You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

On the Ice > Sitting on the Boards Rink Side

Figure Skating -- Quick Q's & A's

<< < (11/16) > >>

Sierra:

--- Quote from: drskater on September 24, 2010, 09:13:06 PM ---Ha ha--you mean "ripped off" ISI's Pre-Alpha-Delta program?

--- End quote ---
I see no resemblance between Alpha-Beta-Gamma and Basic 1-2-3...7-8.

--- Quote from: Isk8NYC on September 24, 2010, 06:44:16 PM ---What year did the USFSA "start" the Basic Skills program?

--- End quote ---

I couldn't find the answer :-[ I'm not very good at searching, lol.

aussieskater:

--- Quote from: Isk8NYC on September 23, 2010, 08:40:19 PM ---Believe it or not, this wasn't an issue at the 2010 Olympics.  I guess wearing ropes and being tossed around like a suitcase doesn't count and there's no rule against bad taste, lol.

--- End quote ---

Agree about the bad taste at the 2010 games (who could forget this one??)

http://a.abcnews.com/images/GMA/rt_Domnina_Shabalin2_100222_ssh.jpg

but 2006 mustn't have got the message about the "illusion" of nudity...

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/81432925.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54877F8F179101C8677241D42C94DE9F945A921804CC4AF7BB8

The flowers at the medal ceremony covered more of her than the ""dress" did!!

http://www.zimbio.com/Elena+Grushina

Sorry I don't know the answer to when the basic skills program started.

drskater:
According to the USFS 2009-2010 fact sheet, the Basic Skills program was set up in 1968. Sierra, the idea of a "Learn to Skate" program specifically designed for groups, with a group test ladder is an ISI (then called ISIA) innovation. But I see your point--perhaps I'm really just talking about LTS.

What year did USFS add free skating to its test structure and at what level?

Isk8NYC:
I found the "1968" year to be incredulous, but maybe the Basic Skills programs existed in Colorado, near the USFSA's home?  From the 1970's to the 1990's, Basic Skills programs just didn't exist in the northeast.  The standard-track tests were conducted by Clubs and almost every rink used an ISIA or homegrown LTS program.  The USFSA must have made some change in the 1990's that made Basic Skills more affordable for the rinks since the turnover from ISI to USFSA has been incredible. 

Total guess: The USFSA added Novice, Junior and Senior Freeskate to its test structure in the 1920's or 1930's. Prior to that, all competitions were open.  That would explain "Novice" being so high in the current test structure and the three titles being so cohensive.  (When I skated, Preliminary was the first freeskate test.)

icedancer:

--- Quote from: Isk8NYC on September 25, 2010, 04:54:58 PM ---
Total guess: The USFSA added Novice, Junior and Senior Freeskate to its test structure in the 1920's or 1930's. Prior to that, all competitions were open.  That would explain "Novice" being so high in the current test structure and the three titles being so cohensive.  (When I skated, Preliminary was the first freeskate test.)

--- End quote ---

Total guess but I know that when I skated in the '60s the first Freestyle test came at Novice and you had to pass the 6th Figure test first and then in the same test session, you took the accompanying freeskate (if you passed the figures earlier in the day) - if you did NOT pass the freeskate, you had to take the whole thing over, including the figures.

But I don't know when freeskate tests were first introduced but sometime before the 50s and not sure when the separated the figures from the freestyle tests since I stopped skating in 1968 and started again in the mid-80s when it was all separate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page