy putty, not a silicone glue.

Offline supersharp

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2022, 10:38:46 PM »
I think Marc was looking for something to plug holes in the soles with, so the epoxy product would be a good choice for that use. 

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2022, 03:14:06 AM »
tstop4me
oui, supersharp a raison. pour coller les vis pour qu'il ne devissent pas je viens de recevoir le 3m 847 que je vais essayer de ce pas.
Mais le produit epoxy c'était pour reboucher les trous des anciennes vis. Je  cherche quelque chose qui se rapproche du mastic époxy Kwik-Wood de supersharp.
J'ai déjà essayer de la colle à bois + un morceau de bois (accacia) mais je pense pas que cela soit le mieux. Je sais qu'il y en a qui font avec des petits morceaux de cuir + colle gorilla.
C'est pour cela qu'il me faudrait trouver l'équivalent du mastic époxy Kwik-Wood pour la prochaine fois.
Je ne vous remercierai jamais assez car vous êtes mes seuls copains avec qui je peux échanger sur tout çà, et je me sens tout seul dans mon sud ouest de la France.

stop4me
yes, supersharp is right. to glue the screws so that they do not unscrew I have just received the 3m 847 which I am going to try now.
But the epoxy product was to fill in the holes of the old screws. I'm looking for something close to supersharp's Kwik-Wood Epoxy Putty.
I've already tried wood glue + a piece of wood (accacia) but I don't think that's the best. I know there are some that make with small pieces of leather + gorilla glue.
That's why I would have to find the equivalent of Kwik-Wood epoxy putty for next time.
I will never thank you enough because you are my only friends with whom I can talk about all this, and I feel all alone in my south west of France.

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2022, 04:41:20 AM »
tstop4me
oui, supersharp a raison. pour coller les vis pour qu'il ne devissent pas je viens de recevoir le 3m 847 que je vais essayer de ce pas.
Mais le produit epoxy c'était pour reboucher les trous des anciennes vis. Je  cherche quelque chose qui se rapproche du mastic époxy Kwik-Wood de supersharp.
J'ai déjà essayer de la colle à bois + un morceau de bois (accacia) mais je pense pas que cela soit le mieux. Je sais qu'il y en a qui font avec des petits morceaux de cuir + colle gorilla.
C'est pour cela qu'il me faudrait trouver l'équivalent du mastic époxy Kwik-Wood pour la prochaine fois.
Je ne vous remercierai jamais assez car vous êtes mes seuls copains avec qui je peux échanger sur tout çà, et je me sens tout seul dans mon sud ouest de la France.

stop4me
yes, supersharp is right. to glue the screws so that they do not unscrew I have just received the 3m 847 which I am going to try now.
But the epoxy product was to fill in the holes of the old screws. I'm looking for something close to supersharp's Kwik-Wood Epoxy Putty.
I've already tried wood glue + a piece of wood (accacia) but I don't think that's the best. I know there are some that make with small pieces of leather + gorilla glue.
That's why I would have to find the equivalent of Kwik-Wood epoxy putty for next time.
I will never thank you enough because you are my only friends with whom I can talk about all this, and I feel all alone in my south west of France.
Oh, sorry.  I thought you were still looking for silicone glue. 

Offline supersharp

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »

Many of us feel exactly the same, Marc. I feel so fortunate to have found this group of technically-minded people with this shared interest after years of working alone.  I love knowing that at least in a few places scattered around the globe, there are other sharpeners facing the same obstacles and seeking to find actual solutions instead of just calling mediocre work “good enough”.

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »
Today I tried first time to put Permatex gasket cement to loosened screws. Lets see how it works.

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2022, 05:17:13 PM »
de mon côté, j'ai mis le 3m 847 samedi.
Et dimanche ma fille a patiné et çà l'air de bien fonctionner! pas de vis déssersées.
a suivre...
Par contre, c'est un peu long à faire

on my side, I put the 3m 847 on Saturday.
And on Sunday my daughter skated and it seems to work well! no loose screws.
to be continued...
On the other hand, it is a bit long to do

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2022, 07:18:47 AM »
2 ème essais ce matin, et après donc 2x 1h de patinage, les vis tiennent super bien avec 3 m 847.
Tstop4me, merci  encore beaucoup pour ce précieux conseils!

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2022, 01:14:36 PM »
Happy daughter, happy dad.  You're very welcome.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2023, 11:21:32 AM »
In my web journey this morning, I noticed that Edea now has a page of items for skate techs:

https://edeaskates.com/en/ice/accessories/tech/

The "Carbon Fiber Plugs" are interesting.  I thought they were "fix its" for new blades on old skates, but apparently, they're to fill unused holes.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline tstop4me

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2023, 09:06:20 PM »
The "Carbon Fiber Plugs" are interesting.  I thought they were "fix its" for new blades on old skates, but apparently, they're to fill unused holes.

<<Emphasis added>> Not sure what you mean by this.  The hi-tech equivalent of toothpicks that you stick into a screw hole that's been stripped?

Offline NiceIce

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2023, 12:34:52 PM »
In my web journey this morning, I noticed that Edea now has a page of items for skate techs:

https://edeaskates.com/en/ice/accessories/tech/

Hi,

They are used for putting different blades on previously mounted Edea's.  They are used to fill the existing holes that don't line up with the holes of the new blades.  Some holes will match and you can re-use them.

A note on Edea screws, note they do sell machine t-nuts and screws for mounting when using roller frames on their boots.  Such screws and nuts may be useful when having trouble with a mounting.

I have also found not a lot of support for blade mounting on Edea's as their soles are very rounded at the edges leaving large gaps.

I've tried skating in them too and wonder what kind of feet they are supposed to fit.  I had immediate drastic pronation on one foot that I never had on any of the other boot brands that I have used (and I've tried a lot!)

:-)