You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What to expect with brand new skates?  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Traceekins

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
What to expect with brand new skates?
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:15 PM »
Hello all,

I just started figure skating classes about 4 weeks ago, and I've been having a blast. I decided to get serious about the sport and invest in a good pair of skates. I purchased Jackson Elles, and they fit wonderfully.

I took them out for the first time and today and was ... surprised, to say the least. I felt a little wobbly (maybe because if the stiffness) and I did a lovely faceplant after tripping over the toe pick. The blade feels a lot thicker on the ice than rentals...

The Pro Shop sharpened them, mounted the blades and waterproofed them. Also, I didn't realize the shop would use what looks like hot glue on the bottom of the boot. Looks like not all of the holes were drilled with screws, too. Is this normal?

Finally, what should I expect? A few more rough days before I get used to it? What about the toe pick issue? I kept feeling like I was going to trip (and I did). I used to rollerblade so perhaps I'm skating with my toes too much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: What to expect with brand new skates?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »
New skates are always hard to break in - most people totally hate breaking in new skates and because you are a new skater moving up from rentals I can imagine that this is going to be a LOT different.

Keep skating, keep working with the boots and blades - the blades feel thicker?  I wonder if they are a little "grabby" because you actually have edges (rental skates often have no real edges to them) - and the toe pick is probably bigger - you will learn how to put your weight on a place on the blade so you don't trip over that blade soon enough!

It is totally normal to not put a screw in every hole - they are basically "saving" the holes for another time when you might put a different blade on the skate or something like that.  You don't need every screw in there at all.  Totally normal.

Good luck and have fun with your new skates!  My guess is that before you know it they will feel totally comfortable and you will be happy to never have to skate on rentals again!
 :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
It takes about 8-10 hours to get used to new skate combinations and break in the skates.  Leave the top hook undone for a few more hours of skating.  It will give you more knee bend and lessen the toepick trips.

The hot glue-like stuff is silicone sealant.  A lot of blade mounters use it to seal the blade plate to the boot.  It prevents water from getting in between and causing mold or boot rot.  (Not an issue in roller skates.)

Temporary blade mountings only use the slottd holes in the blades.  If, after a few more hours of skating, the blades don't feel like they're under your foot correctly, you can ask the shop to change the alignment.  Make sure to have the permanent screws put in before your next sharpening. (Sharpen every 20-30 hours)

Unless you use rockered roller blades, like pic skates, you probably are pushing with your toes too much and carrying your weight too far forward on the blade.  Try to flex your foot as you push with the inside edge and carry your weight more in the middle of the blade.  Note that figure skate blades have a curve near the front - that's used for turns and spins.  When you're gliding forward, keep your weight over the ball of the foot.

Welcome to skatingforums!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:40:34 AM »
Hello all,

I just started figure skating classes about 4 weeks ago, and I've been having a blast. I decided to get serious about the sport and invest in a good pair of skates. I purchased Jackson Elles, and they fit wonderfully.

I took them out for the first time and today and was ... surprised, to say the least. I felt a little wobbly (maybe because if the stiffness) and I did a lovely faceplant after tripping over the toe pick. The blade feels a lot thicker on the ice than rentals...

The Pro Shop sharpened them, mounted the blades and waterproofed them. Also, I didn't realize the shop would use what looks like hot glue on the bottom of the boot. Looks like not all of the holes were drilled with screws, too. Is this normal?

Finally, what should I expect? A few more rough days before I get used to it? What about the toe pick issue? I kept feeling like I was going to trip (and I did). I used to rollerblade so perhaps I'm skating with my toes too much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would say that since your skates have been siliconed, it seems like you have your permanent mounting already in place.  So not having all the screws in is fine.  The mounter will usually use about half.  The reason for this is if you need new blades, they can be mounted without issue.  Also if for some reason something needs to be moved, there are holes for that.  Not an issue at all and don't worry about it :)

Offline Traceekins

• Rink Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:30:44 AM »
So much great information!! :) I feel so much better about my new skates and I'm excited get back out there and practice. I have a feeling that I am skating with my weight on my toes and not the ball of my foot, so I'll have to re-learn forward strokes. No more face planting for me!

Thank you so much!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »
I would say that since your skates have been siliconed, it seems like you have your permanent mounting already in place.  So not having all the screws in is fine.  The mounter will usually use about half.  The reason for this is if you need new blades, they can be mounted without issue.  Also if for some reason something needs to be moved, there are holes for that.  Not an issue at all and don't worry about it :)

Sllicone is used by some techs for both temporary and permanent mountings.  It can be easily removed and replaced if a blade needs adjustments.  Silicone doesn't provide any substantial reinforcement to the mountings - the screws can be loosened and the blades moved with little effort.

Temporary mountings use the slotted screw holes.  This allows for adjustments.
Permanent mountings use the round screw holes.  Once installed, they can't be adjusted unless the tech plugs the holes and makes new ones. 

Some fitters will use every screw hole when installing the permanent screws, but most use 4 (2 @ toe, 2 @ heel) for the permanent mount.  This allows the unused holes to be used if the initial screws fail or loosen up.  That provides a quick fix if the blade comes loose at an inconvenient time.

There's no truth to the theory that the extra holes are for a different blade.  That's just not true because the holes in higher-level blade plates are created by eye at the factory.  Most of the slotted holes line up, but the round holes are often in a different position.  The best fitters never mount new blades without filling the old ones first because empty holes allow boot rot to take place.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »
If you are ending up on your toes too much, it's probably because the boots are stiff in the tongue and ankle and you can't bend your ankles (and knees) as deeply as you normally do.  Don't lace them all the way up until they break in a little.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »
Ah, new skates...the thrill and excitement fades about 2 seconds after you step on the ice in them for the first time!

You'd also find if you went back to rentals now, even after just one practice in the new skates, they'd feel really weird too.

Don't worry, each time you skate in them will get easier! You're not reporting any pain, so that's an excellent sign. I imagine the toepick is substantially larger than the one on the rentals.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Ah, new skates...the thrill and excitement fades about 2 seconds after you step on the ice in them for the first time!

OMG so true!  While you are waiting for the skates to arrive, get the blades put on, etc., etc., you are thinking, "Oh I will be able to skate so much better in my new skates!.

Then when you step onto the ice the reality sets in.

It will take a little while but be persistent and keep wearing your new skates!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 03:06:50 AM »
OMG so true!  While you are waiting for the skates to arrive, get the blades put on, etc., etc., you are thinking, "Oh I will be able to skate so much better in my new skates!.

Wibble!  :'( (New boots and blades on order!  :P)

Traceekins - Hope you enoy your new skates once you get used to them. :)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »

It will take a little while but be persistent and keep wearing your new skates!

True indeed!  I am breaking in a new pair of boots.  Tonight will be my 3rd time on the ice.  I was super excited to get boots that aren't pinching the heck out of my toes.  Then I got on the ice and oh, the stiffness.  My coach said it was a bit normal to feel like everything is going to the toes in new boots.  As others have said, not lacing the top hooks will help.  Also realizing that after a few more sessions, those skates will be awesome.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »
Yep, dropping my brand new boots and almost broken down skates off tomorrow to be mounted.  I know for a week or two I will be like  :o but in a month I will be more like  :love:

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 06:53:43 PM »
Mine when I got blades mounted on, it was sorta like rubber cement used as a buffer. You don't need ALL the screws drilled in, but you should have at least two screws for adjustment screwed in on top, and 2 screws for holding the blade on (the adjustment ones are usually screws that stick out, and the stationary screws are usually flat with the blade.) Bottom I think mine only have one adjustment screw done (out of 2) and I think both stationary screws. It might be different and I'm too lazy to bring my skates upstairs, but this is how I remember it. The problem with using all the holes comes from if you ever switch blades, there's a bunch of holes that need to be patched up.

The toepick you'll have to get used to, just remember to stay back, and stand up straight. Don't try leaning forward. Forward lean+figure skates=no good. If you have terrible posture without skating, then skating will be sure to get it better.

Try lacing up only the first hook, not the other 3-4 (well my Edeas have only 3, but most boots I see have more.) Then you'll be able to move your ankle forwards. You should be able to put at least 2 fingers in between your calf and boot when it's laced up. Eventually you'll lace up all the way after the boots are really broken in. 

For the blades, lastly, you might want to keep track of the radius they're getting sharpened at. I personally don't do well with a really deep hollow on the bottom of my skate. It makes it very grabby. It also makes it feel like you're getting "whipped" around more when trying to do stuff. Basically, deeper the hollow, the more you'll "stick" in the ice, and the faster your stops and stuff will be. The shallower, the more glide you'll get, stops will be slower. It's a really personal thing, some people really love a deep hollow, others like it more shallow. Generally lower bodyweight means deeper hollow and vice versa.

And yes, break in time and getting used to the boots.

Offline Traceekins

• Rink Rat
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
Hi all, just wanted to say THANK YOU again for the great advice. I left the top loops unlaced and it made a tremendous difference. No more unnecessary face planting for me! Now that I've broken them in, I can lace them up all the way with no stiffness or pain. I've made great progress since I got my own skates. I've made it to Beta level now, woo hoo! :)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 02:49:47 AM »
Hi all, just wanted to say THANK YOU again for the great advice. I left the top loops unlaced and it made a tremendous difference. No more unnecessary face planting for me! Now that I've broken them in, I can lace them up all the way with no stiffness or pain. I've made great progress since I got my own skates. I've made it to Beta level now, woo hoo! :)

Wahoo! Congrats!