You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Stretching  (Read 8579 times)

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Stretching
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »
Thank you PhysicsOnIce! That really helps a lot. I am definitely going to start trying to stretch this way instead of on the floor.
Query, you are right. Actually one of the first reviews on Amazon shows how to make one yourself using dog-leash straps. I'll be busy doing just that tomorrow.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I've posted a list--with detailed descriptions--of the 30-minute stretch routine I do at the rink after skating, which are mostly stretches taught to me by my physical therapist.  Thanks to this routine, I got my forward splits in both directions for the first time in my life in my 40's.  I don't have time to do a search for the post(s) right now, but I think I posted it within the past few months as a response in somebody's thread.  The most important thing is to hold each position for at least 30 full seconds (use a stopwatch if you have one0 and to use correct form.  No shortcuts.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
That was a very good post, too Doubletoe!

It's here: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=6001.0

find reply #22.  Don't know how to link to that reply specifically, otherwise I'd have done it.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
Thank you, Loops! :)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
I have a Flexistretcher, which I have come to love. It's a combination of a resistance band (elastic in the middle) and straps (coming down from the elastic on both sides). The nice thing about it is that it helps with the flexibility part, but it also helps strengthen because of the resistance. And you can adjust the resistance as needed by shortening or lengthening the straps. I'm not strong enough to hold some of the positions I can get to, but by doing different control exercises it's beginning to help that as well.