You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Balance (no, not that kind)  (Read 3142 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Balance (no, not that kind)
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
I'm thinking about entering an upcoming Basic Skills competition in the spring.  I did an ISI Alpha competition last year and really enjoyed it, and saw how much it pushed me to improve my skating.  Here, I'd be entering at Adult 3, since I can do all of those skills reasonably comfortably.  OK, except backward one foot glides, but thankfully they aren't included in this year's subset of required elements.  But if I do that, I'll be spending some of my lesson time on developing a program and working on skills I already know how to do (though of course they could use improvement), rather than working on skills that I'm still developing that desperately need help.  I'm sure this is a common issue, though I don't think I've seen it discussed here.  How do I strike a balance between improving existing skills, developing a program using those skills, and learning new skills?

(In case it affects responses, I'm currently doing one lesson a week and one or two practice sessions.  I might be able to ramp that up next semester.)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Balance (no, not that kind)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »
I think it's good to use lesson time to work on quality instead of new skills.  You can learn how you are supposed to skate from instructions or observation; lessons are to tell you the difference  between what you are supposed to do and what you are actually doing. 

But really, it's a personal choice.

Online Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
 Learning a program will take some time away from learning new skills, but I view the process of learning a program/practicing it/performing it to be a new set of skills, too.  Doing a skill in isolation is totally different from doing that skill within a program.  I find the process of learning/practicing a program to be very enjoyable, so it's worth it to me to have slower progress on new skills.  Plus, a program is a great challenge.  When you first learn it, you won't be able to do all the skills or to finish them on time with your music, and it's great to finally get to the point where you end on time, all skills completed, and you realize how much progress you've made since you started learning it.

Plus I enjoy choosing music and costume.  Good luck with your decision!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
I think you can learn a lot from putting the skills into a program because instead of doing them in isolation you get used to doing them with different entrances / exits.

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »
In order to progress in your skating--whether it's learning new skills or learning how to incorporate your current skills into a program and improve on them--you are probably going to have to start skating more than twice a week.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
You can learn how you are supposed to skate from instructions or observation; lessons are to tell you the difference  between what you are supposed to do and what you are actually doing. 

Good point, and with some of these skills, what I really need is just more practice time, not instruction.  It's about confidence more than technique.

In order to progress in your skating--whether it's learning new skills or learning how to incorporate your current skills into a program and improve on them--you are probably going to have to start skating more than twice a week.

Next semester I've managed to arrange my schedule so that I could potentially skate 5 days a week (assuming the rink schedule stays about the same).  I doubt I'll manage that much, but I'm hoping for 3 or 4 most weeks.  Maybe weekends, too, but the public sessions are really crowded and the freestyle sessions are scary.

I think in some ways I feel like I should wait until I'm "better" to do another competition, but then again, just how much better do I think I'd have to get?  I don't really care about it for the sake of the actual competition, but for the experience of putting the program together and performing it, so why not now?

Oh geez… I think I just talked myself into doing a competition.   :o

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »

Not necessarily. I only skate twice a week (dang work schedule, crappy lungs, and F/S ice schedules) and I am progressing. Not as fast as I'd like, but I am learning and getting better/stronger. And if an overweight 52 year old with crappy lungs can make progress skating twice a week, just about anybody else can.

I wish I could skate on an every-other-day basis, but I like the roof over my head, so I go to work instead. I need a very wealthy relative to die and leave me enough to be independently wealthy.  88)
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
Even if you're limited by available rink time, there's ways to usefully practice at home every day.  e.g. use the time at home doing run-throughs on foot,  working through the musicality, or at least even just doing visualisations has to help cement things, so you can spend the ice time doing only stuff that absolutely needs the ice.   Also, of course, daily strength and flexibility training has to be useful too.

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »

I think in some ways I feel like I should wait until I'm "better" to do another competition, but then again, just how much better do I think I'd have to get?  I don't really care about it for the sake of the actual competition, but for the experience of putting the program together and performing it, so why not now?

Oh geez… I think I just talked myself into doing a competition.   :o

I never wanted to compete, but my husband told me I should do it "because it will make you a better skater."  He was right!  Good for you for realizing that yourself, and good luck with the new schedule! :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
I agree you can progress even skating twice a week.  It's good to have a plan, i.e. warmup routine and skills you want to work on.  I find running through skills without a stop can also help.  There's a difference running through each skill from a stand still and also the endurance factor.  Much in the way you will need to with a program.  You need connecting steps, etc.

It's not just how often you skate but how you spend your time on the ice too.

Plus - there's whole "positivity" aspect....  ;)

If you want to compete, compete.  You will get value out of it.

Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle