You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI changes?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
ISI changes?
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
Just got my ISI magazine, and noticed a couple of changes.  First, the magazine is going to be going online only after the next issue (not a big deal, I think, and I'm sure it'll save them money).  Second, and a bigger change (in my mind, at least) is that apparently the Adult Championships in 2016 are going to be held simultaneously with the Holiday Challenge, in San Jose (Nov 20-22).  Does anyone have any other info about this?  Seems like if you hold two events in the same place at the same time it's really just one big event.  I'm not likely to be attending either event so I don't really have a direct interest; I'm just curious about the reason for the change.  Does the Holiday Challenge usually have a lot of adult participation?

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: ISI changes?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 07:59:02 PM »
People have speculated a couple of things.......first is that the Holiday Challenge has traditionally been a smaller competition so it made sense financially to combine it with another. Second, that it's getting harder to find rinks to bid on hosting the competitions so finding a facility that has four sheets of ice willing to host was a bonus and that's why they combined. But, who really knows.

oh, and the dates in the magazine were incorrect - it's actually Nov 18-20. I know a lot of people are grousing at the timing - the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »
oh, and the dates in the magazine were incorrect - it's actually Nov 18-20. I know a lot of people are grousing at the timing - the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.

I wonder that that will do to attendance.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
It may be the only time they can get the ice. Maybe hockey ice is in such demand that it's only the week before Thanksgiving that it's available.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/