You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Getting over fear on the ice  (Read 10568 times)

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
Getting over fear on the ice
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »
I've been skating just about a year and have gone through ISI's Basic Skills. So I know how to stroke, do crossovers, mohawks, etc. But I can't  seem to "connect things" (like switching from forward to backwards) at speed without slowing down first.

How did you get over fear of falling (as in going from stroking to mohawk to back crossovers at a relatively good speed)?

Thanks!
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Re: Getting over fear on the ice
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »
What you are asking takes time to develop and core strength and stability. What is why footwork sequences can be hard, because it requires you to switch directions quickly.  You will develop the skills as you get more comfortable on the ice. That being said, even when you get comfortable on the ice, falling is part of skating. It will always be there, remember you are on top of only a few millimeters of metal...

What will separate you from the crowd will be having the  courage to get up and try again.

Start off slowly, but making sure that you keep a constant speed when switching directions, once you feel comfortable working at a particular speed increase it. Also, something very important skating that a lot of skaters forget, myself included, is to bend your knees. The deeper your knee bend typically the smoother the transition will be.  In regards to speed, what you don't want to do is start off fast, hit your toe picks and then do a mohawk, that will end up with you face platting into the ice. What you can try to do is for example the 5 or 8 step mohawk sequences to help you get comfortable with directional changes. You'll find them on the MIF Website of the USFSA.  Make sure that you work in both directions... you will always prefer one turning direction.  Only working in the direction were you feel comfortable, will result in you being able to do it well in one direction, but no the other.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »
   Make sure that you work in both directions... you will always prefer one turning direction.  Only working in the direction were you feel comfortable, will result in you being able to do it well in one direction, but no the other.
I would like to add that working only to one side also ends up creating its own muscular imbalance.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
How did you get over fear of falling (as in going from stroking to mohawk to back crossovers at a relatively good speed)?

In this specific example, you have to start slowly (literally), and work your way up.  It is unrealistic to expect to be able to do everything as fast as you'd like to - everything in skating involves a progression.  As your confidence and muscle control improves, the speed will come.  I agree with PhysicsOnIce recommendation to just aim for a constant speed - even if it's slower than you want to be skating, maintaining a consistent speed through the change of direction will also make the move look stronger and flow much better than it would if you skated faster, then slowed down for the turn, then sped up again.  As mentioned, the 5 step mohawk sequence is a great exercise to help with this - mostly because in addition to all of the changes of direction, it also really requires you to push with every stroke (except the last slip) to maintain your speed, even if you are skating the pattern slowly - so you really can't get away with chickening out for the turns, you still have to push to maintain your momentum.  Another one that is good is the swing roll - change edge - mohawk combo from the crossover pattern on pre-bronze moves (which can be done in both directions, just alternate which side you start on) because it gives you more time to get ready for the turn, but each component of the move is important and may help you get more comfortable with where your upper body needs to be before those turns.

And, for what it's worth, I don't think anyone truly gets over the fear of falling - what will change though, is the things you are afraid of falling on.  Making yourself fall in a fun way every time you skate can also help get your mind out of that panicked "what if I fall" situation of making up scenarios to avoid on the ice.  Everyone falls - learning to fall safely, and practicing that skill is just as important as anything else you learn on the ice.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
when I first joined synchro, the team I was with used to skate really fast (for me) down the ice and at the end would do a mohawk before moving onto the next element. I couldn't do the mohawk at the speed they were going at. I'd got used to the skating really fast bit, fairly quickly, but the mohawk just wouldn't happen. My coach used to make me do a mohawk when transitioning from forward crossrolls to backward ones. His aim was to help me do the mohawk at synchro (while really working on my crossrolls). I would bottle the turn most of the time, slow down and do it. And then one day, I just realised that if I picked up my free foot, I could turn it out and then place it down backwards. And hey presto I'd mohawked. The synchro coach was gobsmacked when I next saw her and just did it. she wanted to know what had changed. nothing had changed, I just realised, that once I was on one foot it was easier to turn than to put the foot down and snowplough.

So that got me over that starting block on how to turn when skating "fast," it's Ok, I've just found new exercises which I don't want to do "fast" but with practice they get faster. My last step sequence had to have the ending changed 5 times as I kept going faster and we kept having to take steps out so I didn't hit the barrier. I suspect that this is just the thing with skating. You've just got to keep practicing and aiming to go faster.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:59:28 PM »
And, for what it's worth, I don't think anyone truly gets over the fear of falling - what will change though, is the things you are afraid of falling on.  Making yourself fall in a fun way every time you skate can also help get your mind out of that panicked "what if I fall" situation of making up scenarios to avoid on the ice.  Everyone falls - learning to fall safely, and practicing that skill is just as important as anything else you learn on the ice.

This is so true!!!  And I would also add that "if you're not falling, you're not trying hard enough".  That was my old coach's mantra.  Falls happen.  They usually hurt the pride more than the bum....

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:48 PM »
Thank you SO much, everyone! Everything you said makes so much sense--I'm excited to get working on it.  :D

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »
I can do a Mohawk on my good side at a good speed, but I totally know what you mean cause three turns going fast makes me nervous lol!!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
I'm not at this level quite yet, but this was still helpful!  One of the main things holding me back (besides just lack of time on the ice) is fear of falling... in fact in nearly two years of skating roughly weekly I literally have never fallen at all, and not surprisingly, have progressed very slowly.  I think I need to actually practice falling somehow (not just getting back up, which I can do just fine).  Any tips?  I'm wondering if doing a two foot glide and dip, and then deliberately tipping sideways would be a good way to start to practice falling safely from a shorter distance above the ice.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »
The more you fall, the more you realize it doesn't usually hurt so much.  Falls come when you are least expecting it.  Usually, when you are doing something "easy" is when the worst falls happen.  99.999999999999% of skating falls do not leave any serious  injury, but 20% of the falls will make you a little sore for a day or two. That means that 79.999999% of the falls don't hurt for long.  Usually, it's a "smart" type of pain.

Speed develops slowly, especially for adults who never skated as children.  It may take you 8 years.  It's not about doing things fast, it's about doing things technically correct and with a smile on your face.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »

I'm not at this level quite yet, but this was still helpful!  One of the main things holding me back (besides just lack of time on the ice) is fear of falling... in fact in nearly two years of skating roughly weekly I literally have never fallen at all, and not surprisingly, have progressed very slowly.  I think I need to actually practice falling somehow (not just getting back up, which I can do just fine).  Any tips?  I'm wondering if doing a two foot glide and dip, and then deliberately tipping sideways would be a good way to start to practice falling safely from a shorter distance above the ice.

I was thinking about this too, after I totally fell on an inside 3 turn the other day lol. Completely took me by surprise. Anyway,the lts curriculum actually has falling/getting up as a skill, so perhaps some of the coaches can weigh in. I actually can't remember!

I forgot to mention that I appreciate all of the tips too! :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:03 AM »
I find NOT falling often hurts more than falling. Saving yourself from the fall quite often pulls something that you didn't mean to.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

I find NOT falling often hurts more than falling. Saving yourself from the fall quite often pulls something that you didn't mean to.

True! I broke my ankle trying not to fall!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »

True! I broke my ankle trying not to fall!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

OMG... :o

Ripping the ice all day!

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

What we use to do with the little ones at our rink, was simply sitting them on the ice, and making friends with the ice. I know that sounds super childish, but it does make you realize that the ice will not deliberately hurt you, unless you hurt it...

On the other hand, I think one of the best ways of learning to fall is "shutting the duck", ie go into a dip and stick out one leg in front of you. If you do not maintain a proper balance on the skating leg you will automatically fall backwards. It's not a long way down and if you do it with a bit of speed, you'll end up just sliding forward. Make sure you are wearing waterproof pants. Also something you might want to try is hydroblading, but truly getting your butt down further than you are comfortable, this will have the same effect of "shutting the duck".

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
What we use to do with the little ones at our rink, was simply sitting them on the ice, and making friends with the ice. I know that sounds super childish, but it does make you realize that the ice will not deliberately hurt you, unless you hurt it...

On the other hand, I think one of the best ways of learning to fall is "shutting the duck", ie go into a dip and stick out one leg in front of you. If you do not maintain a proper balance on the skating leg you will automatically fall backwards. It's not a long way down and if you do it with a bit of speed, you'll end up just sliding forward. Make sure you are wearing waterproof pants. Also something you might want to try is hydroblading, but truly getting your butt down further than you are comfortable, this will have the same effect of "shutting the duck".

I like this!  Then I can tell people that I'm practicing shoot-the-duck instead of practicing falling, which sounds a little silly (even though it isn't).

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
It works! (I know from experience.). They're "fun" falls, too. :)

Offline xoxo_tw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »
For myself , the most scary move is any 1 foot turn in high speed.  I came over it when I started to trust my skates ,  I use to think it will be ok, as the sharpness ofthe blade will handle everything . 

Speed is our friend !

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »
I already sent you a link to my page on falling gently.

But like everything else, the real answer is lots of practice.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »
This! Although I rarely fall, once I realise it's inevitable I will just go with it and generally end up doing little or no damage. There are still some freak falls that come out of nowhere (as my knees can tell you after a trip a couple of weeks back), but if you can learn to not have the panic response it will help a lot. That doesn't mean I'm not scared of falling (well, it's not the fall as such I'm scared of, it's the fear of a broken bone), but the falls I do have are generally pretty minor, and I always make sure to immediately go and do again whatever it was I fell doing, because otherwise I'll never do it again!

Of course doing mainly dance I get saved from falls a lot by my coach - I think he should probably let me fall sometimes rather than holding me up!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Not falling certainly doesn't hurt more than falling.

But if you're gonna fall then go with the fall. Many aren't save able so it isn't worth wasting the energy and tensing up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »
With wrist guards and knee pads, I'm cool with the ice.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
Here I am again, more speed and those turns are freaking me out again lol

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 08:40:31 PM »
Here I am again, more speed and those turns are freaking me out again lol

I know exactly how you feel. Same thing happening here. ;)

Offline Mint27

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
I actually came up with a solution for this today, one of which I am quite proud of.

Do squats on ice! lol I am serious! If you fall down, you get over the fear of falling, if you don't fall, then you're doing your squats and building muscle for other things! :) It is a win-win situation.

I saw a man today fall on his back and hit his head....he turned out to be okay but it is very important to learn how to fall the right way, there is always a risk of injury for an unstable fall. SO from now on, I am practicing my squat-falls. Similar to shoot-the-duck except I have absolutely no leg strength to keep the free leg up, i pull a muscle...  :blush:
19 y/o, Summer 2014

short-term Goals:
* perfect my stroking, look confident on the ice with power and speed
* reach Freestyle 1
* increase my flexibility in back and legs
* increase my overall body strength

long-term Goals:
* be flexible enough to do a Biellmann
* do double jumps & combo spins