You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What should I get next?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Lolo76

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
What should I get next?
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:15:16 PM »
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding which boots to get next, and was hoping someone here could help. Here's the situation...

I used to skate competitively (mid-level ice dance, lower-level freestyle) when I was younger, and also coached basic toddler & adult classes for a brief time while in graduate school. During my competing years I always wore custom Harlicks, mostly due to my VERY narrow feet w/ pronation, which couldn't fit comfortably in a stock boot. When I was coaching (about 10 years ago) I bought a brand new pair of custom Harlicks, but about 2-3 months later suffered a non-skating-related fracture in my left foot. I wasn't able to skate at all for a while, then slowly started again very recreationally - mostly just tooling around with my nieces & nephews etc. Due to the injury, plus getting older, fatter, and having a worsening case of arthritis, the Harlicks hurt REALLY badly! Seriously, I couldn't go more than 5-10 minutes without having to stop and loosen them to rest my throbbing feet.

Finally at the recommendation of my sister, I decided to sell them and get something more comfortable. Now that I'm not jumping, spinning, etc, I don't need all of that support - and it was probably the cause of my foot pain, especially in the arches and balls of my feet. At the same time, however, I could never feel quite right in a cheap or rental boot. I was thinking maybe a higher-level stock Riedell, dance boot with soft back, or something along those lines. Or what about a stock Harlick? Would that provide more flexibility and comfort, without being TOO soft? I live in the Bay Area, btw, so have both Harlick and SP Teri factories within driving distance. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I'd like to not spend a ton of money (will try eBay once I have a few model numbers to go on).

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: What should I get next?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »
I don't know what the pain is in your feet is, but if it's because the boot is too tight in the forefoot, then there's a last ditch solution. If you sold them then this is irrelevant.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2013/08/surgical-intervention-on-figure-skating.html

If you liked Harlicks but your forefoot is wider than it was when you were younger, look at the Harlick X-line.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Lolo76

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »
I did already sell the skates (on eBay), but she hasn't received them yet & I gave her a 7-day trial period. So if they end up not working for her, I'll get them back and try that trick. I did have them stretched twice, and that helped a little but not enough. Mostly the pain is between the arches & ball of my foot, and feels like a very painful aching/throbbing. Pretty sure my feet are the same size (especially since I've lost about 40lbs since purchasing them), so it's probably the arthritis + residual damage from that fracture. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
You'd be surprised at how much your feet change as you grow older. The ligaments in the  feet loosen up and cause a lot of difference. I had my feet change over a period of a few months to the point my boots were unwearable (hence the cut forefoot).

The pain you're experiencing sounds more like tightening the laces too tight over the arch. But that would be a beginner's mistake and that's unlikely in your case since you skated competitively.

I got's nothing about boot suggestions. I've been a Jackson girl, but Harlicks seem to be where I'm headed.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 02:00:29 AM »
Do you have a decent pro-shop nearby?  If so, it might be worth a stop in, just to see where things are and give you a sense of direction. 

Otherwise, if you want to surf the web, Kinzie's Closet has a TON of information.  I think there are some errors on the site (in terms of boot recommendations/stiffness ratings), but I suspect that these get fixed as they're pointed out and you've enough experience to sort through it.

I just came back to skating, and while researching boots found them (coupled with the advice I got on this forum) to be really helpful.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
Given that you have relatively easy access to both Harlick and SP Teri, I'd suggest going to each and discussion your needs, and having a fitting done with them personally - working with a fitter at a pro shop is essentially working through a 3rd party, and since you're local, I would just deal with each direct.

Once you have had fittings done with both, then you can decide what you want to do.  Personally I would caution you against trying to buy used boots in your position - it may be a great way for some people to save money, but as an adult who isn't at much risk of outgrowing your skates, but on the flip side, you could end up with exactly the same scenario as you had before - boots that in theory "should" fit, but still caused a lot of pain, or you could end up with someone's boots that have undisclosed issues - for example I have a broken down pair of Jacksons that look "like new" but the lateral support is seriously lacking compared to when they were new.  I think, especially when you have specific fit issues, that it simply makes much more sense to buy new and get exactly what you need - and since you have access to either factory, ANY fit issues you end up with can be addressed fairly easily (as compared to the rest of us, who end up having to mail them back and forth).