You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea Ice Fly for low-level skaters  (Read 20986 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Edea Ice Fly for low-level skaters
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:15:57 AM »
A lot of skaters in my rink are in Ice Flys. Most of them are in FS4 and up (doing up to doubles), but some are actually in lower levels (one is in FS 3 and another in FS 1). I've asked all of them about the break-in time, and all of them (including those in FS1) didn't complain about it!

The Edea dealer here actually wanted to sell me Ice Flys over the leather model (the Overture, I think?) because it is so light and he claims it is easy to break in, but it was (and is) way out of my budget.

I'm very interested in how Edea makes skates that are easy to break in for low-level skaters, but actually last long on those doing triples (a coach here knows one skater who was doing triples for 2 years on Ice Flys). Have you heard other comments from skaters at your rink regarding the Ice Fly?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Edea Ice Fly for low-level skaters
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:41:47 AM »
We have a number of lower level skaters in Ice Fly- I would say most are FS4, but some may be lower than that.  They say they are sturdy skates that last forever.    We also have one lady in them doing Double Axels- she says they break in and wear down much faster than regular skates, but it is worth it, because they are so comfortable.

So I think that is the answer. Those doing triples need to replace them more often, but the benefits of the boot outweigh the negative.

I know the lower level skaters in them, most of them won some sort of scholarship essay contest, so they were awarded the boots.  I want to say it was through ISI.

Offline Cryo

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »
I think Edeas are designed to have all of the flex on the tongue of the boot, they have specific tying instructions, and it is supposedly not really possible to overboot in them if their lacing technique is used (info is on their website). I have never seen a pair in person, just what I've read on Edea's Site and skatesus.com

I wonder if the easy break in people are tying them as recommended and those who find them stiff are tying them really tight.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
Edea's arent' that popular at my rink, I only know of 4-5 girl's who have them, and they're doing double axels, and one's an ice dancer. They seem to last a long time. My sharpener says that they're very sturdy and exceptionally comfortable. All the girl's that have them at my rink, say that they love them. They don't have leather soles, hence no waterproofing, and they don't seem to get scrapes as easily. They are extremely light, which to me, would be the largest benefit. The lowest level skater I've seen with Edea's was Junior MITF, and at least doubles for freestyle level.

The only problem I've heard about with these boots, was that one girl accidentally hit her toepick into her heal and it made a sizeable dent. But she continued to skate on these same boots for 6 more months when she outrgrew them, and had no problems. :)
She didn't have to break them in that much, the only problem with breaking them in had to do with her new Paramount blades.
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
I have Concertos. I like my Concertos. I made a huge jump from basically Jackson pond skates (maybe Mystique or something, had a plastic sole and the old style MKIV blade) to my Concertos. Supposedly my Concertos are extra stiff from the factory (seller told me by 30%,) too, but the previous owner/seller is a Junior National level skater, he skated in them for 3 months doing triples, so I don't know their total stiffness now really. He said if they were too stiff, he'd send me a normal stiffness pair. His reason for selling was because he switched to size 300.

That said, they fit fine for me. I'm only on waltz jumps, but I'm a 195lb guy and need basically heavier boots anyway. I wore those old Jacksons down from brand new, 4 months of skating I ripped the sole off the leather (and then skated another 8 months or so via repairing it myself with screws at home.) So it might be a different situation if you're a relatively light girl in them. As far as their stiffness, they don't feel overly stiff to me at all, and I'm even lacing to the top with them. They feel secure, but not stiff. And again, mine are supposedly stiffer than they are normally. I have no "overbooting" issues coming from them at all. I just leave the top hooks a bit loose so I can bend my knees enough, and I'm fine in them.

They run pretty true to size, I think. I have 290s, and my feet measured 280 and 285 on a ruler (though not diagonally.) I might have bought 285s brand new if I had the cash, but the seller sold these for 160 on ebay, and I tried them on not on the ice and they seemed fine, but on ice it wasn't as tight as I like, though. But, 160 vs $700... The looseness isn't like, a whole size difference, ie, size 9 to 10 or something, but if I get to a level where the tiny tiny bit of difference really matters, I might switch to 285s and maybe get Ice Flys. But at my level it's basically just nitpicking. And I could try on a 285 and think it's too tight, who knows. As far as fit, they have a fairly narrow heel, and quite wide toe box. For me on my right skate, I have some pain on the side of my heel from it being too tight, so I'm gonna see about getting it heated eventually. For now I just tie a bit looser. Then again, I've only skated in them for two weeks, so this all might just be standard new skate break in kinda stuff, I remember similar type things with the Jacksons I had, just the Jacksons were legitimately too small, so maybe I'm just used to skating in small skates? Who knows. Maybe it's just me thinking "They're the wrong size because your toes don't hurt anymore!"

Lastly, as far as weight, I can't speak for the Ice Flys, but my Concertos are comparable to my PVC soled Jacksons in weight. The Concertos maybe weigh a tiny bit more even. Ice Flys will weigh less, but I think because the Concerto is a more "traditional" boot that makes it weigh more, but still less than equivalent skates of other brands.

So if you like the Ice Flys and get them, they probably won't be too stiff, I think. My Concertos feel overall great for me, and I'm at a lower level than you are, but there is a weight difference, too.

Any questions about the Concertos, just ask. Supposedly the Concertos and Ice Flys are as stiff as eachother, just different boot materials.

Offline nataxa

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
I've bought Ice Fly for myself!!! I took them with Coronation Ace blades.

I'm way too low level skater for these boots but I've decided to take them anyway.
Currently I have Jackson Competitor skates with Aspire blades.
I'm jumping only Waltz, Salchow and Toe loop jumps.

The reason of changing skates was that my Jacksons are too wide for me after a year of skating.
Salesperson was very surprised to hear that I have Jacksons skates regular width. He said that I have very narrow feet and Jacksons ARE too wide for me (so it was not only MY thought in desire to have new boots :) )
According to Edea size chart I should go with size 260. But Concerto boots 260 was like old very comfortable slippers for me.. Not good for new boots!

I've tried Ice Fly size 255 (they didn't have Concerto in this size in PRO shop).
And WOW... it's soooooo big difference!
Personally I do not like Concerto, especially comparing with Ice Fly. I mean these are very comfortable and good boots but a leather quality is bad. New boots from a box already had some scratches and a glue emerged in some places...
As for Ice Fly - much better quality for not so much more money. Actually in one PRO shop in my area Concerto costs 599, and in another Pro Shop Ice Fly costs 649.
So I've took ICE FLY!!!
I should get them in a couple of days after blades will be mounted. And I hope to try them this weekend.
Wish me luck!  :WS:

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
nataxa, I'm thinking of getting Ice Flys after I wear out my Jackson Freestyles, but they are too expensive for me so I better be sure it's worth it! Please let me know your experience with the Ice Flys. I hope you have no trouble breaking it in. :)

Offline nataxa

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
Yes, they are so expensive :( I made a birthday gift for myself for the last two years :)

Actually, the point of buying to expensive boots was that I was changed my skates once a year. I would like to have stiff ones this time with a hope they will last longer.

I'll keep you informed how good or bad they are :)

Offline nataxa

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
Ok, it's time to report :)
What could I say? So far so good!

Strangely I didn't have break in period with my new boots. I don't know what's wrong with me, it might be that I'm choosing wrong boots at all but both for Jacksons and Edea I didn't have a problem from the beginning.
Well, ok, there WAS a tiny problem with left Edea boot - I felt some pressure in a seam area. Lately I've found out that when I'm putting my foot in the boot it creates a little roll from lining and that's why I rubbed my foot in this place. As long as I spreading out lining while slipping my foot inside - everything is ok.
Apart this - no problem with new boots and new blades. It get a little time to used to new blades and now I KNOW HOW TO SPIN!!!! That's a HUUUGE progress for me. I think I can spin mostly because of new blades but new boots play a big part it it too because they are narrower then Jacksons.

Summary - I LOVE my new boots. Very comfortable, very pretty (yes, they should be pretty, because this is my hobby and I want everything be pretty)  :-*
I cannot say anything about weight of the boots, didn't noticed a difference, although spirals seem to be easier to do, but it could be just my muscles getting stronger :)

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:22:37 AM »
nataxa! Thanks for reporting! :D Glad you like your Ice Flys!