You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Any suggestions what music would mix well with this?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
Any suggestions what music would mix well with this?
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »

My daughter is soon to be getting a 3 minute program. She has been looking for music - and has decided she rather likes the David Garrett version of summertime  ( )

She is worried about doing a whole 3 minute program to music which is quite slow so is looking for something to mix with it.

Does it sound like something which would work? I've seen some completely weird music changes in programs before but guess if there was something which fitted we could get it cut.

Does anybody have any idea's what would go well? Maybe something faster that could change to summertime or summertime followed by something faster?

Her previous music has always been so much faster that this may well be too large a contrast for her!

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Any suggestions what music would mix well with this?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »
Perhaps something else from "Porgy and Bess", or just something else by Gershwin?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:28:48 PM »

Does it sound like something which would work? I've seen some completely weird music changes in programs before but guess if there was something which fitted we could get it cut.

Here's something funny to read on that very topic (weird music changes). The author is Jeremy Abbot's mother.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
My daughter is soon to be getting a 3 minute program. She has been looking for music - and has decided she rather likes the David Garrett version of summertime  ( )

She is worried about doing a whole 3 minute program to music which is quite slow so is looking for something to mix with it.

Does anybody have any idea's what would go well? Maybe something faster that could change to summertime or summertime followed by something faster?

Her previous music has always been so much faster that this may well be too large a contrast for her!

She gets to pick her music (skaters and parents fainting on floor) - we get it handed to us by the choreographer and told to skate to it ...  :)

Anyways, what level is your daughter skating, if you don't mind my asking? The problem with Summertime is that it is a "memory"  piece for people due to recent international use, so you have to be careful with it.  I just watched a skater using it who did use a different version and cut something else in, and it jarred ... I was so familiar with the music that it startled me if you know what I mean ...

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
I'll ask her to listen to more Gershwin .

Sk8tmum - its the bane of my life that her coach insists that she hands in music choices - last time we found about 21 tracks before the coach found something she liked or something appropriate that she should skate too! I would far rather they chose something.

Have just googled and realise Joannie Rochette did a program to summertime - hadn't even thought of that. (Reckon my daughter probably knew that - the little minx).

I think the plan is that she does tests for the next 6 months and doesn't worry about competitions but her hope is to be ready for novice level before next summer. I'm not even sure how long a short and a long program are - I just find the tracks - hand them to the coach - let her decide and then send them for cutting as instructed.  (She does solo dance at novice level and her moves in fields test coming up is I think junior level although I get totally muddled with it all....)

I personally hate weird music changes - I've played musical instruments all my life and love music but some ice skating music combinations seem counter-intuitive to me. (And daughter's solo dance idea for next year is something which changes from swing music to cha cha cha and the words/theme don't seem to match to me - but - her coach is carefully listening and I'm hoping will come up with something less jarring). as much as possible).

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
Is there something by the same artist, so it is a similar style, that is a faster pace?

That is what I did, but opposite. I am skating to Maksim's Wonderland, which is hella fast, so I found a piece by him called Lee Loos that is slower, but a similar style...Just an idea :)