You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Body weight and figure skating.  (Read 14170 times)

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Body weight and figure skating.
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »
Basically, I have a naturally a bit heavier frame than lots of guys I see figure skating, especially singles freestyle. I'm 5'9, 195lbs at 17-20% bodyfat (I've not gotten it checked lately.) Before I started skating, I was 215lbs (was 230lbs a year or so prior though), and after 4 months of skating and some other aerobic exercise, I got down to 180, but probably at the same bodyfat as I am now (so my fat free weight would have been in the neighborhood of 150.) Now I'm hovering at 195 or so after some weightlifting, I'd like to drop down to 180 and be in the neighborhood of 10% bodyfat. But I notice, like take a skater like Johnny Wier, he's my height and 130lbs. It seems as the sometypes gohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotype_and_constitutional_psychology#The_three_types, I fit more into the meso-endomorph category, and most figure skaters, both male and female I've seen, fit more into the ectomorph category.

But yeah, one issue is, can bigger framed people do well figure skating? I don't see too many bigger framed people that figure skate (mind you my proportions seem about perfect for hockey, heh,) though I do see a few. Are you just sorta doomed to lower performance due to having a bigger frame? Maybe in pairs or ice dancing it'd be sorta beneficial as a male? But yeah, can anyone tell me any figure skaters that are bigger framed, either male or female? Does anyone have personal experience being bigger framed?

I mean I do plan to cut weight somewhat, but it seems 180 or 170s would be about the safest I could go to without losing muscle mass and thus strength. And I already can be a bit on the verge of disordered eating with some diet things I try (mind you I stop when I see they're not working.) But I would like to cut a little bit of fat for aesthetic and performance reasons, but when a lot of people meet me, they're like "You're 195lbs, I'd have never guessed." So maybe there's a bit of body dysmorphia going on, too, from being fat for most of my adolescence.

So yeah, eating, bodyweight, what's everyone's take on this? Thanks!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Body weight and figure skating.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:05:35 PM »
From the videos you posted you look perfectly fine. With power come the jumps, I see nice double jumps from skaters of all body types. Spins are more of finding the right spot on the blades.

What are your skating goals?

Offline supra

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »
Oh, those videos posted in the weightlifting thread weren't me.

But uh, I don't know really, I'd probably like to get to double jumps or higher. Possibly pair skating later, too, depending on how things work out. I don't know, as like, right now there's...right now. But I was just wondering if weight would impact your jumps much, as I was thinking power to weight ratio, not just power by itself.

So I should be good regardless as long as I keep the bodyfat down?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Sorry for the confusion. I don't think recreational skaters (with or without double jumps) focus on bodyfat level that much, they definitely emphasize core strength.

See if you could get more information from these:
Conditioning for Figure Skating: Off-Ice Techniques for On-Ice Performance
or
www.sk8strong.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »
Sorry for the confusion. I don't think recreational skaters (with or without double jumps) focus on bodyfat level that much, they definitely emphasize core strength.

Agreed.... you don't need to be "built like a skater" to get to doubles.  As an adult skater the likelyhood of you progressing to triples at any point is very unlikely... but it won't be your weight holding you back on that one.  It's also not reasonable to compare your body to elite-level skaters.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 11:13:20 AM »
If you look at online skating videos, especially videos from Adult Nationals on IceNetwork, you will see marvelous performances by adult skaters of all body shapes, heights, weights and sizes.  Adult skaters are a wonderful bunch of people! 

Offline supra

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »
Interestingly, I've read that Midori Ito is considered a mesomorph. I noticed she had pretty huge legs, and that's probably why she was the first lady to land a triple axel in competition. But one sad thing I read, that Midori's performance suffered later in her career because she tried to diet down to be "skinny" like the rest of the more ectomorph skaters, so it does seem to be less of a performance issue and more just an aesthetic one.

But if it is just all about power, once I get some technique I should be pretty good to go, this is nice to hear. Thanks!

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
Are you just sorta doomed to lower performance due to having a bigger frame? Maybe in pairs or ice dancing it'd be sorta beneficial as a male? But yeah, can anyone tell me any figure skaters that are bigger framed, either male or female?

There are many skaters like Weir who have long,lean muscles. But not all.

Have you looked at photos or videos of Artur Dmitriev in his prime? I'm not talking about the overly heavy Artur later in his pro career; I'm talking about the very fit, very strong guy who won two Olympic Gold Medals (with different partners) in pairs and gosh knows how many other top podium places in a storied career. Not long, lean, delicate - none of those things. A strong partner and fabulous skater.

(SP from Nagano - later in his eligible career) - he was still great.

Everyone does not have to be shaped the same way.  

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »
The bigger around you are, the slower you will spin in the air on multi-revolution jumps.  This is why skaters landing triples and quads try to stay slim.  But for double jumps, that isn't really a problem.  It's more important to have strength and good technique. :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »
Interestingly, I've read that Midori Ito is considered a mesomorph. I noticed she had pretty huge legs, and that's probably why she was the first lady to land a triple axel in competition. But one sad thing I read, that Midori's performance suffered later in her career because she tried to diet down to be "skinny" like the rest of the more ectomorph skaters, so it does seem to be less of a performance issue and more just an aesthetic one.

But if it is just all about power, once I get some technique I should be pretty good to go, this is nice to hear. Thanks!

I remember reading an article quoting Midori Ito back when she was a competitor, it was something like, 'I don't have pretty legs and the judges don't like that, but they give me triples and the judges do like that.'

I've looked at videos of her skating since then and I don't get the thrill from them I did when I first saw them. They seem choppy.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »
Maybe some of the issue with weight is the extra stress on your knees in jump landings.

Slightly off-topic, but Rachel Flatt isn't as skinny as most female figure skaters, though some of that is just in the face. Do you think her figure affects her scores? How much do U.S. and International judges notice appearance?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
Rachel Flatt has a round face but I would never think of her as even slightly overweight - she is as tiny as they come... I think the problem with her is her posture!

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »
Also remember that TV vs. real life show different things. Someone will look taller/larger on TV than they are in real life.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »
Also remember that TV vs. real life show different things. Someone will look taller/larger on TV than they are in real life.

So very true.  I know that seeing skaters in real life I was struck how very tiny they were - especially the male pairs skaters who were no taller than me and totally slim.  They look like giants on the ice lifting those girls!!!

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
How does TV makes you look a different shape?

---

Low end male ice dancers don't lift ladies, and low level ice dancers don't jump, so it seems like recreational ice dancers could be a bit heavy and still dance. At 5'4" I'm down from 150+ to about 142, certainly overweight by figure skating standards, but it isn't my weight that limits anything but possibly jumps - it's flexibility, age and coming late to athletic activity.

An on-line site says Rachel Flatt (a freedstyle skater) is 5'1" and 110 pounds. That doesn't sound fat. My most recent ice dance coach is 5'2" and I think about 135 - 140 pounds - but looks incredibly trim. Must be mostly muscle, in both cases.

Most of the serious male ice dancers I've met are tall, but look too skinny to be particularly strong. I bet a big beefy football or hockey player can lift ladies easier than the average male pairs or dance skater.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
Lifts in skating are influenced by the balance between the skaters and depends as much on the strength of the lady being lifted as it does on the strength of the man doing the lifting.

Offline supra

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »
I remember reading an article quoting Midori Ito back when she was a competitor, it was something like, 'I don't have pretty legs and the judges don't like that, but they give me triples and the judges do like that.'

I've looked at videos of her skating since then and I don't get the thrill from them I did when I first saw them. They seem choppy.

Really? I love Midori Ito. And I think her legs look great. Just saying. I think what it is, Midori just had tons of power, compared to many other female skaters, so she goes faster on the ice than the others. I dunno, I think she's better than Katarina Witt for sure.

As far as my weight, it's mostly in the legs. I think it's because of my neurological problems, I walk off the balls of my feet and toes a lot, so it ended up with me having huge legs and a huge butt, like disproportionately. Like I'll generally wear medium or rarely small size tshirts, but then I have to wear 34-36 jeans. I also did a bit of cycling, and still do now, and cycling will obviously work the leg muscles, too. But the upper body is tiny and lanky and then the lower body is like, huge. It's weird. I used to not like it but now I just sorta have accepted it, under sorta the same mantra of what Midori Ito said. I've only recently realized that it gives me a performance advantage for a wide range of sports. But, proportionally, I look much more like the average hockey player, for better or worse.

And regarding Midori Ito again, in the comment I read, the person said she tried to diet down/slim down and it made her skate worse. And wow. It sure looks that way, I only watched her '88 stuff, 92 isn't as good at all. 1988 she just seemed to like, fly, and 92, not quite as much. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-03-23/sports/9603230031_1_olympic-champion-carol-heiss-short-program-hungry-kids That article seems to confirm that, too. Huh, wow.