You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Does watching Freestyle Skaters make you wish you could skate/compete like them?  (Read 4086 times)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
Ok everyone!!! This thread is a follow-up to jjann45's last thread about what motavated all Skaters here to Test and Compete.....Now I'm asking you all here (Fan's included), does watching Freestyle Skaters (at your Rink,before or after a Public Skate for example) make you wish you could Test,Compete...or even BE like them? I myself must say that...yes. When I watch you (meaning a complement to even Skaters here) Freestyle Skaters on Ice at my Rink. It surely DOES make me wish that I could skate las good as you all... Compete,and even BE like you!!! I even wish it could be me in that spot winning....and I mean EVERY WORD!!!! What about YOU ALL?!!

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Sometimes yes, when the skater has beautiful moves and gorgeous jumps and spins; no if they just skate...skate...skate...with no artistry or elegance and their program is jump...skate to next...jump....skate to next...spin, etc.

I went to an ice show last year and saw Yuka Sato skate, the whole time she skated beautifully and it wasn't until she was done when I realized she didn't do any jumps and only low-level spins! But it was a captivating routine because of the artistry!

Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
I agree, as an adult skater i don't expect to get the ultra impressive jumps and contortionist spins. But I love watching videos of skaters who really have a feel for their music and really perform to it

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Yep! I think it is really inspirational to watch elite skaters.

Offline Mainiac159

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 13
In my dreams I skate just like Dorothy Hamil.    :)

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
There are a lot of fantastic and elite skaters around NJ, and they are very inspiring (if not a little scary to skate next to). At minimum, it makes learning more exciting to be in that environment.

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
yeahh, there are a couple girls who just have the biggest doubles ever. they definitely motivate me.

Offline Qarol

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 9
    • edges and footwork
Whenever I watch ANY skater better than I, it makes me wish I could skate just like that...
If you're not falling, you're not working hard enough...

http://hydroblading.blogspot.com/

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
I have a specific set of programs that I keep in my computer for when I feel I'm lagging.

Each of them has a specific kicker.

Ilia Kulik's 1998 Olympic performance of Revolutions (SP) - Technique inspiration. Must keep working and shoot for that level of technical jump perfection! (And, will freely admit - want costume.)

Alexander Abt's 2002 Europeans performance of Rachimanoff 2 & 3 (LP) - THOSE EDGES. THOSE SOFT KNEES. Ugh, in HEAVEN.  :blush: Must work on trying to get better edges!

Alexei Yagudin's 2002 Olympic performance of Winter (SP) - Overall strength and conditioning and footwork inspiration. Shooting for being able to skip across the ice like that!

Evgeni Plushenko's 2002-2003 Grand Prix Final performance of St Petersburg 300 (LP), sometimes interchanged with his 2003 Russian Nationals performance of Tribute to Vaslav Nijinsky (LP) - General inspiration. I know I'll never be as charismatic as him (there aren't many skaters who are, let's be honest), but his story is so inspiring. He came from nothing, he had nothing, and now he has everything, because he was prepared to work hard and take risks. A true exponent of the phrase: "NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!"  :laugh:

I swear I pay attention to their skating! (Their looks are just a bonus!)  :blush:
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Karne, love your idea of inspirational vids.  I do a similar thing - watch vids of really good skaters doing the pattern dance/s I'm trying to learn, or would one day (maybe in my lifetime) like to learn.

I must also confess  :blush: to watching Plushenko's S** Bomb (not sure whether the name will be blanked by the board's autocatch) for performance inspiration.   I'm not a fan of his competitive skating, but that exhibition changed my mind about whether he could actually perform.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
I must also confess  :blush: to watching Plushenko's S** Bomb (not sure whether the name will be blanked by the board's autocatch) for performance inspiration.   I'm not a fan of his competitive skating, but that exhibition changed my mind about whether he could actually perform.

And to think he was only eighteen the first time he did that!  ;)

The guy has charisma in bucketloads. When he turns on the charm, you can't look away. And he's got such a wacky sense of humour. Have you seen his Assisay ex?
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
And to think he was only eighteen the first time he did that!  ;)

The guy has charisma in bucketloads. When he turns on the charm, you can't look away. And he's got such a wacky sense of humour. Have you seen his Assisay ex?

No - promptly did a youtube search but came up blank?

Offline karne

• On the Edge
No - promptly did a youtube search but came up blank?

It's sometimes spelt strangely. Assisai as well. 2004...

Found it!

Be warned, it's a little...wierd...