You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Boots, the Bane of My Existence - anyone try Riedell Customs or Avanta?  (Read 6243 times)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
I cannot tell you how much I dislike boots, and I am soooo jealous of those who buy a pair of stock boots and move on with life. Boot problems have impacted my daughter's skating success because she is always struggling. She says, if my feet didn't hurt so much, I would skate more and be better. I agree 100% with that statement and it is so frustrating. AAHHH  >:( :'( >:(.

We are on her second pair of custom Harlicks. She has had them for one year with a love/hate relationship. They work more than any other boot, but she still has issues. I think she has grown just a smidgen but enough to be really uncomfortable and it is time to make a decision on what next. Part of the problem is that they can never seem to round out the toes enough. They are wide at the ball, but then they narrow at the tip of the toe and I think that is causing inflammation at the big toe joint and arches. Jackson rounds the toe all the way out and that shape works better, but the actual boots cause her more pain than any others, we've tried two pairs and she absolutely hates them. Plus, they can't get the heal narrow enough. Edeas sort of work if we order the D width, punch out the toes and squeeze the heal, but the plastic sole and heal height don't work for her and she has cramping no matter which insole we put in there. We haven't tried SP-Teri, Avanta, or custom Riedells.

I'm just not sure what to do. Take a risk that one of the other boots will be able to get all the parts right but maybe have it flop. Or do we order another pair of Harlicks knowing they aren't going to get the toe rounded out enough.

Has anyone ordered fully custom Riedell skates? We are in Northern Illinois so I could drive to Riedell in Minnesota to be directly measured rather than going through a fitter. Avanta with their casting process actually seems like the best option, but I have heard that either they get it really right or they get it really wrong - a skater at our rink had some made and she couldn't wear them at all but then some online reviews say they are miracle boots. What to do, what to do???

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Boots, the Bane of My Existence - anyone try Riedell Customs or Avanta?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:02:34 PM »
(a) I took a poll of people's experiences with custom boots.  Few responses, only Harlick and SP-Teri:

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=7827.0

(b) You said the major problem appears to be with the toe box.  The Jackson toe box allowed proper clearance, but the heel was too wide.  Was that a stock Jackson, or a custom Jackson?  With a custom, Jackson should be able to get the heel as narrow as needed.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
If the toes are usually the problem and Jackson does toes well for her, I'd take a good look at what she 'hates' about Jackson and see if a custom or semi custom jackson boot would fix any of that.  My thing when looking is to find a brand that fits the problem area well - for me it's the same, the toe box, so Jackson it is for me - and work around the other issues.  Also, have you looked at Gam?  Because the fit is very similar.

In terms of Harlick, are you using X-line?  (I think that's what it's called... Harlick's version of rounded toe box...)

Are you close enough to any of the skate companies to go and have a fitting with them?  Don't limit yourself to thinking of companies like Harlick who specialize in customs... most will do custom skates... so if you're close enough it could be worth the trip to see an expert.  You can also look and see if there are any big skating events around you. The boot makers all usually go though I'm thinking you've probably missed the season for this.

Boot issues are a pain.  It took me trying almost every brand before I settled on Jackson.  And even with Jackson, it took a few pairs to find a length and width that worked for me.  Good luck!

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:48:37 PM »
Her Jackson's were a customized order, she just did not like them at all. I know they work for some people, but not her. I think the general shape of the boot is just uncomfortable for some reason, she didn't like the lining, the tongue, the back cuff or the sole.

Her Harlicks were full customs but by mail order because they are across the county. I think if we could go in person they could build her a boot that would work. She loves the back half of the boot, with dance backstay, really thick achilles padding and she also finds the tongue very comfortable. I think they make a really high quality product.

We are going to try Riedell's full custom. I talked with them today and it sounds like the best option. The master boot maker will do the fitting and look at her current boots, her feet, listen to what does and doesn't work for her, and then try to build a something that fits. We will go to pick them up so they can heat mold and punch out any little problem areas. Plus, it only take 5-6 weeks, which is a short amount of time for custom boots. I didn't know that they made full customs until recently, so we haven't ever considered the option before.

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:53 PM »
My daughters head coach wears Reidell customs.  He told me he's been wearing them since he was a teen, and he gets fitted at the factory.  He has very wide feet.  He was an international competitor in the 2000s, and now gets a new pair about every 2-3 years.  So they definitely can make wide boots.  I think going to the factory is the right call, though.  Good luck to you.

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
We made the trip to the Riedell factory for a custom boot fitting and are optimistic! We worked with Dan and he noticed things about her feet that nobody else has mentioned. It seemed like he really had a good grasp on why she was having problems and how he could build a boot that would work for her. Fingers crossed, I guess we will know in 6 weeks.

As a bonus, the town of Red Wing is super quaint and we had a lovely one night stay at a bed and breakfast. :)

Offline DressmakingMomma

We picked up dd's custom Riedell Boots today and they are gorgeous! The fee for full customs is all inclusive with no extra charges for options, so she decided to design something unique. As an astronomy lover, she chose black suede with silver leather underneath cut away to an image of her dog looking at the crescent moon on one boot and her favorite constellation (leo) on the other boot. Inset Swarovski stars add a little sparkle to both.

Even more importantly, the fit is right on. They were heat molded but no punch outs were needed. The final thumbs up will come tomorrow when she skates in them for the first time. They are extra wide at the ball with a nice rounded toe box and very full at the instep to accommodate her flat arches, but that's what she needs. I am excited to see how they feel on the ice tomorrow.

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
Beautiful! I hope they work for her.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Those are amazing!  I hope they fit as great as they look!

Offline DressmakingMomma

And we have a winner!! They fit and no pain aside from the normal break-in stiffness. No arch pain, no pinched toes, no heel slippage, no ball of foot pain, no pain!!! I'm so happy that we decided to give Riedell customs a try, now if only they stay comfortable. My little princess and the pea has such picky feet.

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:36:20 PM »
A little late to the party but I just got custom Avantas and they are for me a night and day difference compared to the boots I was in before. Unfortunately, it seems unless you can get an in-person fitting then they aren't easily purchased.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
And we have a winner!! They fit and no pain aside from the normal break-in stiffness. No arch pain, no pinched toes, no heel slippage, no ball of foot pain, no pain!!! I'm so happy that we decided to give Riedell customs a try, now if only they stay comfortable. My little princess and the pea has such picky feet.

Curious....it's skate time for me.  I don't know what my tech will suggest brand-wise, but do you remember the custom pricing scheme at riedell?  Was it a fixed price for whatever you wanted, or piecemeal depending on features?  Do you mind sharing what your daughters (very beautiful!!!) boots came too (without blades).  TIA!

Offline DressmakingMomma

The custom price was an all inclusive price of $829. She ended up with a modified backstrap, split width, top grain leather lining (it is super soft), lowered backstay with padded collar, split sponge/lambswool tongue, tongue lacing bar, lighter weight cork/leather heel, vibration reduction sole, and black suede with cutouts and crystals - all for one flat custom charge.

We traveled to the factory for the fitting and Dan did an amazing job designing the right boot for her. The town is cute and we had a lovely stay in a bed and breakfast. Not sure where you are located, but if that is an option, I would definitely recommend going that route.

Offline tothepointe

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
That's a really reasonable price for customs. Though I bet there is some efficiency in their production as I believe they use CAD for the patternmaking and then they can send the boot once patterned through the regular production line.

(I have a background in apparel manufacturing so I geek out at this kind of thing)

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
Yes it is a good price for customs.And even more, not significantly more than what I'd pay for a less than perfect stock boot with a double split width.....  muy interesante....

Offline DressmakingMomma

(I have a background in apparel manufacturing so I geek out at this kind of thing)

Riedell has a series of videos on youtube that show the process of making their customs, it is pretty interesting. We got to walk through the factory when we were there, and it was really cool. My dad used to have a large printing corp, and I love the sounds and smells of good old machinery making things.