You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Riedell Soft Series for kids?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
Riedell Soft Series for kids?
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
My 9-year-old sister is taking ISI lessons too (Alpha) and she really wants skates.

Would the Riedell Soft Series be good for her (like these: http://www.ice.riedellskates.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=615-SS)? I know her feet grow pretty fast, so I was thinking the softer ones might be more "forgiving" and last longer than, say, a pair in the Recreational Series.

Has anyone had experience with kids wearing these for ISI basic skills? Are there any other options for kids whose feet are still growing?

Thanks!
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Riedell Soft Series for kids?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
Padding and comfort does not mean the skates will last longer, lol.  It just means you'll spend more money on lessons once the skates start to hold her back.  I realize she's going to outgrow the skates, so if you think she'll outgrow them before she finishes Beta, then it's a good call.  Tip: the softskates and vinyl skates cannot be stretched, so once they start getting tight, you have to replace them quickly.  A leather skate can be stretched by the pro shop to get a few extra weeks of wear.

Does she want to do figure skating or just scoot around the rink?  The soft skates are okay for rec skating, but once she gets to ISI Gamma, she'll need more support and a better "figure" blade if she wants to keep learning figure skating. 

The Riedell 115's (Yellow Ribbon) are rated up through Gamma; the 121's are good up through Delta.  The Softskates aren't rated because they're not intended for figure skaters.

The 115/121 models are a better skates than the softskates, imo, but they are more expensive.  Both have a better figure skating blade and provide appropriate support.  You're spending money on lessons, so why not invest in good equipment?  It's the only required piece of equipment for the sport.

Go to the pro shop and have her sized/fitted for skates.  They can recommend different options and they might even have a pair of skates on consignment in good condition. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Has anyone had experience with kids wearing these for ISI basic skills? Are there any other options for kids whose feet are still growing?

I wouldn't recommend them for anyone - they're really not meant for figure skaters, they're basically marketed as recreational (pond) skates, and for that, which amounts to occasional use over one season, they're still not that great, but probably adequate.   

I would suggest the 121's, they're good quality beginner skates, and if they are still in good condition when she outgrows them, they will tend to have a fairly high resale value because they're a better quality skate than something like a soft skate - which means that in the long run, they probably cost less than buying a cheap pair of skates which won't hold up for more than a few weeks of regular skating. 

Plus, as FigureSpins mentioned, leather boots can be stretched as they are outgrown, which can buy some much needed time before they have to be replaced.  Usually the rule of thumb for kids with growing feet is to get them fit, and buy a boot 1/2 size larger (but no bigger) to allow for growing room.

Definitely ask about used skates as well from your pro shop or possibly even your rink's skating director.

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
Thank you so much for your explanations, FigureSpins and sarahspins. That makes a lot of sense.

My rink has a used skate and equipment book that we can look into, too.
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13