You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Weight Watchers and Skating  (Read 21717 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Weight Watchers and Skating
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
After my knees went kablooey, I put on 5 lb in six weeks. I'm now religiously back on Weight Watchers, tracking every point, no candy(it's a trigger food), blah blah blah.  I've started a private blog called "Big Fat Skater" to motivate myself. Can I reach my goal weight? Will it help me get back on ice? Can I track my knee improvement w/ PT and weight loss?

Anyway, really frustrated w/ being unable to skate more than 1/2 hour at a time, and it's motivating the heck out of me to stick to it.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Re: Weight Watchers and Skating
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
Good for you!!

If you ever decide to share your blog with other skaters who are not judgemental because they're fighting the same fight, count me in. I am really not good about losing weight (though so very effective at gaining it) but I do try to remember when I go for the carbs (my trigger) that hauling less weight around the ice makes everything easier and more possible. Oh, such a battle!

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Count me in for the working to lose some weight club.  My goal (starting two weeks ago) is to lose at least half a pound a week (and hopefully more some weeks) through the end of June and then to keep it off for the remainder of the year.  (I'll still need more weight at that point, but I'm trying to keep my goal modest, and succeed at it, rather than being ambitious, failing and then eating too much to console myself.)  With my weight up, I definitely notice that my feet are more prone to having plantar faciitis type issues.  (The various connective tissues get sore, and need regular, vigorous massage to feel decent.)

Posting here seems like a good way to keep myself motivated to stick with healthy, moderate eating.  Hopefully we can encourage each other to keep working toward our goals.   :D

I hope your knees get healthy fast, and that you make good progress towards a healthy weight.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:55 PM »
I'm trying to keep my goal modest, and succeed at it, rather than being ambitious, failing and then eating too much to console myself

Super smart! I take it as good advice - thank you.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
I should really be doing the same but I am having trouble motivating myself to get started.  Maybe posting here will give me that push I need. 

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
I've lost some, but have much more to lose. Unfortuantely I've plateaued so I'm getting frustrated.  I hear you on the knee problems and it really does help to lose a bit. The arthritis and stress seems to be less, and I have less swelling in them overall. But, like I said,  I still have quite a ways to go. Good luck to everyone!

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
Just got back from lunchtime on the ice and yes, I used this group to heighten my awareness of what I was choosing to eat when I got home - didn't do the "I exercised so I deserve...[insert not terrible but not great choice]."  Good to know that others are fighting the same fight. For the record I had a piece of turkey breast which I roasted last night and some cottage cheese (I'm not noble, I actually like it). So far, so good...for today.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »
WW is a great program.  I'm sure you will be feeling better quickly.  Are you going to meetings in person or doing it online?

An aside regarding cottage cheese - i love it but always have a flashback to   It's Lola - bugs bunny's gf - she orders a cheese burger and gets cottage cheese.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »
I've got 3 points left for today! So a small pita toasted with cheese as an evening snack.

I'm getting good at walking past the chocolate jar at work. Mostly, it's easy because there's nothing in it by Christmas candy from the Dollar Store. That's not 'chocolate'. That's flavored fat and sugar.

After all this sticking on program perfectly, I'll probably only lose an ounce!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »
You stole the name of my would be blog.  I am big - 5'9" and fat - too embarassed to post my weight, but lets just say I have significant amount.  I need to get on some sort of eating plan.  I did WW many years ago.  The first time I lost 35 pounds and got to my goal weight.  The second time I wasn't so successful.  I wasn't so good about the point counting. 

Offline alainajane

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
I started weight watchers in September.  It was what actually lead me to start skating.  I was looking for a winter activity that did not involve walking on a treadmill, staring at a wall.  Now I can say I'm fairly obsessed with skating- it will not remain a winter-only activity.  I've lost about 17 lbs of the 35 that I needed to lose, so far.  Best of luck with your weight loss.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
I've lost about 17 lbs of the 35 that I needed to lose, so far.
  Congratulations - that's substantial progress. Admirable.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »
Thanks for the support. I'm almost finished with my first week.

Does anyone weigh in every day? My doctor recommended it, but no matter what,it seems I only lose weight on those days when I DON'T weigh in.

The Heisenberg WEight loss principle--a fat cell cannot be observed and lost at the same time.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
a fat cell cannot be observed and lost at the same time
  Love it!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »

Does anyone weigh in every day? My doctor recommended it, but no matter what,it seems I only lose weight on those days when I DON'T weigh in.

I do weigh in every day, but I have to be very careful by doing so. There are natural fluctuations in water and things that can make you go slightly up and down. If I focus too much on the number every day (even if we are talking ounces in change), I can actually sabatoge myself. So if I feel myself getting upset or depressed about the number, I have to not do so for a couple of days.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »
I weigh in every day - first thing in the morning.  There is variability from day to day based on water consumption and how fast or slow my digestive track is moving, so I consider the past three days in my mind to determine whether I am on track with making progress.

I do find it helpful to make a point of staying well hydrated.  Years ago, I read that many Americans are under-hydrated and often mistake the body's craving for water as hunger pang.  For me, drinking extra water helps reduce the between meals munchie cravings.  Plus, hydration helps the joints stay lubricated and a host of other good things for the body.   :D

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »
If I weigh in everyday, it's a good sign that I've been watching my weight by actively working out and/or avoiding junk food.

Alas, I haven't dared to weigh in for a while...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 03:51:13 AM »
Just remember that roughly one pint of water weighs one pound, if you're doing daily weigh ins.
While weighing daily can be helpful, I would compare numbers on a weekly basis to see what the overall trend is doing. Or else spreadsheet up the numbers so you can see if the slope is down or up. Hopefully seeing a downward trend will provide more motivation.

Good luck to everyone. While I probably should lose some weight, I'm not inclined to do anything too drastic, so I'm just trying to cut down on the little extras in my diet and being aware of what I'm eating.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 05:45:09 PM »
Thanks for all the support everyone!

Down 3.6!

Can't feel the difference in my knee of course, early days yet.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »
Don't worry about it. There is one skater who is bigger than many at this rink, but she's also one of the fastest. XD We care more about her doubles than how she looks.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
Great job Agnes! 

I really have to get my butt in gear.  I was using the packing of and unpacking of a house as my extra exercise, man that is a good workout.  But I don't have that anymore. 

And talking of larger skaters, I skate on an adult synchro team and some teams have very large women.  Often those women are the best skaters on the team.  I marvel at the fact they are out there because I know when I was bigger before my initial weight loss it was so hard.  I commend them for doing it. 

Offline LT

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 05:06:20 AM »
Congrats on the progress! I'm hoping to use skating to help me kick start some weightless. Ever since I picked up a second FT job I've been gaining weight (no time to exercise + eating bc I'm tired = a bad combination!).

The only time I ever get to myself is when I'm at the rink for DD's skating, so I thought I should make the most of it and get out there myself.

Offline LindsayH

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »
I lost weight two years ago with Weight Watchers. Not coincidentally, that's when I got really into skating.I reached my goal and am now a lifetime member of WW. I weigh in every month. Without that accountability I know I would have gained it back.

Best of luck to you!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
For those who are skating as part of a weight loss regimen, I think it's worthwhile to take your waist and hip measurements on a regular basis, not just weigh yourself on a scale.  Skating builds your glutes and quads, which are the biggest muscles in your body (and weigh much more than fat).  You may be losing fat and inches even if you aren't losing weight. :)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »
I hope so double toe.  I've actually GAINED weight recently, and I hope it's because I'm finally building muscle in my hips (which have been non-existent until now).

Otherwise my measurements have stayed pretty much even, and my diet is the same as it always is.  Still, it's depressing to step on a scale and see a higher number when I've been so careful eating!