You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Premiere boots  (Read 18447 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Re: Jackson Premiere boots
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
The Freestyle should be fine - I sometimes wish I had gotten another pair.  I have had my Premieres for a few months now and they feel great with the top hook open.  I tried to lace the top hook again this week.  Even with the gel ankle sleeves it took 'til the next day for the pain from the top edge of the boots to go away (whine.) A few months of 205 lbs at 3-6 hours a week and they still don't feel like they flex at all.  Granted, I only do single jumps, but I usually get about .7 or .8 seconds in the air on my waltz, which is around 2 feet up. You would have thought that would have flexed the boots some by now.  

The good thing is that my edges are rock solid, turns/twizzles/pulls are very predictable so they are really improving and my spinning is coming along because of the very stable platform.  Pretty good trade off, but I have to skate with the top hook open.  And when I can get back to 10+ hrs/wk I'll be glad I have them.

Personally can't imagine a small, light skater breaking them in unless they are doing a whole bunch of big jumps 3 or 4 hours a day.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
A few months of 205 lbs at 3-6 hours a week and they still don't feel like they flex at all.

I weigh (considerably) less than you do, and it only took about 20 hours of skating on my elite plus boots to get them to bend nicely and feel broken in... and I am not doing doubles any more - in fact right now I can't do all of my singles (which is a mental block more than a true inability).  I don't lace the top hooks, but I never laced the top hooks on my prior 3 pairs of skates either... my experience was that to force the boot to bend more once it was laced all the way up, led to the premature breaking down of the boot... not lacing the top allows my ankle to flex more without forcing the boot to do the same.

I have always been hard on my boots... I think that skating style (deep edges, power, etc) has a lot to do with that, more than the skater's size.  I have broken down boots in months that should have lasted much longer... it may be due to the lacing issue I mentioned before, but it might not be, since that wasn't for case for every pair that I broke down.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »
The good thing is that my edges are rock solid, turns/twizzles/pulls are very predictable so they are really improving and my spinning is coming along because of the very stable platform.  Pretty good trade off, but I have to skate with the top hook open.  And when I can get back to 10+ hrs/wk I'll be glad I have them.

I am really happy to hear that.  I just got Premiere boots on Friday.  Switched from Reidell 435's which totally imploded after 14 mos.(there are pictures of it on the show off your skates thread).  None of my moves ever felt stable in the Reidell boots.  I skated in them on Sat. and the spins were surprisingly centered. I didn't do any jumps.  I'll be looking forward to Moves now.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »

Just saw this on YouTube... there are LOTS of videos from Jackson up... if there's any part of Jackson's line that you wanted to know more about, check out their other uploads :)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
How are the Freestyle boots and professional blade going?
& what site did you buy them off?
Im at a slightly lower level also looking at a range of skates

She is in the new skates now and she is happy. Of coarse, she is going through the normal break in period but she likes them better then her old skates. Could be because her toes were smashed in the old pair. LOL! I think it was wise to switch to the Freestyle. Hopefully she doesn't break them down before she outgrows them, but if she does, we'll dig deeper into why she is doing this...

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Update... so far so good. She has been in these skates for 4 months and they are not breaking down. They are broken in but not anything like her Gold Star boots last year. I am so happy we made the right choice. The Premiere boots would have been too much boot for her. :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
I have had my Premieres for a few months now and they feel great with the top hook open.  I tried to lace the top hook again this week.  Even with the gel ankle sleeves it took 'til the next day for the pain from the top edge of the boots to go away (whine.)

So weird- I have had the complete opposite experience.  I am 5'0" and under 10 pounds overweight for my height (I'm not posting my weight!)  My jumps are teeny tiny, and I don't practice them much (I hate jumping). 

It took me 4 1-hour public sessions to be able to start lacing the top hook. I was not jumping at all (trying to get used to new blades).  Just forward skating, swizzling, and crossovers.  Now I lace all the way up, and am jumping again.  I can feel my ankle pressing against the side of them on landing position, but it's not painful- and they give enough in the forward direction that I get good bend for crossovers. 

As for the top edge- they are so wonderful I STOPPED wearing gel pads entirely (I skate barefoot).  I have scars from the cuts the competitors gave me (I would bleed if I I skated 30 minute LTS without gel pads), but these, I don't need anything at all.

My only complaint is I don't feel like I can get them to stay tight enough. I think it's just because the tongue is so padded they feel loose, but aren't. (If I tighten them, then my feet go numb, so they must have been okay.)

Offline flo

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 33
  • Master Pairs
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:32 PM »
I ordered my new boots and blades today.  Jackson Elite 4000 dance and phantoms.  I looked at the synchro-dance combo Finesse skates - nice!  When I stop working on doubles, those might be a great option. :WS:

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
My fitter said the Finesse was for low level dance/synchro and she wouldn't recommend them for someone doing any jumping- they are the stiffness of the Freestyle, but cut further down so offer less support.

If you are jumping, I'd stick to the higher level dance boots you have.

Offline flo

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 33
  • Master Pairs
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »

The Finesse are not as stiff as what I'm use to, but would be ok for singles and edge work.  They were rated at an intermediate dance, and felt pretty good.  I did not expect that they would be as supportive as they were, and was surprised.  They would wear out more quickly, but are also at a great price.

I do like the lower cut.  I've been doing freestyle in dance boots for several years now and they have been great.  I have the stiffness of the elite fs boots, but with the flexibility of dance boots.  They have been fine for working on throws and doubles.  They do take some getting use to - there is not as much support in the back, and the technique needs to really be there, but making corrections in spins is easier.  Outside eagles are also a bit more difficult and take some practice!  The dance boots I had were no longer made, so these will be a little different.  3 hooks, no more elastic in the back and more comfortable with a rolled padded top.    So, six weeks from now - new boots!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
So I had to join the club and I've ordered a pair of Premiers too... I'm not sure what blades I'll end up putting on them, and I don't even need a pair of skates right now, but I couldn't resist - I've wanted to try them since they came out and honestly if they had been available two years ago when I bought my boots I probably wouldn't have gone with the ones I got.

I'm currently debating between going cheaper and getting a pair of MK Professionals (or coro-aces), going a bit higher and getting the Matrix 2 Legacy, or saving up a bit and getting Gold Seals, or saving even more and getting paramounts (which I've actually wanted for a while, but the $500+ price tag for the 440's seems a bit much).  I have a while to decide on that though, since I won't be able to buy blades until at least next month.  I do have an ancient pair of MK dance blades that were given to me ages ago that maybe have 3-4 sharpenings left that I may put on them for now, so I can start breaking the skates in doing moves or something.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
I love my boots & my blades...because the blades are made with aluminum, they are lighter. Not a big deal for most people but I like it. The toe-pick is uber sharp and I've scratched myself with it (picking up my boots).  Because my blades were shorter I've had to re-adjust my spin spot. But it's going well. I think you will like the boots.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
I currently have Wifa's and was looking at the Skatec but doesnt seem like many people buy them and most people at the rink have the Freestyles so I think I will get them.
I was looking at the Protege blade though, know anyone who has/does use it?

It was helpful :)

The Protege blade is a decent blade, a step up from the Mirage. I know a few skaters who wear them, and a few coaches who have downgraded to them from their competitive blade.  They have straight cut toe picks (which I prefer) if you want cross cut, the Legacy is the same blade.

If you have the extra money and don't mind cross cuts, I highly recommend the Matrix Legacy.  The harder steel means a lot longer between sharpenings, and I think my edges have improved solely due to the blade (the "rip" I get is so wonderful, makes you feel like a real skater!).  Plus, pretty colors :)  Or not, if that isn't your thing.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
The Protege blade is a decent blade, a step up from the Mirage. I know a few skaters who wear them, and a few coaches who have downgraded to them from their competitive blade.  They have straight cut toe picks (which I prefer) if you want cross cut, the Legacy is the same blade.

If you have the extra money and don't mind cross cuts, I highly recommend the Matrix Legacy.  The harder steel means a lot longer between sharpenings, and I think my edges have improved solely due to the blade (the "rip" I get is so wonderful, makes you feel like a real skater!).  Plus, pretty colors :)  Or not, if that isn't your thing.
I didn't get mine in a color (well, silver is a color hahaha) but I did see several girls at U of De skate with them in colors and they are really pretty! Not flamboyant but pretty.  I think if they had offered white, that would have been really cool to get...it would have blended in with the ice.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
Is 3/8" less than the length of the sole too short for the blades, or would that be okay?

I'm really struggling with this now since I realized the dance blades I have are shorter than I thought they were.. and I am worried that they'll be "too short" since those blades are already shorter.  Ack :(

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
I have Jackson Premiere with Coronation Ace parabolic blades and I love them!  :WS: Had them for six months now, did a competition six weeks after getting them and was fine (well, comp was bad but not because of the skates lol!)

I'm very overweight and working on small single jumps (stilll can't land loop) so I felt I needed something quite supportive. Took a few weeks of skating about three or four times a week to break them in, but I no longer get the pain in my arches that i used to with my prevuous pair (Edea Overtures that i think may have been half a size too big).