You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Replacing old Riedell 320 Bronze Stars  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Replacing old Riedell 320 Bronze Stars
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »
I have been skating in the old version of Riedell Bronze Stars, the model 320, since 2006.  They are just now starting to develop significant creases and since I need new blades, I think I will get new boots as well and keep the current boots for any outdoor skating.  I recently passed Bronze FS test (yay!)

The new Riedell Bronze Stars are supposed to be significantly stiffer than what I have now, more like the old Silver Stars.  Given that I have skated in my current 320s for almost 9 years and could probably get another year out of them, I am worried that the new Bronze Stars might be way too stiff.  I have looked at the Riedell 910s but didn't care for how they looked.  I haven't seen the new 910s in person (Flair is new name, I believe).

I am a petite adult and skate 5-6 hours a week.

Any suggestions for appropriate Riedell model to replace old 320s? I am willing to try other brands but our good fitter retired.  Coach doesn't recommend Edeas for me.  Assume since I had good Riedell feet (split width A/AA) that Jacksons probably won't do.  In street shoes, I wear B width and have no foot issues like bunions, etc. so I don't think I need custom skates.  My heel is a little narrow, hence the split width.

Hoping there will be some boot vendors at Adult Nationals, especially someone from Riedell.  Do they usually bring any inventory or have people who can fit you? 

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Re: Replacing old Riedell 320 Bronze Stars
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »
http://www.iceskatesnblades.com/riedell-skates.html

Does that help?

I will say my petite 5 year old went from stiffness of 25 Jackson boots recently to a 50 (223 edge) and has not had any problems. Honestly, the 50 in stiffness does not feel like too much for her at all, especially since they have been heat molded.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
Thanks, jlspink22.  That web page is VERY helpful.  I'd looked at the recommendations for my level on the Kinzies Closet page and in the Riedell online catalog, but that page lays it out so much better.  It looks like I might have a rough break-in if I get the 2014 model of the Bronze Star.

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »
How interesting! I just got new Riedell model 255 skates to replace my 3 1/2 yr old model 255's that are too big. I was thinking that they felt a little stiffer, but I thought that either A: It's been 3 1/2 yrs & I had forgotten how stiff they were when new or B: The skates fit properly so they felt stiffer due to a tighter fit. Nice to know that it wasn't just all in my head & there is a difference in the stiffness!

Offline streetsmart

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Making a comeback
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
I had Riedell Flairs.  They are VERY comfortable boots and I didn't find them stiff (for reference I am a 5' 8" adult skating 1-2 hours a week, working on moves and silver/gold dances).  I didn't need band-aids or gel sleeves or sponges or anything, from day one.  I don't mind the way they look, what didn't you like?

My only suggestion is to make sure you try on the correct size/width before buying.  We found their size charts off (ended up with boots too big and too wide despite careful measuring).

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
Streetsmart, the original Riedell 910s had a pre-punched out ankle area that just looked awful to me, like you had enormous fat circular ankles, and I didn't care for the color of the fabric at the top back of the skate.  It was a very dark brown.  I don't think they use that color at the back anymore but I don't know about the ankle area.  Yes, I hope I will be able to try on before I purchase.  I have my current Riedell size as a reference point but don't know how relevant that will be to a new model.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »
Cbskater, what skills are you working on?  I think the model 255 is also a possible replacement for the old Riedell 320s. 

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
I'm working on pre bronze moves & freeskate. So, a lot of half & single jumps, 2 foot & one foot spins.

This is my second week with the new skates. I did a little jumping with the new skates for the first time today. I still don't have much flex in the left skate, so was a little hesitant to jump off it. I did some waltz jumps & half flips though slower than normal. I have new blades, too. ( Coronation Ace's) They are a bigger adjustment then the new boots. Completely different feel than the old ones.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 01:04:06 AM »
Interesting! I have the older model 255s and have been contemplating what my next pair will be, so I've been following this with interest.

Cb, what blades did you have before? How are you liking the aces? I think my next pair, I'll upgrade my aspire xp to aces or something equivalent. I like to plan ahead though it will probably be a while before I need a new pair.

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
I had the Quest ones that come with the boot. The Aces are heavier & have a more substantial toepick. I was surprised  by how much faster they run. I don't notice the extra weight of the blade while skating, even holding my leg up for a spiral. They feel more " solid" if that makes any sense. Maybe that's just the way I notice the extra weight? I really notice that feeling doing jumps. I feel like the takeoff & landings are more stable. My edges have changed. Both left edges have improved & right inside got a lot worse. That one used to be my best edge. Some of the differences may be due to the new boots. I'm still getting them broke in & still trying to get used to the Aces. I feel that when I do that they'll help me be a better skater.