You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hollydell Ice Arena, Sewell, NJ  (Read 3623 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Hollydell Ice Arena, Sewell, NJ
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:52:59 PM »
Hollydell Ice Arena, Sewell, NJ Hollydell, NJ

Lots of hockey, Ample parking

Two sheets of ice - door says NHL, brochures say Olympic sized. Without being picayune, both rinks have multiple locker rooms, skate rental and stadium bench seating.  Hockey netting around the goal ends of the rink but not down the length.  (Our home rink has big glass windows on the interior second story, which is probably why it looked odd to me.)

I didn't notice a harness line, but I wasn't looking for one.  There could be one installed, but with hockey on the ice, it wasn't obvious.  (I swear that, everytime I peeked through the glass, one of the players would take a slap shot in my direction.  It's silly to think that I was being targeted since they were in an active game, but I was near the blue line...I guess the players were a little uncontrolled?

Snack bar/grille with ample seating and a giant penguin statue.  (Best feature, IMO)

Huge video game room.  Huge.  Must get a lot of use for birthday parties.

Home club: Hollydell figure skating club (USFSA) - test sessions, club ice, LTS (switched from ISI) and figure skating consignment shop.

Pro shop - almost entirely hockey equipment.

There are public and freestyle sessions.  After LTS/Freeskate 2, skaters switch to private lessons.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Hollydell Ice Arena, Sewell, NJ
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »
How is the ice?

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
Hollydell Ice Arena, Sewell, NJ
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
It's not in hollydell it's in Sewell, NJ.  Skate sharpeners are good for both hockey and figure. Shop stocks jacksons but can't speaker to fitters.

My sister plays sled hockey there, but it's been well over a year since I've been skating there. I will ask my mom about the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Hollydell Ice Arena, Sewell, NJ
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »
My mistake - I saw a sign for Hollydell and thought the rink was in that town.  It does sound better than "Sewell."  (Although the neighborhood looked nice enough.)

I wasn't able to skate - there were hockey games underway on both rinks.  It was hard to tell, but the ice looked level and well-maintained.  The rinks were very cold, so I assume it's hockey ice - hard and cold.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com