You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Any judges.. re spin question  (Read 4781 times)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Any judges.. re spin question
« on: June 12, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »
Someone told us back spin is no longer a feature? Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks! :WS: :BS:

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Any judges.. re spin question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:33:45 AM »
Someone told us back spin is no longer a feature? Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks! :WS: :BS:

Not a judge but I read the changes for next season which are on the ISU website (because I feel that as a skater I should understand the rules) and it says that back entry to a spin is no longer considered a difficult entry so it won't get you a level feature.
What I've not worked out is what a difficult entry is? And what difficult entry is the easiest for a bronze level adult skater to learn? (I was just getting there with my back spin and now they go and make the change).

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 01:36:44 AM »
http://www.usfsa.org/New_Judging.asp?id=355

Select "Level of Difficulty" for the current American level rules.  Notice spin feature 6.  Also it partly answers fsk8r's question.  IJS features are not relevant to Bronze or any other 6.0 level, right?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 01:52:30 AM »
What I've not worked out is what a difficult entry is? And what difficult entry is the easiest for a bronze level adult skater to learn?

I think I am figuring out that there is no such thing as a difficult entry in IJS.  None of the difficult variations are entries, except for the difficult flying entries which are either a one foot jump or a change of foot on landing.  Check out page 8 of the ISU Technical Panel Handbook.  Flying spins are not allowed in Bronze.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:28:49 AM »
  IJS features are not relevant to Bronze or any other 6.0 level, right?

This is correct for the US from my understanding, but I'm in the UK and we're IJS for all levels. And all international Adult competitions are IJS for all levels, so bronze level skaters do need to be aware of IJS features.

I've seen the kids starting to practice rolling double 3s into their spins. I think their coach is hoping it'll count as a difficult entry, but as we've not had a competition yet under the new requirements, I don't know whether it's acceptable. Now if I could work out how to do that and have enough momentum to get into the spin I'd be laughing.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
Not a judge but I read the changes for next season which are on the ISU website (because I feel that as a skater I should understand the rules) and it says that back entry to a spin is no longer considered a difficult entry so it won't get you a level feature.
What I've not worked out is what a difficult entry is? And what difficult entry is the easiest for a bronze level adult skater to learn? (I was just getting there with my back spin and now they go and make the change).

I read the ISU changes as well,  but then USFSA doesnt have to follow them for novice,intermed and Juv. ISU said singles in short have no face value and USFSA came out with another answer. On way to rink or I would link it.
edited to add link http://www.usfsa.org/content/TN%20148%20Singles%20Calling%20Clarification%20for%20Novice%20and%20Lower%20(1).pdf
So back camel, back tuck ect no longer count?
Thanks

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »

So back camel, back tuck ect no longer count?
Thanks

The only thing they took away was a back ENTRY spin as an additional level. So, it's not a level one just because you go into your combo spin using a backspin entry.

However, difficult variations within the spin (such as a back tuck) could count towards a level provided it meets the criteria for the spin being attempted.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
The only thing they took away was a back ENTRY spin as an additional level. So, it's not a level one just because you go into your combo spin using a backspin entry.

However, difficult variations within the spin (such as a back tuck) could count towards a level provided it meets the criteria for the spin being attempted.

That is the way I thought as well.Just trying to make sure the level 4 spin from last year stays level 4 :) She had last year back camel,back tuck,broken leg and haircutter.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 08:13:55 AM »
That is the way I thought as well.Just trying to make sure the level 4 spin from last year stays level 4 :) She had last year back camel,back tuck,broken leg and haircutter.

From what I understand of the kids doing Novice in the UK they are all having to find an additional feature to get things to stay level 4. One of the kids said all her spins from this past year are going to be downgraded a level because of the change (and they were all level 3 or 4 spins).

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
according to my coach who's a TS, rolling back double threes to the back entry WILL count.

USFS will change the rules, but after 7/1 and to their liking

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
according to my coach who's a TS, rolling back double threes to the back entry WILL count.

lol I know they will change them,first comp of the season July 8. Its a shame USFSA thinks coaches are :psychic and know what should be in programs !

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 12:45:35 AM »

That's good to know. Anything us lower level skaters might be able to try?
I saw someone yesterday doing an inside spread into back spin and I thought that might count as it can't be that easy, but it looked like something that might be doable for me.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
I asked about something like that (spread eagles, both inner and outer, are fairly easy for me) and was told nope.  Rolling threes or from a back spiral (good luck on that!!) are the ones that are most likely to be called. 

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 02:02:21 AM »
I asked about something like that (spread eagles, both inner and outer, are fairly easy for me) and was told nope.  Rolling threes or from a back spiral (good luck on that!!) are the ones that are most likely to be called.

Back spiral! They'll be lucky. That sounds like a suicide mission. Although, I suppose forward spiral into camel spin would be considered too easy as I can conceive the concept.