You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: sorry i can't...i have skating (;  (Read 1739 times)

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
sorry i can't...i have skating (;
« on: June 26, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
you guys know what i'm talking about. the hundreds of times you've had to miss things because of skating practice, tests, or competition. i thought this would be a good place for everyone to share their dilemmas of missing skating or a skating-related event vs. something else.

so my aunt and uncle are coming to visit this weekend, and my aunt wants to spend the day with me on friday because the rest of my family will be working. but i have to leave for skating at 1:15. she doesn't have any kids, so whenever i see her she always spoils me. but at the same time, i hate to miss skating! i don't have a test or competition coming up, but still. what would you guys do?

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: sorry i can't...i have skating (;
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »
Invite her to the rink with you. I took my mother in law with me to my lesson yesterday.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:17:55 PM »
Yeah take her to the rink with you...I'm the same I hate missing skating practise.

The amount of times i've cancelled things for skating - meeting friends I hardly get to see, family days out, camping trips etc. I even pulled out of a stageschool experience this year so I could go to my rinks skate camp instead :P
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
I'd invite her to the rink with you.  If you don't have anything coming up soon (test competition) and you don't see her much, I might cut skating short for the visit.

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
yeah she's staying for the whole weekend, but i think i'm going to ask her if she'd come to the rink with me. i don't think she has ever seen me skate, anyway, so i guess it'll be good!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »
Not sure how long your sessions are, but I'd suggest you don't make her sit the whole 2 hours!  She'd probably be interested to watch for half an hour or 45 minutes, especially if you can take some time to explain and demonstrate the basics of skating to her ("skate blades have 2 edges and this is how they work" kind of thing - only if she knows nothing about skating).

Can you invite her and cut the session short so she doesn't get bored?

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »
yeah i'm only skating for 45 minutes, so it shouldn't be too painful

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
UGH. MY MOM JUST EMAILED MY COACH (WITHOUT MY CONSENT) AND TOLD HER THAT I CAN'T GO TO THE RINK ON FRIDAY. I DON'T CARE ABOUT (blocked)ING TRAFFIC, AND MY AUNT COULD HAVE CAME TO THE RINK WITH ME. MY MOM DOESN'T UNDERSTAND MY LOVE OF SKATING. i feel like i don't improve because my mom doesn't support my skating as much as i'm passionate about it. i'm so mad right now.