You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate recommendation for student  (Read 4565 times)

Offline ferelu

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 5
Skate recommendation for student
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »
Hi everybody! I'm trying to understand all the different types of skates out there. What do you recommend for a light weight 8 year old girl doing flips and lutz and back camels, backward 3 turns, brackets. I want to make sure there is appropriate ankle support but I am also afraid of getting a skate that is too stiff for her level. Any recommendations? What do you currently use?

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Skate recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
Have you inquired with her coach? Or your local pro shop? This would be a lot better than asking us. Every skater different.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Skate recommendation for student
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
Dd wore the Jackson skates skates with no issues, but when she 7-8 we switched to blue star riedells with the standard blade - the only reason was we switched to a skate shop that just deals with skates and these were discontinued so at a heavy discount.  Then she went to the newish Riedell LS (again switched skate shops because I wanted to get these skates and they were mis-marked in price so they honored the price.  These went through learning her axel with no issues aside from being chewed up and LOTS of nicks in the blade from the jump. 

It wasn't until dd became pre-pre that I went with skates that made my bank account bleed.  At this level they do make a difference.  She is working though doubles and needs that extra stiffness.  At over $200 the blade was also costly. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
You might want to proofread your post - there is no "Riedell Blue Star" skate.  Maybe you meant "Blue Ribbon?"  That's the equivalent of the Riedell 121 RS, which is a rec skate.  Since the skater is already landing flips, lutzes and doing back camels, she's beyond the usage for that model.  

Riedell LS is a strange thing - it used to be a boot model, then they used it to group their skates into a "Learning Series."  Those were skates for low-level freestyle skaters.  Now, only the 910 LS still has the suffix, but they have two "Light Series" boots (LS 2010 and LS 1310) with the "LS" prefix.  It's very confusing, lol.  Any of the current Reidells with LS would be too stiff for this skater - she'd never break in the boot.

Have you inquired with her coach? Or your local pro shop? This would be a lot better than asking us. Every skater different.

The OP is the coach, lol.  I pester the pro shops when I visit because I learn something new every single time.  Sometimes, the information conflicts with other things I've learned/been told, so you have to get input from multiple sources and ferret out the correct information.

I have a petite 9-yo student with a variety of spins, including a wonky catchfoot and a very-high back sit spin.  She's landed a loop but hasn't landed a flip or lutz yet.  (Close but she doesn't check properly through the jump, so it's not the skate's fault.  ;) )  Her spins improved drastically when she moved from the 121 RS to the 133 RS.  I think the stock Quest Onyx blade was the main reason; even her mom said that she loved the blade.

In the Jackson line, I'd suggest the Classique model because she's already landing the singles and will need a more durable boot than the Artiste.  The blade's comparable imo, but our skate fitter said that she thinks the Artiste's Mark IV blade is slightly better than the Classique's Mirage.  I compared them and they look the same to me, but there is a price difference between the two blades.  Perhaps the Mark IV's being cleared out of inventory to make way for a less-expensive alternative?  *shrugs*

What brand/model of skates is she wearing now?  I usually suggest staying with the same brand if there are no complaints or issues.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
In the Jackson line, I'd suggest the Classique model because she's already landing the singles and will need a more durable boot than the Artiste.

Just checked out the Jackson website.  The Classique in misses sizes is rated 40 for stiffness, same as Freestyle.  Both boots come with the Mirage blade attached.  It seems the major differences between Classique and Freestyle are that the Freestyle has a leather sole and is heat moldable, and is probably more expensive?  The new Elle boot has a stiffness rating of 30 in misses sizes, and like the Freestyle comes with the Mirage blade and is heat moldable.

All 3 styles have only the 2 width fittings (B, C).

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
The new Elle boot has a stiffness rating of 30 in misses sizes, and like the Freestyle comes with the Mirage blade and is heat moldable.

And it has a leather sole.. which makes having a choice of blade an option :)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:58:16 AM »
Just checked out the Jackson website.  The Classique in misses sizes is rated 40 for stiffness, same as Freestyle.  Both boots come with the Mirage blade attached.  It seems the major differences between Classique and Freestyle are that the Freestyle has a leather sole and is heat moldable, and is probably more expensive?  The new Elle boot has a stiffness rating of 30 in misses sizes, and like the Freestyle comes with the Mirage blade and is heat moldable.

All 3 styles have only the 2 width fittings (B, C).

The Freestyle boot comes in a "A" width also. My daughter has 1 yr old Freestyle boots and has them in an "A" width. Last I looked, the Freestyle came in 3 width sizes. I certainly hope Jackson didn't drop the A width from their Freestyle boot! My daughter has done very well in these boots. The plan is to replace her boots in November(unless her coach changes her mind and thinks dd's boots are still fine then). We want to keep her in Freestyle boots. We may have to re-visit that idea if Freestyles do not come in an A width any more! :(

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
The Freestyle boot comes in a "A" width also. My daughter has 1 yr old Freestyle boots and has them in an "A" width. Last I looked, the Freestyle came in 3 width sizes. I certainly hope Jackson didn't drop the A width from their Freestyle boot!

Oops thanks isakswings you are absolutely right.  Freestyle does indeed come A, B, C - and Elle comes B, C, D (just checked again). Classique comes B, C only.

Sorry!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »
Elle comes B, C, D (just checked again)

D is only in Women's, not Misses (kids)...

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
D is only in Women's, not Misses (kids)...

Yep sarahspins you're right.  It looks like I've been horribly confused when I checked following isakswing's question.

When I rechecked the A width in Freestyle, I assumed I made a mistake (happens often enough!  :blush:)  But then I went on to check the Elle, and I did wonder about seeing the D, as Elle would probably be the correct strength for my DD but they only came B & C (she could really use a D)!!  I remember actually saying to myself when I saw the D, "I'm sure these only came in B & C?  Oh well I must have made a mistake here too."

It looks like my original post about Jackson kids sizing was actually 100% correct.  Anyway here are the links for the different style size ranges, which I should have put in my original post as it would have saved lots of confusion!!

Kids sizes - http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=nTpuM1a2b3c4d5e1a2b3c4d5ezOcbmHqMgVzu5Og1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Freestyle kids = B & C only (sorry isakswings.  But the ladies' sizes start at 4 so maybe she'll be up to a 4 by the time she needs her next pair?)
Elle kids = B & C only
Classique kids = B & C only

Ladies sizes - http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=05ZAYzKi2x7JEyXCG/17Hw1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Freestyle ladies = A, B and C (no D)
Elle ladies = B, C & D (no A)
Classique ladies = B & C only

Sorry all!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »
Ladies sizes start at 3.5 though... so for some people this may not be a huge deal.  I'd also wonder if wider widths weren't available as special order (with an extra fee).  I know for some of the other boots they are - but they're not listed as stock.

Offline aussieskater

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 06:22:29 PM »
Ladies sizes start at 3.5 though

Not according to their website (I just checked)?  Misses go to 3.5, Ladies start at 4?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
You're right, sorry about that... I was thinking that misses went up to 3.5 and just said it wrong when I said ladies started at 3.5.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
Yep sarahspins you're right.  It looks like I've been horribly confused when I checked following isakswing's question.

When I rechecked the A width in Freestyle, I assumed I made a mistake (happens often enough!  :blush:)  But then I went on to check the Elle, and I did wonder about seeing the D, as Elle would probably be the correct strength for my DD but they only came B & C (she could really use a D)!!  I remember actually saying to myself when I saw the D, "I'm sure these only came in B & C?  Oh well I must have made a mistake here too."

It looks like my original post about Jackson kids sizing was actually 100% correct.  Anyway here are the links for the different style size ranges, which I should have put in my original post as it would have saved lots of confusion!!

Kids sizes - http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=nTpuM1a2b3c4d5e1a2b3c4d5ezOcbmHqMgVzu5Og1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Freestyle kids = B & C only (sorry isakswings.  But the ladies' sizes start at 4 so maybe she'll be up to a 4 by the time she needs her next pair?)
Elle kids = B & C only
Classique kids = B & C only

Ladies sizes - http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?category=05ZAYzKi2x7JEyXCG/17Hw1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Freestyle ladies = A, B and C (no D)
Elle ladies = B, C & D (no A)
Classique ladies = B & C only

Sorry all!

No need to be sorry! She is in a ladies 6 skate(size 7 street shoe), so that's why we were able to get an A width. Thank goodness she could get it in that size. Sorry for me confusing you!