You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How to fit skates  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
How to fit skates
« on: October 26, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

So I'm heading to the nearest pro-shop 5 hours away in a few days.  This is a one shot deal.  I have no idea how good the fitter there is, so I want to be as informed as possible.

My (nearly 30 year old) skates were very good in their day, but have very little padding in them.  Nowadays that seems to be different, and lots of people talk about heel slippage after "a while".  That "while" seems to be different for different people.  btw I'm looking at mid-range- stiffness of 55-70 skates.

So, when I have these boots on my feet, what should I be looking for in terms of snugness, assuming that it's going to loosen up after heat molding and wear?  Presumably not cut-off-the-circulation, but how close too it?  I am most concerned about the heel since it's the narrowest part of my foot, but I'd like general advice as well.

Also, I've read much about the "knee bend test" to make sure the skates aren't too stiff.  Does this apply to dance/synchro boots as well.

Thanks heaps!!!!

PS- I've been looking for a thread on this topic- if there is one, please just provide a link, I'll happily read away.