You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Wearing different skates for MIF  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Wearing different skates for MIF
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:27 PM »
I am wondering if it's me or my freestyle skates.  Is it "user error" or an actual equipment error.

I have Edea Ice Flies with the shorter Jackson Ultima Elite blade (stainless steel).  Inside, I wear custom orthodics, which puts my heel a little higher!  They work great for spins. But, I always "skid" the three turn entrance into a salchow jump.   (I don't skate slow, and it's like a floating skid right in the middle of the three . . . . )   I can get "too toe-scratchy" on my jump entrances, and have to concentrate on pushing on the heel and bending my ankle and knee for jump takeoffs.   Worse, I am having a super hard time with my three turns for silver moves in the field.  I don't know if it's me or Edea's high heels.  I have improved, some, but not improved.   My inside, forward three turn is forced and tricky.  My backwards outside three turns, I can't hold/check the forward inside edge after the turn.  That's probably my fault.    I've been practicing them, solid, for one month, and not so solidly for about 4 months.

I still have my old Harlicks, and just had new Coronation Ace's mounted on them.   I am wondering . . .. and considering trying out . . . my old skates just for Moves in the field.  But, those skates are longer because the heel isn't as high.   Or, do I just bear with the high heeled Edeas & freestyle blades and take more lessons.   Remember, when we had "patch" skates & blades?   

Anyone use a different skate for MIF than freestyle?  If I try it out,  I'll do so after this next Monday's rink competition.

(I'll try to do some videos tonight or tomorrow, if it's not crowded).

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
Re: Wearing different skates for MIF
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
A high level skater at my rink has different pairs of skates for dance and freestyle and coaching. Given the different needs for each, it makes sense.

Were you able to get solid 3 turns with your Harlicks and the newer blades? To me, it is sensible to use the equipment that helps you reach your goals. Maybe you can try them out for a session and see. Best wishes.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
I have Ice Flies / Matrix blades but when my blades were damaged last year I had to use my old skates, Jacksons with longer blades, for a dance test and actually found it easier, so if the older boots work better why not use them?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 02:35:14 PM »
I have boots for dance and another pair for free. I won't do dance in free boots and I'm not going to try jumping in the dance boots. But MIF when I'm starting to learn it's whatever boots I'm wearing. As I do MIF with my free coach, I tend to wear the free boots as it gives options on what else to do in the lesson. For whatever reason I always end up with the odd lesson on MIF in my dance boots and my coach actually prefers them. I've got much better edge control in the dance boots. So once I'm getting ready to test, MIF lessons get switched into the dance boots.
I'm not sure if it's heel height or just the ankle control being different.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »
I have boots for dance and another pair for free. I won't do dance in free boots and I'm not going to try jumping in the dance boots. But MIF when I'm starting to learn it's whatever boots I'm wearing. As I do MIF with my free coach, I tend to wear the free boots as it gives options on what else to do in the lesson. For whatever reason I always end up with the odd lesson on MIF in my dance boots and my coach actually prefers them. I've got much better edge control in the dance boots. So once I'm getting ready to test, MIF lessons get switched into the dance boots.
I'm not sure if it's heel height or just the ankle control being different.

fsk8r what dance boot and blade are you using?

I was thinking about this yesterday after getting a new sharpening - I wear a dance boot and blade (SP Teri Dance boot + Wilson Super Dance 99 blade) - but rarely get my blades sharpened so the "bite" etc. is much more now - plus I wonder if the skate tech guy put in a deeper hollow than what I am used to for dance (doubtful) - SO thinking that if freestyle skaters skated with a shallower hollow (which is known in some circles as a "dance grind") they might have an easier time with things like twizzles and loops -

My 2 cents is not much but it is worth some thought.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 06:13:14 PM »
The purpose of moves-in-the-field is to develop all the in-between skating that freestyle skaters do every moment they aren't jumping or spinning.  For that reason, it seems counter-productive to practice MIF in one pair of boots and blades and skate freestyle in another.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »
It sounds like a technique issue, rather than skates.  Dance skates have much higher heels and shorter blades, so you should be more maneuverable on your Edeas for the moves.  I think the skid issue is due to not enough knee and ankle bend and ankle pressure.  When you are doing the inside three, you really have to press with your ankle on the inside edge.   Same holds for the exit out of the BO3.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 01:14:13 PM »
fsk8r what dance boot and blade are you using?

I was thinking about this yesterday after getting a new sharpening - I wear a dance boot and blade (SP Teri Dance boot + Wilson Super Dance 99 blade) - but rarely get my blades sharpened so the "bite" etc. is much more now - plus I wonder if the skate tech guy put in a deeper hollow than what I am used to for dance (doubtful) - SO thinking that if freestyle skaters skated with a shallower hollow (which is known in some circles as a "dance grind") they might have an easier time with things like twizzles and loops -

My 2 cents is not much but it is worth some thought.

I'm in Jackson and Ultima Synchro so not exactly a dance boot and blade but close enough.
In terms of grind, I have 7/16ths on both my dance and free boots. And skate on ultima legacy for free so the blades match up. The real difference between them is that I have grafs for free which have a lower heel. I seem to prefer the higher Jackson heel for doing turns so my new free boots (when I find time to break them in) are Jacksons and I'm curious as to whether this will eliminate my preference. I suspect I'll still prefer the lower cut dance/synchro boots for doing turns and edges.