You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What do you pack for a competition?  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
What do you pack for a competition?
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:01:57 PM »
I'm going to my first competition away from my home rink. I'll be away for 6 nights total. I'm starting to think about packing and it feels like there's so much to remember!

I was hoping to get everything into a carry on sized suitcase, with some stuff in my skate bag if need be. But I've realised I'm not sure what I should be taking, beyond the basics of skates, dresses, other clothes etc.

I'm travelling around 300 miles, by train with 2 changes en route.

So, lovely skaters, what do you pack for an out of town competition?

Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: What do you pack for a competition?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:43:08 AM »
That's a good question. I recently travelled to a competition for the first time in a while and couldn't really remember what I packed, so I'm happy to think through this. I don't pack all these things every time, but these are things I consider packing, or sometimes wish I'd packed:

For Competition Time
Skates and guards
Competition Dress (and sometimes a back-up)
Tights and extra tights
Extra laces
Warm-up jacket
Sweat pants to wear over my dress
Sneakers for off-ice warm-up
Competition music and back-up disc
Hairbrush, bobby pins, rubberbands, hairspray
Make-up

Other
Snacks
Water Bottle
Skating clothes for practice ice, including gloves
Warm jacket and/or blanket for sitting in cold rink all day watching others
Headphones to listen to music to focus before competing
Tissues
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »
I would add a Philips head screwdriver to that list. I never go to competitions without one. Also sk8tape. I even used it as support for the ladies one time when I forgot to pack the right bra!!!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:24:57 PM »
I don't compete, but:

You did say "beyond the basics", but some of these things, like the portable computer, might not be obvious if you don't think about it

Ordinary clothing - indoor, outdoor, and whatever you need to stay warm at cold rink buildings
  Skating outfit
  Makeup & sparkles if desired or required
  If you are on a Synchro team, and there is a club jacket to wear when you aren't skating, bring it too.
  Your pillow and/or special blanket and/or silly stuffed animal, if needed
  Deodorant
  Toothbrush & toothpaste
  Feminine hygiene supplies (wouldn't apply to me - I'm a guy)
  Things to tie up hair, if needed (wouldn't apply to me, because there isn't enough to tie among other reasons)
  Hair dryer (ditto)
  Medications, vitamins, sports drinks, etc., that you need
  Wallet with money, credit card
  Coins, for laundry machines, vending machines, etc.
  All the IDs you might need -
    Driver's license, or whatever passes for photo ID in UK
    Skating club membership ID.
  Don't underestimate your expenses.
  Checkbook
  Your purse or backpack, if appropriate
  A lock, in case there is a locker in which to leave things; whatever you need to unlock it (!)
  Any paperwork needed to show you have paid to compete (Note: many competitions require early pre-registration).
  Paperwork showing registration and/or prepayment for lodging
  Required documentation for music - e.g., sources, and if required, permissions.
    Check ahead with competition to find out what you need
  Your skating routine. In case you get nervous. Also, some competitions require a copy of the routine
  Laundry bag
  Laundry detergent (even if you bring enough clothes, unexpected things can happen; if you need a super-gentle
    detergent for some of your outfit, bring that too)
  First aid supplies, e.g.
    Paper first aid tape, which I use instead of band-aids or other adhesive strips
    Cloth first aid tape to reinforce ankles if needed
  Duct tape, fabric tape, needle and thread, needle threader, fabric glue, scissors, for emergency repairs of your skating outfit.
  Something to read or play with (e.g., tablet) - people wait around a lot at any competition.
  A portable computer (PC or Mac) so you can browse the whole Internet with for things that you didn't expect to need
  Cell phone for emergencies and contacts
  Chargers for cell phone, tablet, computer - I see people at the rink all the time who have forgotten chargers.
  Multiple sources of light (flashlight, cell phone app, bio-luminescent sticks, whatever)
  GPS - I "know" you can't get lost, but sometimes roads aren't marked.
  Watch and/or alarm clock, in case cell phone fails.
  Extra batteries, for everything electronic. All batteries should be fully charged.
  Contact info for rink and lodging, on paper.
  Contact info for your friends, so you can brag about your gold medal
  Doctor, coach &emergency contacts, because some competitions require them
  Pencil, pen and paper - just in case
  Map & compass, in case GPS fails, with destination rink & lodging addresses, route, pre-marked
  Music in MP3 jump drive (USB Flash Drive) form too - because some competitions don't take CDs
  Your routine exercise equipment
  Roller skates or folding scooter, to get around if needed - or extra money for a taxi
  A binder or tie-closure envelope to put papers in, along with your gold medal
  Yourself, confident, relaxed and happy. :)

I don't know what rules the UK has regarding transporting things on trains. That might change what you can bring. E.g., laundry detergent, batteries, etc. Are skates a problem?

However, you shouldn't carry so much that you get tired before the competition. Pack ahead of time, and see if you can comfortably carry everything. If it all needs to go in overhead bins, see if it is small and light enough to be practical and meet all train system rules.

Get organized ahead of time - pack separately what you need to bring to the competition building, from what can stay at your lodging

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
I always take a sewing kit; extra hot fix crystals and the application; and Band-Aids. I usually bring fruit and water in case I get hungry!

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 07:13:54 AM »
Skates are no issue - I travel to my home rink by train :)

Thanks for the replies everyone - I think I’m taking just enough judging by your lists :)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »
I don't often travel for competitions. When I do, I drive, so that  helps - I can bring more.  :angel:

For my last competition, which was over the course of two days (one night), I brought: skates, two skating dresses, three pairs of tights, three pairs of workout type pants, two pairs of skating socks, three shirts, two hoodies, my pillow, toiletries, PJ's, etc. And my skating bag with all its normal stuff (extra laces, my CD of my skating music, soakers, guards, chapstick, cloth to wipe my blades.)

And I forgot my sneakers. So I had to do my off ice warmup in my Doc Martens. Which look LOVELY with a skating dress.