You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adults: So, why *Do* you skate?  (Read 8278 times)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Adults: So, why *Do* you skate?
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »
I skate because I can.  It is something I know how to do.

I can't imagine taking up another sport (and why would I want to?).

I also happen to be completely in love with almost every aspect of it!

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
I must admit, I'm glad I stayed with it and the others left.  At an anniversary event for one of the skating clubs I belong to, I saw many of those negative people.  They are all fat and old now.  I'm not young and I'm not thin, but, I look younger and thinner than they do! ::>)

Skate because you want to and to heck with what anyone else says. (Although I would LOVE to be 129 pounds again!) :blush:
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
I skated as a kid - I didn't progress very far because my mother was very much against me skating. When we moved to our current house I realised that I was surrounded by rinks so I found some really cheapie skates and went along to see if I could still stand up on ice, and I could  ;D
OH then said he wanted lessons but skating isn't for him, however I went along to support him and when he decided to stop I continued with the lessons.
I'm progressing slowly as I'm scared of falling (it's a lot further than when I was a kid, and there's a lot more to hurt!) but I enjoy the feeling of mastering a skill, and the people I skate with a lovely.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »
Although I would LOVE to be 129 pounds again!

The only way I will ever weigh 129 pounds again is if I cut off my left leg. Can't be the right--I need it to drive.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 02:18:35 AM »
The only way I will ever weigh 129 pounds again is if I cut off my left leg. Can't be the right--I need it to drive.

You don't brake   :o  ;)

A good 'bout with mono did it for me.  But it only lasted about a day......

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
Finally got around to looking up the conversion, 129 poinds is 58 kg. I think I'd need to cut off more than a leg. At my lightest I was 60kg, but that was about 14 years ago, but I know those days are looong gone. I reckon if I can get back to being a size 14 (U.S. size 12) I'd be ecstatic.

Offline Matsumoto

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
Hello everyone.  I've recently joined and this is my first post.  I started ice skating (for real) last year when my daughter started taking private lessons.  The main reason was that it's something that I always loved watching when I was growing up and I finally found myself with an opportunity to learn to do it.

Now, I'm addicted to it.  During the day my job has me sitting behind a desk and I find that figure skating gives me a way to disconnect from that for 1 (or more) hours and just focus on controlling my body with my mind.  It's really refreshing and therapeutic!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
I skate partly because it's the world I'm comfortable in.  I have skated my entire life and something always draws me back.

The reasons I have for still skating as an adult are

- it's great exercise
- I'm a stay at home mom and it's a nice social activity
- I'm good at it

I think the combination of feeling like I'm doing something I'm good at while getting exercise and having people compliment my ability is what draws me back.  It's something that will always be a part of my life.  I take breaks but I always come back to skating. 

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
Finally got around to looking up the conversion, 129 poinds is 58 kg. I think I'd need to cut off more than a leg. At my lightest I was 60kg, but that was about 14 years ago, but I know those days are looong gone. I reckon if I can get back to being a size 14 (U.S. size 12) I'd be ecstatic.

My doctor would be thrilled if I was 129 pounds again!  She's forever telling me to drop weight; the exact amount that would get me back to 129/130 pounds. 8)
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/