You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Coronation Ace Lite profile  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
Coronation Ace Lite profile
« on: July 01, 2023, 08:39:05 AM »
I have seen now three pairs of Coronation Ace Lite blades. All of them has been sold as a lighter version of the Coronation Ace. Means they give you impression that profile is same. They are just thinner and other ways made to be lighter than traditional Coronation Ace´s. In my opinion Ace Lite profile is quite far from the traditional Coronation Ace. I have compared several Coronation Aces to my pencil tracings and they match quite well. However Lite versions does not match with Coronation Aces. https://youtu.be/xvjQMFwfb5o

Purpose is not judge which one of the profiles would be the correct or the best. All I want to highlight is that Lite is NOT the same blade as Ace, but lighter.

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
Re: Coronation Ace Lite profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 02:16:18 PM »
That is a very significant difference!   :o :o

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 08:33:33 PM »
Yea. Not even close.

I generally stay away from those variants because the names are reused to leverage brand popularity, but the blades often differ in various ways. Even the new Phoenix blades are quite different from the originals.

If I wanted a light Ace, I'd buy one from Paramount instead. The CA blades are fairly cheap from them.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 02:19:53 PM »
I have seen now three pairs of Coronation Ace Lite blades. All of them has been sold as a lighter version of the Coronation Ace. Means they give you impression that profile is same. They are just thinner and other ways made to be lighter than traditional Coronation Ace´s. In my opinion Ace Lite profile is quite far from the traditional Coronation Ace. I have compared several Coronation Aces to my pencil tracings and they match quite well. However Lite versions does not match with Coronation Aces. https://youtu.be/xvjQMFwfb5o

Purpose is not judge which one of the profiles would be the correct or the best. All I want to highlight is that Lite is NOT the same blade as Ace, but lighter.

On several pairs of old traditional Coronation Ace blades that I have, the thickness is about 0.160"/4 mm, measured across the chromed parallel sides (the chrome relief region is irregular and difficult to measure).  What is the thickness of the Coronation Ace Lite?  Thanks.

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 07:29:29 AM »
What is the thickness of the Coronation Ace Lite?

I do not have so much measurement data from the Ice Lite´s, but so far measured thicknesses has been...
Chromed area 3.80-3.87 mm
Chrome removal area 3.7-3.5 mm (as you said, this is a bit tricky to measure accurately and it varies along the blade areas)

If you are using 3/8" ROH in your blades, 0.2 mm thickness difference in the blade means 0.6 degrees difference in the bite angle. Thinner blade has less bite, if ROH is same in both blades. I know you are aware of this, but there are lots of people whom has not paid attention to this phenomena. You might need to change ROH if blade thickness is not same as in previous. Angle of the "chrome removal" has also own impact to the bite and it varies a lot depending how much edge has rolled (rounded) in the chrome removal process.