You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 2016 Adult Competition on East Coast  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
2016 Adult Competition on East Coast
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »
Okay, I tried to get some feedback two years ago about this, but then school got in the way...

Who among you, would be interested in an Adult Competition in the NYC area? Several years ago, we had the Winter Classic at Chelsea Piers, but it was replaced with an artistic competition for all age groups.

When I ask about an all adult competition, I am inquiring about dancers and pairs as well.  I need to know if there is an interest before I try to find someone to sponsor this baby and go forward to the USFSA.

So, who's with me???

And yes, I'm about to try Facebook as well....
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
Re: 2016 Adult Competition on East Coast
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:08:49 PM »
72 views and no replies?  I am looking for feedback about the idea before I go begging to a skating club to support this.  Between Facebook, my blog and this forum, I have received 5 responses and one of those was a suggestion that I plan a competition in Washington, DC.  I don't know Washington, DC or any other state except NY.  My home club is in NY and the president suggested that I see if there was any interest.  Judging from the responses, I'm going to say there is no interest in a NYC area adult competition.

I tried.  Therefore,  :nvm:
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
I might be interested, but I'm competing for the first time next month and don't know whether it'll turn out to be the sort of thing I want to keep doing… plus at the pace I'm going I'd still be USFSA Basic Skills and I wasn't sure whether the competition would include that.  So I didn't reply initially… but I'm in the area and potentially interested!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:19:10 PM »
It would depend on where and when. NYC is day trip distance for me but so is the all adult competition near Washington DC in January - planning on attending that. I'm also considering the artistic competition - my coaches take skaters to that every year and want me to go. So, I'd maybe be interested but it would need to not overlap or be too close to the competitions I've already committed to in Jan/Feb/March/April. Maybe a fall competition? I'd love to try out new programs and then have the winter to work on them before the season begins.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
2016 Adult Competition on East Coast
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
I'm in the NYC area but am not remotely competitive and don't plan to be, but I love the idea. That's not helpful in your efforts but I wanted to reply and not just be an annoying page view. :)

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »
Way back when The Halloween Open was pretty well attended so that might be a possible time frame to consider.  It's pretty hard getting people to express interest in attending an event without a date and location.  It's the old "Build it and they will come" philosophy, though.  Find a date and a location and go for it.  Promote the heck out of it - and be sure that it doesn't conflict with any of the already established adult competitions already running elsewhere on the east coast.  Then give it a chance to grow over a few years.

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »
I agree that interest will depend upon when the competition is (fall is generally good since it doesn't conflict with some of the more "established" adult competitions) and where in NY it will be. Will it be easily accessible for those traveling from out of state?
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »
With the overwhelming number of responses I've received (6 on Facebook, 5 here, 0 on my blog), I will take the information and see if my skating club is interested.  I am hopeful, but would not be surprised if they said no.  Eleven responses?   :o  I'll try....