You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Eyes On Board Glasses  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Eyes On Board Glasses
« on: April 26, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
This is interesting: glasses that reduce motion sickness while driving.

https://eyesonboard.com/products/anti-motion-sickness-glasses?variant=27705201197161

Wonder if it would work on boats or (more importantly) for skaters doing spins.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Eyes On Board Glasses
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
I don't know. In reality, my BS detector was tingling when I looked at the page.

I do know that some people are REALLY affected by car sickness. Back in my college days, my mother arranged for me to drive a young woman to and from the university on the weekends when I returned home. The trips took about an hour, and I'd have to stop a couple of times along the way for her to jump out and "lose her cookies". Poor girl.
Bill Schneider

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Eyes On Board Glasses
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/could-these-glasses-cure-your-motion-sickness-180969722/

Note that Smithsonian is not endorsing the product, or stating that they work. But if you have money to burn...

For car sickness, you might also consider the other conceivable solutions included in that article. I'm sure you already know the conceivable solutions that work to some extent for some skaters. E.g., I was told you should just get used to being dizzy, and try not to pay the dizziness any attention, other than glancing at a level or high fixed object every rotation. Also, that spotting spins, like a ballerina, only works at slow spin speeds, and is likely to create whiplash at high speeds.