You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Competition Dress Insights?  (Read 5125 times)

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 8
Competition Dress Insights?
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
Alright all you lovely ladies out there! I am very excited to be doing my first ever competition in August. Surprisingly, what's currently causing me the most anxiety is not skating itself but finding a competition dress! I'm 21 years old so I would like something mature but not stodgy.  I'm 5'6.5" and about 130 pounds.  Typically I wear a 0 or 2 in clothes and am about a 34 bust, so overall I'm fairly average size-wise.  Any suggestions or insights on sizing, brands or success with places they've purchased dresses?  Anything is appreciated!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Competition Dress Insights?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
The most important measurement for skating dresses is the girth/nape/torso.  One can be the same height and weight as another person, but vastly different sizes in skating dresses!

There are a lot of retailers out there that have pre-made or custom dresses available.  Are you looking for something ready to buy?

Do you have a skating store nearby, or friends at the rink that you can try on their dresses, to see what kinds of styles and sizes you might be more comfortable with?  Once you have an idea, you can always go the ebay route.  There are a ton of dresses available, both used and new.  I bought used off ebay for my last competition dress, and I LOVE it so much I might keep my music so I can wear the dress again.   ;)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
If all else fails, try Ebay.  If you want something new and there's enough time (about a month), there are Ebay stores with skating dresses.  You have to put in a search of "baton twirling dresses".  The stores are all located in China, which is why you need time.  You could have it altered at a cleaners once it arrives.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
I've looked at some of the sizing charts which put me at about an adult medium for the nape (long torso) but every other measurement puts me down a size.  If I buy ready-made, is it pretty easy to hem up the excess fabric in the middle or is this something where I'm going to have to go custom.

Sadly no skatewear stores around me so I am stuck doing some internet scrounging

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:25:41 PM »
The most important measurement is the girth.  If you get a smaller size based on your waist measurement, you'll be suffering from a wedgie :P  And the skirt might be too short for you.  You might need some help, but you can fix the waist a lot easier.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:51:49 AM »
It also depends on how tight you like to wear your dresses. Sometimes they talk about comfortable fit and competition fit. To me competition fit means, it's a right hassle getting the dress over your hips and fiddly to get your arms in. It's fine once it's on. It's getting it on that's the problem.
Personally I'd rather the comfortable fit because I end up taking it on and off about three times on a competition day as I need the bathroom!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »
I just ordered a dress from China.  My first competition dress ever.  While I skated as a kid, my parents belonged to this crazy religion and I wasn't allowed to compete.  i could test as a kid, but no competitions.  The funny thing about that crazy religion was that inside the congregation, it was super competitive between the members.  Now, I TOTALLY LEFT the religion, I and others who left it call it a cult, and am going to my very first competition, this winter.

Anyway, this is the ebay number:  350789633057 .  I can't seem to get the picture to copy/paste.  No one in my family is too excited, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

It is black.  But, I really liked the cut.  Hoping it's fabulous on.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
Anyway, this is the ebay number:  350789633057 . 

Gorgeous!  I have this one bookmarked on my Pinterest account.  Good taste!
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
I just looked at those dresses, they are gorgeous. I would definitely order one of those. However, won't it be too cold to compete in them? I've always wondered how skaters can wear dresses that belong in 90-degree weather at freezing rinks. Perhaps, there is a tan-color undershirt that you can buy somewhere?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
I just looked at those dresses, they are gorgeous. I would definitely order one of those. However, won't it be too cold to compete in them? I've always wondered how skaters can wear dresses that belong in 90-degree weather at freezing rinks. Perhaps, there is a tan-color undershirt that you can buy somewhere?

Skaters sometimes wear warmup jackets for the first couple minutes or if they are waiting around. But once they get on ice, there's enough cardio to keep warm :)  Plus the tights are rather thick.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »
You also need to factor in adrenaline and nerves.  Once I'm in starting position for my program, being cold is the last thing I am thinking about.  As soon as I get off the ice, though, I want my jacket and gloves back on! 

The black dress is beautiful!  I ordered a China eBay dress and was very happy with it.  It was a little long in girth but since it was a halter style, my coach was able to alter it by shortening the halter straps.   I didn't think the clasp was secure enough either so at the same time she removed the plastic clasp and sewed on a metal snap and a metal clasp.  No wardrobe malfunctions!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »
The most important measurement is the girth.  If you get a smaller size based on your waist measurement, you'll be suffering from a wedgie :P  And the skirt might be too short for you.  You might need some help, but you can fix the waist a lot easier.

I wish they made more Tall sizes.  I'm only 5'4" but my girth long. 
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »
Anyway, this is the ebay number:  350789633057 .  I can't seem to get the picture to copy/paste.  No one in my family is too excited, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

It is black.  But, I really liked the cut.  Hoping it's fabulous on.

It is beautiful!!!! :)  I've ordered from that company on Ebay as well and I've never been disappointed.  Enjoy!!
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline vahornet

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 06:24:33 PM »
I ended up ordering an unbeaded Brad Griffies dress, hopefully it fits. If not, a quick trip to the tailor may be in order.  I have decided to try my hand at stoning the dress myself.  I hope I have enough patience, wine and chick flicks to complete the task! Never been exceptionally crafty but there's always a first

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »

Trust me, you don't feel it. I actually would probably do better with short sleeves - I tend to hyperventilate a bit and overheat.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
I ended up ordering an unbeaded Brad Griffies dress, hopefully it fits. If not, a quick trip to the tailor may be in order.  I have decided to try my hand at stoning the dress myself.  I hope I have enough patience, wine and chick flicks to complete the task! Never been exceptionally crafty but there's always a first

I thought the hardest part of stoning my dress myself was deciding what I wanted to do with the stones! Good luck to you!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
Brad's dresses are cut for women, not for pre-pubescent girls, and the skirts cover things nicely.  My DD wears his styles, and they make her look feminine, attractive,and everything that should be covered is covered, and the cut is flattering.