You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: USFS FreeSkate 1-6 versus competitive track?  (Read 10505 times)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Re: USFS FreeSkate 1-6 versus competitive track?
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 01:53:33 PM »
It is true it is an endurance test.  A lot of skaters can "Do" a double lutz in isolation but put it in the program with music and nerves and the pressure of getting the Senior test - it is hard.

Being "stuck" in Senior is an interesting point - you have no where else to go and yet you are not competitive against the Gracie Golds, etc. of the world. 

But you have finished your tests!
Get a reskate on the lutz if they cant do it in program.
I dont agree with Nick, I think there are a fair number of skaters that can do a double lutz.
It is a longer program but it isnt as hard as a competive program at most levels.
I agree with being stuck at SR . One reason my daughter isnt moving up this year . :angel:

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 03:13:45 PM »
Get a reskate on the lutz if they cant do it in program.
I dont agree with Nick, I think there are a fair number of skaters that can do a double lutz.
It is a longer program but it isnt as hard as a competive program at most levels.
I agree with being stuck at SR . One reason my daughter isnt moving up this year . :angel:

They can get a re-skate on the double lutz if they miss it in the program IF there are no more than two elements that need to be re-skated for any reason and IF they judges think the test will pass if the elements are clean).  Then they "just" have to get it in isolation - still not an easy task for a lot of skaters but it is do-able.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 06:10:18 PM »
They can get a re-skate on the double lutz if they miss it in the program IF there are no more than two elements that need to be re-skated for any reason and IF they judges think the test will pass if the elements are clean).  Then they "just" have to get it in isolation - still not an easy task for a lot of skaters but it is do-able.

My point was I am surprised that only 1 percent of kids who start in LTS  go on to pass SR.  Double lutz  isn't hard  for skaters who have all their doubles, its not a double axle or a triple.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
What is so odd about that is SR test only has double lutz. I dont understand why even if you arent competive you dont finish your tests. Its not hard.

I've seen a lot of skaters struggle to pass the MIF component of the test structure, more so than the FS tests.  I've even seen skaters struggle to pass their Junior MIF who could probably easily pass the Senior FS test if the moves weren't a requirement.   Usually they get stuck on one skill (like the loops, or choctaws) and may even be able to perform them fine day to day, but it just doesn't happen for them in a test session.

Most of the time competitive skaters do choose to try to "finish out" their tests towards the end of HS, even if aiming for senior nationals is not in their future.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
I've seen a lot of skaters struggle to pass the MIF component of the test structure, more so than the FS tests.  I've even seen skaters struggle to pass their Junior MIF who could probably easily pass the Senior FS test if the moves weren't a requirement.   Usually they get stuck on one skill (like the loops, or choctaws) and may even be able to perform them fine day to day, but it just doesn't happen for them in a test session.

Most of the time competitive skaters do choose to try to "finish out" their tests towards the end of HS, even if aiming for senior nationals is not in their future.

This is so true - those MITF are hard and that Jr test has gotten much harder I think!

It is nice when they finish up their tests - then you don't have a lot of that "if only" feeling - I have seen a few quit, go to college, etc. and then finish up but that is much harder I think.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »
I saw this was bumped!  As of now we are using freeskate classes for practice time. She almost has enough revolutions on her camel and sit spins and all of her single jumps minus a correct loop (although she can do it from a waltz go figure) and an axel. I don't think she will be ready for pre-pre until fall at least (she just turned 6 in Oct). Probably will skate low beginner? I feel like I live at the rink already...