You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Cheap Fleece  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Cheap Fleece
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »
I love fleece. It is warm (even when wet), light, and I love the way it feels. But if you go to the usual outdoor store places (REI, Hudson Bay Outfitters, LL Bean, etc.), you often find it at remarkably expensive prices. (Caution: cheep fleece is not very windproof. In the layered system that many outdoor people use, it is frequently covered by a wind and water resistant layer, and lies over a water-wicking underwear layer using materials like polypropylene or silk.)

At this season, many stores are getting rid of their stocks of winter clothing.

A couple weeks ago, I got good fleece gloves and hats from a dollar store (Dollar Tree) - for a dollar! Alas, the Dollar Tree near me no longer has them in the store.

I just visited a Forman Mills store - a chain that sells a lot of discount clothing. It is not a well organized store - you find clothing of similar categories scattered through different parts of the store, organized as much by brand as by style. For the most part, it is not organized by size - even where it says it is, though, for the most part, the children section sizes are smaller than the adult section sizes. For me, as a small male, there is far less clothing available than for larger people. And it sells both very cheap lines of clothing, and somewhat more expensive ones. But if you are willing to spend the time looking, you can always get real bargains. Good shirts for $5 - $8, good pants for $9 - $11.

Despite the "Clearance - everything must go" sign, they aren't going out of business. It's just a seasonal sale. But at the moment you can find some fleece shirts there in the $5 to $8 range, thicker fleece jackets and pullovers and hoodies for a little more, sweat pants and similar pants for $5 - $10. All excellent for ice rinks, which tend to be a bit cold.

I'm sure that other discount stores are selling off their winter gear at cheap prices too. Perhaps some of them could be listed by you folks here too.