You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 2013 Skating Resolutions  (Read 16697 times)

Offline twizzlegram

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: 2013 Skating Resolutions
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
I get nervous just thinking about starting to put together a list of resolutions... gaaah  ???

1. Pass pre-bronze & bronze dances? Dunno the testing schedule, but this seems feasible.
2. Master twizzles & loops (the moves variation)
3. Regain axel, flying back sit & flying back camel. The flying back sit used to be my favorite element - I'd do 50 in a row if given the space. Not so much anymore :(
4. Regain 2S, 2Lo? No idea. My loops always feel like they want to be doubles, but... I don't know.
5. Figure out what happened to the layback part of my layback  :'(

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »
  • Bronze Free Skate Test
  • Silver MIF Test
  • Compete 3 + times at Bronze IV level
  • Create program for Bronze Dramatic IV
  • Go to AN next April

Also on my list of goals is to get a back spin, camel spin, change foot spin, lutz jump, loop-loop, twizzle (any edge or direction) ....seriously the list goes on and on.

Good luck everyone !!! 
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline DrillingSkills

• Dreaming of Diamond Dances
  • Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
This is my first time setting New Year's skating resolutions, so let's see how this turns out in a year...

Definitely feasible:
1) Pass junior silver skills (if it weren't for all 8 loops I'd be a happier person!)
2) Pass my last senior bronze dance and at least 2 junior silver dances (probably Keats' Foxtrot and American Waltz).

Slightly ambitious:
1) Pass senior silver skills.
2) Pass the other 2 junior silver dances to complete the set.
3) Get my pre-injury freestyle skills back (singles up to Lutz with 2 jump combinations, basic spins, camel-sit-change-sit spin)

In my wildest dreams:
1) Pass gold skills (they're phasing these tests out, no date announced yet, and I'd hate to have my senior silver skills and then gold something else).
2) Start working on new/not previously successful freestyle skills (flying camel, layback, Axel, first doubles).

Time for a half-year update! (No more ice time until July so this is as far as I'll get in the first six months of the year)

Junior silver skills, passed May '13
Fourteenstep, passed June '13

Fourteenstep took much longer than expected to pass (I thought it'd be done by April!) so, at this rate, the rest of my "definitely feasible" goals may not happen. However, I've walked through the senior silver skills patterns and, depending on ice time, those just might be done by December!

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »
Thought it was time for a mid-year update on this list

Well I've only been back skating for just under a month, after learning as a child. So, my 2013 goals are:

1. Complete Skate UK (currently working on Levels 2 and 3, with stuff from 4 and 5 thrown in getting there, working on the last 5 levels all at once, and signing things off as we go
2. Begin Skate UK Star - Singles
3. Begin SkateUK Star - Dance
4. Learn a jump. I'm not picky, any will do DONE - currently learning the waltz jump
5. Get a job so I can skate more than once a week  working on it, but there are very few jobs about at the moment. i do skate twice a week now, if I can
6. Have fun, don't get injured, and don't take myself too seriously So far so good on that one
7. Skate in a beginner competition, exhibition or rink show In the pipeline for both a competition and show at our rink
8. Make at least one skating friend at my rink DONE - I have lots of friends at the rink now :)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
I'm eager to see how I'll be doing after a year of unlimited ice time- provided that I keep my job. :)

Skating Goals:
1. Pass Intermediate and Novice MITF.
2. Test Juvenile and Intermediate freeskate.
3. Score level 4 spins in competition.
Well, I did pass Juv FS, and I did keep my job lol.

Unfortunately I've had health issues for this entire year which was only recently diagnosed. My goals are sidelined for now. Maybe next year will be better.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
Well, I did pass Juv FS, and I did keep my job lol.

Unfortunately I've had health issues for this entire year which was only recently diagnosed. My goals are sidelined for now. Maybe next year will be better.

congratulations on the pass, whee!!

Sorry to hear about health issues though. do you mind if I ask... is it skating related?

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
I just realized I completed my resolution this summer.  Yay!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
So, mid-year analysis isn't too bad, actually!

1. Pass Intermediate MITF
2. Land my axel again
3. (Ambitious goal) Land my double sal again
4. Compete at PCAS and ANs - Done
5. Not come in last in my group at ANs - Done for all 3 events
6. Take my next set of partnered dances - Done, passed all bronze, taking first pre-silver next week
7. Pass Pre-Juv FS. Done in June

So 4 of seven so far. Intermediate Move tentatively set for November, so that may happen. 2 and 3, maybe with new jump coach. Must keep working!

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about health issues though. do you mind if I ask... is it skating related?
Skating was a contributing factor.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
As the year draws to a close, how did you do?  2014 thread is starting shortly!!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
I met one of four, but I've been struggling with lung problems that hold me back. It's hard to work hard when you're out of breath after nearly everything you do. :(
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
I can't find if I posted my goals anywhere here (I meant to, they are in my journal!), but I will say I did meet 2.5 of my 6 goals for the year (2.5 because I am part-way through the  second dance test I wanted to complete).  I also competed at AN and passed the moves test I was working on.  Yay!

The resolutions I didn't complete were all related to jumps - which, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to really work on due to multiple injuries.  Maybe next year (though I'm not getting any younger :P)!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »
I picked 13 for 2013  ;)

1. Improve 3 turns backwards and forwards, inside and outside so that they are large and nice enough to pass Silver Moves test. They are improved but not large enough. A few weeks ago I was getting the right size on the RFI/LBO. Progress.

2. All spirals have free leg above hip height. Yes! They are all a teeny bit above, but they are above hip height.

3. Pass USFS Silver Moves test. Some moves have improved a lot: cross strokes and power pulls. The 8 step and spiral patterns are good if I consistently work on them. Three turn patterns continue to give me fits, but every now and then I will do one set well enough to give me hope that I will be able to pass it at some point.

4. Pass ISI Silver FS test. I am so very close! I am 1/2-1 rev short on the sit spin at legal 90 degree level. I am 2 revs short on the camel. Jumps are good.

5. Sit spin with the butt below 90 degrees. Yes! I can do 3-3.5 revs that low.

6. Axel - land one! Ha! This was a super stretch goal. I did start axel prep drills this summer and coach lets me work on them sporadically when everything else looks good.

7. A consistent backspin with 10 revs feet crossed. I am currently at 4 consistently, but the feet are crossed.

8. Master ISI FS 4 Dance step. Sort of gave up on this one as I am doing the 16 steps option for the test.

9. Learn brackets. Started working on them some.

10. Have a consistent spin combo of foward camel (5 rev), back camel (4 rev), foward sit spin (5 revs). This has gone by the wayside since I switched coaches. The best I ever did was 3-2-3.

11. Improve the height and flow of all my single jumps and combos. Yes! The last 2-3 months something clicked and my jumps have so much more height and flow.

12. Have a consistent camel layback combo. Another one that went away with the coaching change.

13. Skate a competitive Bronze program with style and expression. Not in the cards this year. Focus has been on ISI test program.

------I would also love as a bonus to be able to do a hydroblade and a twisted sit spin.
I am getting pretty low on the hydro blade. Tonight I got both hands down on the ice, just need to let myself lean into it more.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
  • Sit my next pattern dance test. (I test in a fortnight so which level I hope to test in 2013 depends on how that one goes! :))
  • Test my Rhythm Blues variation.
Nope to both of these. My papers are in for them so whenever the next dance test happens I should be there. Maybe in Feb?
  • Improve spins (carried over from 2012!) especially backspin.
Epic fail. Injury (and new blades) meant they are probably worse than last year. Now beginning to improve and finally not be too painful to try!
  • A foxtrot Right Outside closed mohawk that works consistently. ::>) I want to do the foxtrot!
It works much more regularly but I still wouldn't say it is conistant yet. New boots / blades I could actually balance on / get onto an edge on has helped a lot. Started regularly trying the foxtrot - oddly the hardest bit is now the backwards cross / step forwards! 88)
  • Move closer to testing level 3 field moves. Currently 2/4 parts are improving, but the other 2 (spirals on edges + forward & backwards 3 turns) suck!
:blush:
  • Learn a Free dance program. (carried over from 2012!)
Yes - finally! Needs a lot of work but it is fun!
  • Learn more footwork, especially turns (rockers, counters and maybe brackets).
Work in progress. :-\
  • Re-learn Speadeagles and Ina Bauers.
Still poor.
  • Do something in the club exhibition or club competition (if it happens this year!). Try skating at an Adult Open competition (maybe in Nov?)? Pattern dance and maybe free dance depending on how that goes!
No club comp or exhibition this year. I got up the courage to enter the comp in Nov (would have been my 1st as an adult!) but it got cancelled. :'(

Bit of a mixed bag! Oh well. :WS:

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 06:11:16 AM »
Well, this year was a bit of a write-off skating wise, with the rink closed for so long due to the roofing repairs and the fire, so my sole goal of becoming more confident on the ice not only did not eventuate, but I think I've actually gone backwards (as have my skills, but they weren't part of my resolutions).

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 08:18:55 AM »
Bronze Free Skate Test Yes, passed on Oct 25
Silver MIF Test  Currently working on them. Possible test in January 2014
Compete 3 + times at Bronze IV level No - not ready yet
Create program for Bronze Dramatic IV Have choreographer working on LE and Dramatic as well as revamping technical program
Go to AN next April Yes .. Registered yesterday

Also on my list of goals is to get a back spin, yes 4-5 revs, camel spin, yes 4-5 revs, change foot spin, No, lutz jump, yes just last week, loop-loop, yes.. Small, twizzle (any edge or direction) No ....seriously the list goes on and on.

Good luck everyone !!!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »
Things didn't shake out exactly as I "resolved", but overall I did pretty well on my 2013 resolutions.
1. Skate in two local competitions, March and September. My goal for March is to not self-destruct. My goal for September is to skate clean.
I skated in three. March, June and September. In March, I skated my program better than I ever had. In June and September, I discovered that I have major spin consistency issues and I actually fell in September.
2. Test silver moves and pre-bronze dances in April (and pass)
I failed silver moves in April, but I passed them in May. My dance coach got injured in March so I didn't get to test my pre-bronze dances until July, but I passed them all with very nice marks.
3. Test bronze free skate, probably in the October - December time frame (and pass! - with an eye towards Nationals in 2014.)
I actually tested EARLY! I passed my bronze FS in July.
4. Start axel and double salchow (and land them--haha! But this is my number one desire.)
I started on axel in September. I'm not rotating them, but I do have days when I land a lot of underrotated axels on one foot. One of my coach wants to start me on some doubles soon, but I haven't started on double sal yet.
5. 15 revolution scratch spin (I did a 12 rev one the other day, so this may actually be achievable)
Occasionally. I don't work on scratch that often. 88)
6. consistent back spin and sit spin with centered 4-6 revolutions each
Back spin averages about 5 revs. Sit spin normally gets 8 or 9.
7. 3 revolutions on camel spin and maybe layback spin
Camel spin often gets 3 revs, though I still struggle with consistency on it. I still don't have a layback spin :(
8. CCW outside spreadeagle
I've not really worked on this. I might in the new year, I might not.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »

1. Pass Intermediate MITF Nope. Kept getting pushed back, and now it's likely to be summer
2. Land my axel again Yes! Once so far, but hoping for more.
3. (Ambitious goal) Land my double sal again not yet, just started cleaning up single sal to start working on it.
4. Compete at PCAS and ANs Done!
5. Not come in last in my group at ANs Not only did I not come in last, I medaled in all 3 events.
6. Take my next set of partnered dances Passed the first two Bronze dances in June, final one in July
7. Pass Pre-Juv FS. Passed in June!