You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: My daughter's showcase dress  (Read 2786 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
My daughter's showcase dress
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
It is still a work in progress, but it is coming along! We're still making final design changes(ie: trim color, no trim or trim) but the dress is mostly done. I need to attach the fringe, but I am not 100% sure if I want to recut new fringe or not. oh and the fringe DOES go to the end of the skirt. LOL! In this pic it doesn't but it does now.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: My daughter's showcase dress
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »
it's beautiful - I love the colors!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »
Beautiful!  I'm going to ask a stupid question, she's skating to Pocahontas right? :)  :blush:

Offline isakswings

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
Beautiful!  I'm going to ask a stupid question, she's skating to Pocahontas right? :)  :blush:

Yes. :) Colors of the Wind. Originally, we were going to go with a more flowy dress. I actually would have liked a watercolor type dress or a bright dress instead of a native style dress, but dd wanted a dress like this instead. So my adventure began! lol.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »
Yes. :) Colors of the Wind. Originally, we were going to go with a more flowy dress. I actually would have liked a watercolor type dress or a bright dress instead of a native style dress, but dd wanted a dress like this instead. So my adventure began! lol.

It's like Michelle Kwan's! :)  I'm 23 and I would wear that for colors of the wind lol. :)

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
Yes, in fact, there is another girl on you tube who is skating to Colors of the Wind who has a similar dress! My daughter LOVES the dress and ran into the room to show me. So, I ended up trying to make one similar. :)

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
looks awesome so far! want to adopt me and make me skating dresses?! (too bad i'm an adult... lol)

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
Nice job. It will look great on her!

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »

My dd did this with the flowy dress  :) but it was more an interpretation of the song rather than the character (both the music cut and the dress).  I think it can work nicely either way.  Dd's doing the same with the Riverbend song now since Colors worked so well for her.  Yes, I know, more Disney, but I think the songs are actually quite beautiful and work well for skating.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »
My dd did this with the flowy dress  :) but it was more an interpretation of the song rather than the character (both the music cut and the dress).  I think it can work nicely either way.  Dd's doing the same with the Riverbend song now since Colors worked so well for her.  Yes, I know, more Disney, but I think the songs are actually quite beautiful and work well for skating.

I think shortly after my daughter decided she would skate to this song, I found your daughter's program online. If her dress is the dress I am thinking of, it is lovely! This is the dress we were originally thinking of going with. I still think it would work, but since my daughter is making her program a showcase(she is using a ribbon as a prop), I thought a character dress would be a better choice. I still LOVE this dress tho!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-MADE-FIT-ICE-SKATING-BATON-TWIRLING-DRESS-/230657745789?pt=US_Youth_Athletic_Apparel&hash=item35b445e37d#ht_500wt_1287

I agree, these songs are beautiful!!

Offline isakswings

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
looks awesome so far! want to adopt me and make me skating dresses?! (too bad i'm an adult... lol)

Thank you! Adults can be fun to sew for too! :) Dd isn't very small any more. :( she is 5+ ft tall and can wear some adult sized clothing and wears a size 7 shoe! Granted, she wears a size 0 pant and XS womens tops(when they fit!), but she certainly isn't a little girl any more. *sniff* But yes, adopting an adult would be hard. HA!! lol I am still learning. I'll probably get comfortable sewing dresses right when dd decides to stop skating! :)