You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Does PSA code of conduct affect rink friendships?  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
Does PSA code of conduct affect rink friendships?
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »
If the rink decides that those of us who volunteer as instructors must be be registered with USFSA as a Basic Skills instructor and possibly be PSA CER C certified, would that technically make me a coach under USFSA or PSA rules, even if we don't charge for volunteer instruction, and didn't belong to PSA?

Would it make me subject to the PSA Code of Conduct and Tenets of Professionalism?

Most importantly, do most coaches and instructors interpret the PSA standards to mean that you can't talk to friends who are another coach's students, in our out of an ice rink? Many of my friends are people who I meet at ice rinks, and I'd hate to lose them.

Also, what if someone approaches me on the ice and asks, "how did you do that?" (As you all know, skating with the tiniest modicum of control is enough to make some ask. Mostly kids who need to tie their boots.) If USFSA or PSA considered me a coach just because of the BS Instructor registration and CER-C, would that mean I couldn't casually answer unless they hadn't recently taken lessons from a coach?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Does PSA code of conduct affect rink friendships?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
It really depends on rink culture.  You need to judge how your rink interprets this.

Anyone who asks "how did you do that" likely doesn't have a private coach.  None of these things apply to skaters in group lessons, as the instructors are not considered to be the "coach" of all those students, unless they have a private lesson relationship.

I have friendly relationships with MANY coaches at my rink, and they will often suggest I try something, or ask my coach if he thinks I should try something, if they think it will help.  They draw the line at actual coaching, but have no problem saying "Your sit spin is looking really good- you'll get a nicer line if you point your toe!"  or "Has Carson had you try it from this entry? Ask him if he thinks that will help." 

At some rinks, this may not be okay.  At ours, it is common.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
would that technically make me a coach under USFSA or PSA rules, even if we don't charge for volunteer instruction, and didn't belong to PSA?

No, because you're just an instructor, not a coach.. common sense stuff applies, but there's nothing specifically governing you outside of what is in the instructor's manual.  Registering with USFSA as a coach requires PSA membership, but being a BS instructor doesn't require anything.

If someone approaches you and asked for help/advice, you're probably okay with showing a move or helping them, but the proper thing to do is ask if they have a coach before giving any kind of instruction.

Likewise talking with friends that may be students of other coaches... unless you happen to know that one of those coaches is a real stickler for the "rules" (most aren't quite to that point) then you most likely won't ever have a problem.  The rules are in place to prevent interference (unsolicited advice from a coach directed at someone else's student, this isn't at all like "hey can you take a look at this and see if you can help me figure out what's going wrong" - but more like you see someone doing something blatantly wrong and go up and start trying to "fix" something they are doing) and poaching (stealing students).  The rules are not in place to prevent conversation or camaraderie on or off the ice.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
Many of my friends are coaches (heck, two of them are mine!) and it doesn't dictate or change our relationship for CERs and I don't believe that either of my coaches feel threatened by my friends, even when we're playing on the ice.  Ask your rink what the expectation is, though

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »
If I am skating on a public and the kids are wowed at something they see and ask "how do you do that?"  I just say...".it takes lots and lots of practice."    I think they just want to remark on that thing they saw.  Our rink's culture is that where i know most of the kids who take lessons privately, and don't venture down that road very much......if they ask anything...i may give a brief pointer, and then say..."you'd better ask your coach, though..."

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
Minus a few drama things that go around my rink, there's a group of us that are friends and chit chat and hang out a lot. I'm currently in the process of going from group instructor to private coach and they are all helping me. My coach is the main person I am under though. But there's been times when other coaches have suggested small fixes that will help (like bending my leading arm in the silver three turn sequence rather than keep it straight) and I've suggested small fixes to girls I know are in group lessons. (OT) Mainly one that has a decent scratch spin but for some reason her arms are always up in front of her face instead of where they should be. She didn't understand until I demonstrated what her spin looked like and then it clicked for her. Unfortunately she's made it such a bad habit that if she's not thinking about it the arms go up again....