You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Warmth of rink and weather?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 16
Warmth of rink and weather?
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Today it's going to be 68 degrees, does that mean my rink will feel warmer, or no?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Warmth of rink and weather?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »
Our rink is colder in the morning than afternoon, but outside temps have little to do with it, we are the first in in the mornings and it has been all locked up all night.  Like walking into a fridge.  In the afternoon doors open and close all morning and people are breathing heating the place up.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
It depends on the rink.  I would say most of the ones I've been in have been slightly warmer in the summer, but some are still VERY cold (they are miserable in the winter).

I skate at a mall rink, and it is MUCH warmer in the summer- often hot.  However, it sometimes gets foggy on warm mornings, which makes the skating conditions difficult.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
Our rink's temperature seems to be related to the rate of change of the outside temperature.  I think the old HVAC system can't keep up with the changes. 

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
We will see shortly, I'm leaving for the rink soon :)

Offline Finallyskating

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »
Ok...the verdict is, it was a little bit warmer, but with all my pracrice jumps,I had to take my jacket off, and for the first time was only wearing a 3/4 sleeve shirt, and still warm...

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
I find that most of the rinks are warmer in the summer and certainly my body feels looser in the summer!

My favorite time to skate is right about now - when the days are getting longer and the outside temperature is getting a little warmer - and the kids aren't out of school yet... love it!

I also skate at a mall and notice that the ice is very different in the winter and on the cold days than in the summer.  I don't know what the explanation is except that there are skylights in the food court and on the warmer, sunnier days there is a lot more sun coming onto the ice - the texture is certainly different depending on the weather conditions outside.

Offline nyc.kcs

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
It varies on each rink. I suggest you wear thin layers so you can take off some if it's warm or keep them on if it's cold.  :)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »
My rink is often colder this time of year than any other, because they turn off the heat and it still gets into the 20's and 30's at night. It's been an unusually warm winter, though, and at public 2 nights ago I got so warm skating I actually took off my gloves. My jacket usually comes off at some point unless I'm only doing moves, but I almost never want to take off my gloves.

The roof in our rink gets condensation on it during warmer rainy days, and the condensation drips down and forms bumps on the ice. Sometimes we spend 10 minutes of a freestyle session just trying to scrape off the bumps so we don't wipe out.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:21 PM »
A couple of rinks I've skated in are warmer than the others around the New Jersey-Philadelphia area. At the rink I use most often, I can wear just a T-shirt on top when it's warm outside and still feel hot. When the sun starts going down and the temperature outside drops, I have to bundle up. That's how much the weather affects that rink. Then again, I'm probably the odd-ball skater who doesn't like to be cold.

Another rink I skate in is always so cold that the tops of my ears get a burning-cold feeling any time of the year.