You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Am I Going Back Too Soon?  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Horseandpony

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
Am I Going Back Too Soon?
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:57:03 AM »
Hi! I hope everyone's skating is going well. :)

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

I strained a ligament in my right ankle falling on a sit spin, so I was off the ice for a little while. Ive been skating around 3 times a week now for about 30–45 minutes each time before getting off and icing it.

I've been to the doctor and have been seeing a physiotherapist that actually works in the rink (haha don't worry, I'm not looking for medical advice!). My physiotherapist has told me that it's okay for me to go back and skate for up to 45 minutes at a time before icing it. I've been doing heel raises on one foot and I've been moving it around a lot. I've been exercising my ankle regularly.

Skating doesn't really make my ankle worse, but it can be a bit stiff and cramps for the first fifteen minutes, then afterwards there's some slight pain which is there all the time.

I have my first lesson in 6 weeks scheduled for Tuesday and I'm starting to stress a little bit. The ankle still hurts a little bit even when I'm not skating, and I'm worried that having a lesson and continuing to skate will make it worse.

My physiotherapist had given me the go ahead to start lessons again as long as I don't jump and am very careful.

Even though she has said it's okay, I'm a little worried. It's the ligament at the front of my ankle and I really don't want to make it worse. On the other hand, I've been skating a little and have turned out fine. I can do one legged heel raises :).

Does it sound like I'm rushing it a bit? It's killing me to be away and I really want to go back, but the ankle hurts a little so I'm just worried.

Any experiences or tips would help. I know you guys aren't doctors though, but I'm sure that some of you have some experience from these types of situations.

Thank you!

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Am I Going Back Too Soon?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »
I'd say just follow the advice of your physio and let them know about any discomfort. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:25:52 AM »
I'd make sure your coach is fully aware of the limitations the physio is imposing upon your return as well. They don't want you getting hurt anymore than you do.

Offline Horseandpony

• Under the Edge
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
Cool, thanks! I do trust the advice of my physio but I guess I was feeling a little worried last night because some friends expressed some doubt over whether I was really ready to go back yet. I guess I can always cut the lesson short if I feel really bad. Thanks guys! :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
Just take it easy on the lesson.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
You know, I'm going to go against the tide here. If you're worried, it's ok to hold back, too. You are more in tune with your body than your pt, and in this case you'd be taking the more conservative route. That little voice in your head telling you it's too soon might have good reason......

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »
I'm with Loops, even if the physio says it's ok, I would probably hold back a bit if you're still having pain. There's no harm in giving it another week or two if it doesn't feel just right. You don't want to be anxious about it on the ice, or holding back in your lesson.

Offline Horseandpony

• Under the Edge
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »
Oh no, now I don't know!

The pain is kind if minor and I've been climbing up and down ladders and standing a lot at work, which makes it feel achy for a while.

The physio says 3–8 weeks until it's fully healed.

:/ aww...

I think I'll just go but take it quite easy. If it doesn't go well I can cut the lesson short or take more time off. :'(

Oh well, more money for shopping and junk food. By the time I heal properly I'll be swimming in stuff I don't need and will have gained 5 kilos from gorging myself on junk food. :D

Ahh, I miss skating so much. How do people deal with being away?

On an unrelated note, is it over the top for a beginner (working on salchow and sit spin) to wear a practise skirt and tights? Haha I know it's unnecessary but wow, so pretty!

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:58 AM »
Ahh, I miss skating so much. How do people deal with being away?

I haven't had to yet, but my plan for if I do get injured (in a lower extremity) is to spend more time playing my violin and piano.   The same "striving towards impossibly lofty goals" and "musical expression" aspects are there,  even if the exercise (and adrenaline) aspects aren't.   

Offline Loops

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »

On an unrelated note, is it over the top for a beginner (working on salchow and sit spin) to wear a practise skirt and tights? Haha I know it's unnecessary but wow, so pretty!

Absolutely not over the top.  You wear whatever makes you feel happy/comfortable.

It is always OK to be appropriately dressed.  Skirt and tights fits the bill.  Spend your extra money on that. =)

And I wasn't meaning to discourage you from starting up again, but to remind you that it's OK to not push yourself too much and that it's OK to stay off the ice a little longer (I know the pain of that though!).  It's deffo not worth aggravating the injury, and while your PT's advice should play a very very large role in your decision, you should also empower yourself to listen to your body and your ankle.  I would pass the time with skating related books and off-ice training (that didn't aggravate the injury).  Yoga.  Lots of Yoga and stretching, too.  This is my plan for the summer.  How I'm going to pull it off with my two little kids is beyond me......

Offline Horseandpony

• Under the Edge
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
@Riley: Oh my goodness, I play the violin and the piano too! :D Haha those are two of the hobbies I kind of pushed aside for skating. The others are horse riding (can't because of injuries), drawing, writing, reading, and book reviewing. Too many hobbies!

@Loops: Thanks for your opinion! I try not to be really self conscious (lets face it, nobody cares what I wear!) but it creeps in sometimes. Most people around here wear pants, so I'd be a bit out of place. Oh well, I guess people have their own skating to worry about. Thanks, that's great advice! My ankle is pretty much pain free when I'm not standing on it so I'll take the chance on a lesson.

The thing that I regret most about being away is that I spent most of it moping over not being able to skate, working, and doing homework. Ugh, I just realised the other day that I could have picked up all my other hobbies and done something productive and fun instead of sitting around being miserable.  :nvm:

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 08:20:33 AM »
I'm with loops and others - listen to your body as you can hear it better than your PT and you're wanting to take the more conservative approach.  Looking for the silver lining - this might be a very good opportunity to start work with your coach on different turn clusters on the leg you haven't injured.

Get better soon!

Offline Loops

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »
Most people around here wear pants, so I'd be a bit out of place.

At my rink too.  I'm the only one that wears a skirt regularly, I wear them over pants too, to ahem, de-emphasize my bum.  Rock the skirt! 

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
I would trust your PT on this.  Just make sure your coach knows you're not supposed to jump and back off if anything hurts more than usual.
You might also ask your PT about taking one ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) before skating to keep any inflammation down.  I do this even when I'm not injured and it definitely makes a difference.

Offline Horseandpony

• Under the Edge
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
Thanks for your answer, Doubletoe! Yeah, I told my coach that I couldn't do some things. Also, if someone was too much for me then I would definitely tell him. Communication is key. :)

I had the lesson today and it went well! Gee, I'm rusty. I asked my coach whether or not my skating had gotten much worse and he said "no, you're actually going pretty well" so that either means that I always look like that to him or that I wasn't as good as I thought I was. :nvm:

My ankle got sore towards the end and it was uncomfortable and not happy. I got off after the lesson, iced it, and did the exercises my physio gave me and it feels fine now.

It was totally worth listening to my physio but I'm still a while from being 100% well. :(

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »
Glad it went well! :D

Offline Loops

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
I'm happy for you too!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »
I'm glad it went well!

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 07:10:53 PM »
Good for you!  Hoping to be in your position in 6 weeks!

Offline Horseandpony

• Under the Edge
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
@cw_skater oh no, are you injured at the moment? I hope you feel better soon. Ahh, time away is so frustrating! Take care of yourself and don't come back until you're ready. :)

I think I'm going to cancel my lesson this week and take more time off because my ankle is a little worse now and I think I'm pushing it a little. It's probably better to recover fully ASAP than keep pushing it by skating in pain (delaying full recovery). I'm always anxious about my ankle when I'm on the ice at the moment, which is not fun, and if the gut feeling of "I think I might be making it worse" is no fun.

Oh well, at least I had a lesson. :/