You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

On the Ice > The Pro Shop

Skate tongue? Leather options? Let's discuss boots while I ponder order options

(1/35) > >>

AlbaNY:
Maybe I can get some discussion going?  Both for my questions about a boot order and for fun in general too regarding colour and fancy options you might select.

First of all:  I'd love any input on skate tongues you all can come up with, please!  I'm curious about leather lined foam and full lambswool.
If anyone has or can find photos of these different types with some wear or has any experience I'd love more information.  I'm torn between the options when ordering skates. 

Right now I have unlined foam.  I do not care for how it can tear a bit, but it has been perfectly comfortable so far. 
This made me consider the lined version anticipating better durability, but I saw a brand new pair (online) with this option and did not think it looked as well finished or comfortable as I had imagined.  Brand new skates all generally look less comfortable however, and I suppose I shouldn't be so picky about the stitching, (but I'm detail oriented and a seamstress so...) 

Lambswool is intriguing, but I can't find many photos or reports.  The lambswool section of a 50/50 tongue I have on spares seems nice though.  I don't like the 50/50 since it doesn't solve the tearing foam edge situation. 

I confirmed that my skates are the double duo bond (highest strength) 3 layer construction that I suspected!  Oh my!  When I tried less stiff boots recently I did not like it and plan to get the same, but other things I am thinking to opt for now are a double wedge scallop, thinsulate layer, a bit of glitter, and the other big question: leather type and colour.

I've mostly talked myself into pebble white after an initial idea of black or medium grey suede.   ;D
I welcome opinions and photos of white pebble if anyone has that or any other suggestion.  (White suede sounds like a nightmare, because I picture myself doing a lunge or wiping out on someone's marker lines my first time out, lol.)  I figure I better stick with the "traditional" white but thought it would be nice to do something other than the usual smooth finish at least if I'm going all out and getting customs.  Has anyone heard of any other leather finish to look into?

Some coaches I see around here have blue, purple, or pink suede.   :D  Coach Awesome had black suede SP Terries, and I liked the patina.  Other than that I've seen the usual smooth black, white, and tan.  Harlick has some pretty interesting leathers and designs, but I'm not going bold.   ;)

FigureSpins:
I've had the soft foam and the smooth foam tongues in various skates over the years.  I think the soft foam, which looks like expanded bubbles, was the more comfortable.  Both were fine.  I've never had all-leather or lambswool. However, Klingbeil used to provide two lambswool pads for the break-in period.  (Really cute - heart-shaped, about 5")  They felt really good, better than the bunga sleeves or the makeup sponges many people use.  YMMV

I'm pretty traditional about skate color - white is the easiest for me, so that's what I use.  I had a few pair of tan boots, but it was a PITA to get matching laces - I ended up dyeing white ones myself.  If you like bright or colored laces, that's not a problem. 

Several of my male skaters chose suede finish skates and they really looked nice because it hid scuffs and dirt.  I love the look of black uppers with brown heels/soles.

Some skating friends have opted for the decorative inserts or they've added their own embellishments to their skates.  It looks okay - the most-interesting one is a woman who has a flower on her boot ankle.  It matches her tattoo in the same spot on her ankle.   ;D 

Decorations are not my style; I just want skates that fit right, provide the right support and last a little while. 

Bill_S:

--- Quote ---I think the soft foam, which looks like expanded bubbles, was the more comfortable
--- End quote ---

Those two are the only types that I've skated in for any length of time, and I'd agree that the soft foam (looking like expanded bubbles) worked better for me. I wonder what the fabric-covered padding in some newer Riedell skates would be like long-term?

To the OP - for grins, check out these Riedell leather customization options...

https://www.ice.riedellskates.com/custom-skates

Query:
As a seamstress, can you sew and/or glue in different tongue options to your current skates, to try for feel? Maybe with a sewing awl?

I tried on boots that had very comfortable plus luxurious pressure moldable foam tongues, and loved the feel. But most foams break down over time, and might eventually create lace bite - unless you replace them. Good leather can be very durable, if it fits you well (to an extent, it can be spot heat molded), but I'm not sure it will feel as good as a pressure moldable foam.

Optimal material also depends on how much your feet sweat. Closed cell foams don't breath.

Suede shoes or boots often don't quite match and are not completely uniform in color. Moisture and other things can change their color, in spots, and it is harder to clean. I just bought new walking boots. They only ones I found which fit well were dark red suede, and the two boots were a different color shade, which could also be true for your skates. I sprayed them with a silicone waterproofing agent, so they won't leak (not a problem for most skates). It darkened them from red to brown, and now they match, though they they can't breath. (My feet don't sweat much.)

I like the idea that suede hides scuffs. So I would stop using boot covers. But does anyone know if suede is less durable over the long term?

Color is obviously individual choice. Unless you are doing team skating (e.g., with an ice dance or pairs partner, or in a Synchro or production team). Would a bright pure color would clash with clothing/costume and lace colors you like, and do you care?

But honestly, I think good full custom fit boots, fit by the best fitter you can find, like one of the manufacturer's fitters or one they recommend, are more important to your health and performance than color, and would be a better use of your money, if that the choice. Many people find that full custom fit boots work a lot better for them.

AlbaNY:
Ooh!  Thank you for all the answers!   :) :) :)

I don't have time now to properly respond, but I'm going to when I can. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page