You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where does one even start?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline so_jesslovescats

• Pinkie Pie on skates
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 8
Where does one even start?
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »
I have no idea where to even start with off season training and seeing as it's fast approaching I need tips. I plan on starting to run again (I was running 5K but stopped so time to restart) for Cardio, I also do zumba (I hate it to be honest but will go) I have at least 20-30 pounds I need to lose. I have a wobble board (balance board) and plan on getting a mini trampoline I also have theraband I do with my feet. Balance(I have a neuro disorder that makes my balance odd)  and development of upper body (abs) are important as well as keeping my leg muscles I gained this season. Flexibility is also something I lack but I'm not as concerned about it as I am muscles right now because I use them to hold me more than balance.
Where the heck do I even start?
Special Olympics figure skater
Lover of skating,the color pink and cats

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Where does one even start?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
Is there no summer ice where you live?  When I was young, I had to change rinks for the summer, but it was do-able.  Now it seems more rinks are year-round. Have you asked your coach this question?  S/he will certainly have great advice for you.

I think I might look into an adult ballet class, if there are any available?  What about yoga?  I always loved yoga, and it has the added benefit of meditation, which can help with the mental part of skating (especially, but not limited to competitions!).  What about some form of martial arts, like kungfu or karate?  I know Elvis Stojko (sp??) practiced martial arts in his olympic days, and it showed (in a good way) in his skating.

I also always find my workouts are more effective when I'm working with a personal trainer.  At most gyms you can do this.  They'll try to push having the trainer with you all the time, but I used them like a skating coach- one training session a week, then I'd work on my own.  You can see what your budget allows for.   They could direct you to exercises that would address your personal goals and needs.  And perhaps free you from the hated Zumba!

There are also some skating related fitness videos- I've been using Sk8strong and like it.  The owner is on these forums,and is very responsive and helpful, so if you have any questions about her products, she's absolutely there for you.

Others will probably have some even more interesting ideas!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
Re: Where does one even start?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
If you have access to somewhere flat to skate on you could get some pic skates/ snow white skates/ "off ice skating" brand skates. They are all types of rockered wheeled off ice skates so you should be able to do many figure skating elements on them. I have some pic skates but I don't get to use them much as I don't have anywhere flat enough to use them on regularly. :( Even just going skating in ordinary inlines would help keep up some of your leg strength.