You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Original Bowie, Maryland Ice Arena reopens  (Read 3191 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Original Bowie, Maryland Ice Arena reopens
« on: July 31, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
After all the political folderol and back stabbing surrounding the new rink (cancelled after granting a contract to build the thing--the legal fallout is still to come home to roost for that city council decision), plus a major mechanical defugalty at the original rink, the original rink is finally back on line, offering FS sessions (prereigister over the phone, limited to 20) and stick and puck sessions (limited to 22).  Next week the rink will offer public sessions but only to those with their own equipment.  Publics will be limited to the first 30 skaters at the door (no preregistration offered--I guess just bring your brass knuckles).

Our Governor keeps (blocked)ing with the Covid restrictions but to my way of thinking  finally got it right:  as of 5pm today, all skaters must wear a mask out on the ice.  Earlier this week, skaters had to wear masks when entering the lobby but for reasons which escape me, not on the ice.  I decided to brave it this afternoon before the on-ice restriction kicked in.  I wore a mask as did roughly half of the skaters on the sold out session.  After being off the ice since mid-March, the first few minutes were a bit sketchy but then things settled down and I am happy to say that most of the limited range of elements which I can do reported for duty.  On the other hand, I've completely forgotten all the steps of the Fiesta Tango!  Coach A. will not be pleased... 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Original Bowie, Maryland Ice Arena reopens
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:34 PM »
I'm one state over (VA) I skate with a mask, it's not the nightmare some people say it is. I don't think they'll make that big a decision from no mask on the ice, to wear mask on the ice because they got a lot of stuff going on.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Original Bowie, Maryland Ice Arena reopens
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 05:41:23 AM »
Next week the rink will offer public sessions but only to those with their own equipment.  Publics will be limited to the first 30 skaters at the door (no preregistration offered--I guess just bring your brass knuckles).
<<Emphasis added>>  Now this is truly a stupid policy.  I still remember mid March in my area when the governor issued stay-at-home orders, with exceptions for essential services.  There were restrictions on essential services, such as no more than 50 customers at one time or no more than X% of maximum occupancy at one time.  So predictably, customers reacted by lining up well in advance of opening time, reminiscent of Thanksgiving doorbuster sales.  Some supermarkets had senior-citizens-only hours starting as early as 6 am.  Local news crews went out and captured lines forming as early as 4:30 am. 

While I don't think public session skaters will be as desperate as senior citizens hunting for toilet paper, if you're trying to reduce viral spread, you want to avoid policies that create crowds.  An even bigger mess happened in my area when the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) re-opened a few weeks ago on a first-come-first-serve, no appointments, basis.  After mucho people waited all day long, just to be turned away at closing time, they resorted to camping out overnight in DMV parking lots.

If demand greatly exceeds capacity, you need a reservation system.  Perhaps throw in a lottery system to reduce chaos and ensure fairness, if needed.